Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Marksdwarves not training  (Read 9277 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves not training
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »

I have an archery range on the surface set up for them to train at, I have them designated to train and everything, all of the archery targets are for them, and yet they don't go. They're standing in place like an idiot with "Go to archery practice" as their current task. What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT: I've got over 5000 units of ammunition and these retards are not filling their quivers... what the heck?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Marksdwarves not training
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:07:21 pm »

Too many dwarves under your train command.

Go to (m)ilitary screen, then (s)chedule. (e) for edit order, then + and - until you get one less dwarf needed to train than there are dwarves in the group. See, it starts at 10, which means that in order for the group to train, 10 dwarves in the squad need to be ready to train.

It is a bit hard to explain, but look up military training on Youtube. Preferably Capnduck (he's the best). When I find the video, I will post it here.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:08:34 pm »

Too many dwarves? So more than one squad training at a time is too many? :P

Also that still doesn't explain why these idiots aren't picking up ammo. We have more than plenty of that.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:11:54 pm by sadron »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »

(f) ammunition. Make sure your dwarves have ammo for training and combat, then up the amount of ammo they can have (I have a squad of 9 dwarves set to hold 1000 bolts). Granted, they won't carry all of it, but that allows them to go and get more if they run out of ammo.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:19:27 pm »

(f) ammunition. Make sure your dwarves have ammo for training and combat, then up the amount of ammo they can have (I have a squad of 9 dwarves set to hold 1000 bolts). Granted, they won't carry all of it, but that allows them to go and get more if they run out of ammo.
Ammo is alloted, both C and T. Just for whatever reason they're ignoring the archery targets I have set up.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 07:22:07 pm »

Targets facing the right direction? Is the right squad set to train there?

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:27:12 pm »

Targets facing the right direction? Is the right squad set to train there?
Unless bottom to top doesn't mean shoot north, yes and yes.

And they all have crossbows, so it isn't that I accidentally gave them all another weapon by mistake.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:37:22 pm by sadron »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »

In the military scheduling, are theyset to train? If here are fewer then 10, how many in the military schedule are set to train? if more then your squad, lower it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:58:59 pm »

In the military scheduling, are theyset to train? If here are fewer then 10, how many in the military schedule are set to train? if more then your squad, lower it.
I'll give it a shot. They're all set to train from the default active/training alert.

EDIT: Nope, not a single one is going to the archery range, they're still being retarded and just standing around "going to archery practice".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:10:06 pm by sadron »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:36 pm »

I'll give it a shot. They're all set to train from the default active/training alert.

EDIT: Nope, not a single one is going to the archery range, they're still being retarded and just standing around "going to archery practice".
Once again, make sure that you aren't ordering 10 to train while only having 9 in the squad.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:58:27 pm »

Once again, make sure that you aren't ordering 10 to train while only having 9 in the squad.
Why do people still think that this causes problems? People said this back in 0.31.xx, but I've set 3-marksdwarf squads to "Train 10/10" numerous times and they've always worked just fine. This is NOT the problem!

If their job shows up as "Go to Archery Practice" but they aren't heading for the range, then there's something wrong with the range itself. You checked the firing direction - what about firing distance? Is there a complete stretch of floor between the firing position and the target itself (i.e. don't try to channel out the floor to recover bolts - it won't work)? Are you sure you haven't accidentally forbidden the archery targets' building materials? Have you confirmed that they're actually capable of walking to the archery targets (i.e. Station them in the room)?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 09:32:55 pm »

Yep, yep, yep.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:46:48 pm »

Targets facing the right direction?
Unless bottom to top doesn't mean shoot north, yes.

Umm, yes, "Bottom to Top" means that the archery target is north of the dwarf shooting at it - the dwarf is shooting towards the top of your screen.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 09:58:02 pm »

Upload a savegame somewhere, then - without being able to directly look at your fortress, it's difficult to figure out what's wrong with it, and some advanced players might not think of asking about really simple things because they figure everybody already knows how to do it correctly.

[edit] Things like this: Do they have their weapons equipped? Are they wearing quivers? Do their quivers contain any ammo? How much ammo? Is said ammo made of a material designated for Training or Combat?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:01:08 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 03:38:42 am »

This happened to me once. I think it has something to do with them being your guard squad instead of your military squad. Are they under the orders of the Captain of the guard or a regular Commander?

Mine were guards, and they spent all the time dispensing justice and patroling the guardtower and ignored training altogether. Maybe it's an issue/bus with guards having crossbows (I give them crossbows so that they don't kill dorfs during the beatings).
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.
Pages: [1] 2 3