Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cast your vote for Admiral! (please, military players ONLY)

Aaron Jacken (Karlito)
- 5 (29.4%)
Jarod Cain (Jarod Cain)
- 12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: September 30, 2012, 01:14:43 pm

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora: Battlestar Artemis -- DAY 6  (Read 69692 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Battlestar Artemis -- DAY 6
« Reply #555 on: November 19, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »

((So the use of these missiles could prove very useful in CQ action then? :)))
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »

((The raider are probably around 300 tons (I don't think we got exact tonnage yet), so size 6. (6/150)^2*18500k=29,6k km. You need to get at insanely close range. And keep within that range. Since the Raider can gain ~15 k km per 5-sec increment, it's going to be a problem.))

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 20, 2012, 09:12:43 am »

((Good point. Let me give you the intel as observed so far.))

"Basestar":
Unknown tonnage, presumed 50,000+
Thermal signature: 2399
Top observed speed: 2214
Observed active sensor: Strength 210, Resolution 100, Max Range 210.0m km, GPS: 21000

At least 12 distinct basestars were observed on Colonial DRADIS network in the Helios system before its destruction.

"Raider":
Cross section: 4
Estimated tonnage: 200
Thermal signature: 57
Armour: 1
ECM: 0
Top observed speed: 14285 km/s

2x Gauss Cannon: Damage 1, Rate of Fire 5, Range Modifier 6, Observed Range 57800km

A very short range DRADIS beacon was observed on Raiders in the recent engagement, rated Strength 2.1, Resolution 6.
Colonial DRADIS network recorded in excess of 1000 Raiders in the Helios system.
Gun camera analysis indicates that the Raider can absorb a surprising amount of damage while remaining operational, despite its thin armor. However, hits to the aft thruster ports seem to generate sympathetic explosions which reach the fuel tank and rip the craft apart. It is therefore advised that pilots focus fire on these thrusters whenever possible.
((The engines are like -50% efficiency, so I think they have 100% to explode when hit. All but one kill were from engine hits, IIRC.))
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:21:53 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 20, 2012, 09:15:55 am »

((Okay, so missiles strike against Raiders are impossible. Also, when the Raider get inside the PD umbrella of Artemis, our main guns will have (6250/14285)*(1-50000/960000)*100) a 41,4% chance to hit. It means we can expect 40 shots to hit. Even at the current range, we can expect 21,9% of shots to hit. We then will need 60 minutes to reload, or 4 rounds of fire from the Raiders until we can shoot again. During those 4 rounds, our PD might very well rip them to shred. So it's up to our CO to decide whether to fire now or hold until PD range))
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:28:07 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 20, 2012, 09:24:51 am »

((Okay, so missiles strike against Raiders are impossible.))
((Looks like it. Which is fine by me, I didn't really intend the HD-70s to be used for anti-fighter duties anyways. My conception of them is that they are designed for ground targets and strikes on large, slow vessels like pirates and scavs. After all, the last forty years there haven't been any Cylons to design against...))

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 21, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »

((Since we're "between episodes", I thought I'd add this as background material that most everybody should be familiar with, as well as providing a bit of a teaser as to future storylines...))

COLONIAL NAVY MANUAL, SECTION 47D: Non-Colonial Humans

Not all men accept the wisdom of the Quorum or the light of the gods. As large as the Children of Kobol are, there have been more than a few over the years who have forsaken their brothers and forged their way into the darkness. Religious dissidents. Criminals. Madmen. Those who refused to accept the end of slaving. Separatists who were on the losing side of the Unification War.

They bought or stole ships and ventured beyond the Colonies, beyond the warmth and light of Helios.
Most died.

But some found ways to sustain life. Planets with just enough air to breathe, comets with just enough water ice to use. Some of the ships had hydroponic gardens. But in the end, it was never enough to be sustainable. And so they crept back into the light, to steal from those they had forsaken.

Some claim that the Colonial Navy has outlived its usefulness, that with the Cylon threat a distant memory, we have nothing to protect against. But the pirates and the scavenegers...they are always out there, waiting for a hapless freighter filled with food, or a transport filled with people who could be pressed into slavery. They are a threat that will last as long as the human race does.

