Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivers, broken?  (Read 3361 times)

razt125

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Rivers, broken?
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:21:09 am »

Rivers seem to be slightly broken. Walking around them (which is sometimes impossible) can take a vary long time. Crossing through them causes me to lose my whole group and get slaughtered when I actually get to my objective. I ask that in the next version rivers can be crossable in travel map or at least make companions able to swim.

Am I the only one who this stuff happens to?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rivers, broken?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:26:45 am »

Losing companions in rivers is very, very frecuent.

There are only two solutions.

1: wait until night and cross the river while frozen.

2: teach your companions to swim (difficult, but possible)

In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:26:37 pm »

3. Use bridges, which can be traversed in fast travel.

4. Cross the river and wait/sleep for an hour on the other side. You will awake finding your companions miraculously besides you, very undrowned.

5. Cross the river, bumping each and every one of your companions by walking into them (causing you to swap tiles) until all have crossed.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:48:30 pm »

Broken?  Nothing in Dwarf Fortress is truly broken.  In real life, rivers are damn hard to cross if you can't swim.
But yeah, fast traveling/waiting/sleeping should teleport them, or you could let them flail, possibly drown, and hopefully level up their skill.  They're pretty difficult to get around, so I prefer to just not do some of those quests if the river is too large.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »

Yeh it's annoying having to drop out of the map to cross. But the alternative would probably be some randomized chance of an Oregon Trail type message along the lines of "You have drowned in the river. Bummer. End Game?" Instead of the way it is now where you can search for a narrow spot return to the bank if you get into trouble, get mauled by hippos, etc.

Arguably they aren't tough enough. Lets see any of us go swimming in full plate, while carrying 5 weapons and a dead cow.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:06:04 pm »

Arguably they aren't tough enough. Lets see any of us go swimming in full plate, while carrying 5 weapons and a dead cow.

"You flounder in the water!"
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:21:43 pm »

flounder implies (mostly) floating, or at least suspended.  Plummet or drop is better. 
   Interesting question: would it be possible to mold lightweight nonporeous material (metal) into an 'air bubble' and how big would it have to be to be effective if not practical?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 09:59:23 pm »

Interesting question: would it be possible to mold lightweight nonporeous material (metal) into an 'air bubble' and how big would it have to be to be effective if not practical?

You mean a submarine? Or more of a diving bell? The latter is impossible, I think, due to water physics. Anything 'submerged' is considered drowning, even if they technically are in a sealed container.  The former might work, but I don't know if you can get multi-tile constructions to move under your own power.
Playing since 2007

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 06:47:23 am »

My solution is this: Try to distract your companions with an animal close to the river, jump into the river and cross it, keep trying to enter the travel view once you've crossed. If you can do so before your companions try to get into the water (Or even if they do, at least before they drown) then they'll be absolutely fine once you start travelling. Works for me 99.8% of the time, even if they're mid-fall from a waterfall.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 09:11:27 am »

I just swim across and fast travel on the other side as soon as I can. Most of the time, that's faster than they can drown.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:44 am »

Somewhat related to this, the other day I walked across a bridge that just terminated in the wall of the other bank... because the river was a gorge, a path lead down to 1 z level above the river on the east but not on the west.  So bridges broken in this case.  Is this a common problem??
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 12:49:29 pm »

It is not broken! tis only survival of the fittest  those at survive are the real compainons

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:13:11 pm »

"You flounder in the water!"

Which basically doesn't happen anymore at swimming level ~3/20
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:13:40 pm »

In real life? Certainly possible.

In DF? Not yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.