Threat Profile: PIRATES
While there is no single "class" of pirate vessel, all of Colonial design which have been reverse-engineered into vessels capable of hostile action. Some have scavenged weapons from Navy wrecks, others have weapons left over from the Unification War. A small handful were purpose-built warships from losing parties like the Tauron Naval Service or the Virgon Royal Navy. But in many cases, they are simple freighters or colony ships which have had much of their interior stripped out and replaced with weapons or traps. A frequent trap is to send a distress beacon and await a well-meaning rescuer to come alongside. The generally poor maintenance on such vessels gives credence to their story of equipment failure. Then when the unsuspecting vessel is at its most vulnerable, they strike with hidden weapons or board the vessel with armed men. The ship disappears and the fate of its crew is bleak indeed: spacing or slavery.

If on patrol in the outer system or beyond Helios, you are of course required to respond to all civilian distress beacons but be cautious.

Threat Profile: SCAVENGERS (or "Scavs")
Where pirates are the predators, scavengers remain to clean up the kill. Less directly confrontational, they drift around just off the commerce lanes, looking for ships who have have fallen afoul of natural dangers or mechanical failures or even picking through the wreckage of old battles and pirate attacks. Their ships may be minimally armed (more to discourage pirates than anything else), but they are no less merciless in their treatment of those they find. Slavery is the more common fate, as scavenger vessels frequently have more space to hold captives. Some scavs are exclusively slavers, looking for vessels in distress or even targeting fledgling colonies without a Colonial Marine presence.

The Pelamon-class is their preferred design, but obsolete models such as the Gracchus or Antaeus are more common.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 23, 2012, 06:28:23 am »

((What are we waiting for exactly?))

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 23, 2012, 06:36:37 am »

((I figured it was for the holiday to be over))
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 23, 2012, 06:46:41 am »

((Right, you american and your decadent love for turkey. BTW, did ou decide whether to shoot the Railguns now or wait until PD range?))

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 23, 2012, 07:37:02 am »

((Hmm... Looking at the numbers, I'm just going to hold fire with the main guns for now. They won't do much more good frankly.))
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 23, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »

Aboard Scorpion Tours Flight 347

"Sounds like the Vipers couldnt stop the... whatdidjacallum?"

"My old man called the Cylons toasters. But I think that was something the military came up with."

"Toasters..."

"Something to do with the heads on them. The eye plate reminded them of a toaster I heard. Oh, by the way, what's our ETA on the jump?"

"I'm not sure, I'm trying to pull up the history this system we're heading towards."
Signature goes here.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 23, 2012, 01:38:07 pm »

"Bittersweet was lost in the battle confusion but was now pursuing furiously, in an attempt to make up for his sloppy performances"

"I'll show them off. I'll show them all"

I'll try to intercept enemy missiles should an opportunity arise

((sorry for missing the update I just moved from Italy to Dublin and setting up services here is a pita))

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 23, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »

"I'm not sure, I'm trying to pull up the history this system we're heading towards."

Civilian Gazeteer -- Cerberus

Uninhabited, restricted to Colonial Navy vessels only. Although several corporations have expressed interest in establishing settlements in the system, all petitions to the Quorum to date have been denied.

((Basically, everything outside of Helios has been off-limits to civilians since Unification. One possible reason being, the Navy doesn't/didn't have the logistics in place to allow them to protect multiple star systems.))

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 23, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »

"Looks like nothing, cap. It's the big empty."

"Great... Wait, wasn't there a group of wildcat miners out there? Some sort of political scandal right before the war? Or was that in the Weekly Twelve Worlds News?"

"Sir, the only thing I know about the cylon war is that my great uncle tried to marry a sexbot."

"Really?"

"Family's dirty laundry. I was sworn to secrecy. I'm telling you now because it was one of those family secrets that got constantly brought up on holidays. I figure someone else should know it. It looks like I'm the only one left."

"Relax pilot, there are some cryoships nearby, filled with lonely colonists daughters. You'll have a family."

"Captain, the freaking sky just fell in. Plus, I've heard that those colonist daughters are all 6'7" and 250 pounds."
Signature goes here.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 26, 2012, 09:21:52 am »

(Onboard the Ployphemus)
Damn, this is going frakking bad real quick...
*Speaks on intercom*
Full speed to jump point. I say again, full speed.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40