Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Behold as Voyd rambles blindly and stupidly through Dwarf Fortress!  (Read 4316 times)

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
Re: Behold as Voyd rambles blindly and stupidly through Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 10:11:04 pm »

Yeah, I figured it out.

But winter is still here, and I've noticed some of my dorfs going a lot slower than they usually do. This can't be good.

And then spring sprung and I'm STILL low on food.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:14:15 pm by Voyd211 »
Apparently, I am the first person to ever say "Screw You in All Your Finery."

!!SCIENCE!! team has vapor for brains.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »

Are you bringing any dwarfs with a few points in grower skill on your embark?  This can make your food/drink supplies go a lot farther, since they create bigger stacks of plants from each seed.

Also don't forget you can designate plants from the country side for gathering, and then if you have seeds afterwards, create above ground farms.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 10:25:20 pm »

Yeah, I figured it out.

But winter is still here, and I've noticed some of my dorfs going a lot slower than they usually do. This can't be good.

And then spring sprung and I'm STILL low on food.
Congratulations! You made it through the first year!

As for your food problem, make a bowyers workshop and make a wooden or bone crossbow. One will work, but get like 3. Secondly, make a craftsdwarfs workshop and make wooden bolts or bone bolts (under bone or wood category) and keep doing it until you have rediculous stacks of it. Thirdly, set a few dwarves to hunting labor and hauling and NOTHING ELSE. Hopefully, you embarked where there are at least SOMETHING able to be hunted AND walks on the ground. Unlike my current sucession fort where EVERYTHING CAN FLY -.- but still, you'll have a quick sorta military set up for an EXTREME IN CASE OF EMERGENCY (wooden/bone bolts aren't good against armor). Plus, if you got giant animals, ALOT of food will be pumped in, for example: giant grasshopper: 300+ units of meat ALONE
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 10:28:16 pm »

Fishing is a fine way to feed an early fort. Also, I usually just set every dwarf but one to mining, and one to woodcutting, at least at the start. Build things out of rock, not wood. Set up the first farm, and when the first migration comes, those guys get to be farmers. Master Metalsmith? Welcome to Farmmurdered. Professional brewer? Get Planting. This DOES mean that you need to bring enough food and booze to survive half a year.After that, my dwarves are practically vegetarians, except for unwanted pet disposal and a little bit of supplementary fish.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 10:31:02 pm »

TOO MANY MIGRANTS

I have 29 citizens in Deathjudged. Gaaaaaaahh! Well, if nothing else they're cleaning out my fort by putting all the rocks on the stockpile.

Edit: Holy crap, I never thought I'd be so glad to see elves. Best part is, all I'm giving them is a half-ton of rock. No reason for them to go ballistic on me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:44:49 pm by Voyd211 »
Apparently, I am the first person to ever say "Screw You in All Your Finery."

!!SCIENCE!! team has vapor for brains.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 01:42:58 am »

Try using one of the embark profiles which come along with the Lazy Newb pack. Don't change too much, just check that you have picks and an axe and add a few dogs, a pair of cats and some poultry. (Hens of different kinds only cost 6 embark points. Some of them lay huge amounds of eggs which can be cooked into meals and help feed your dwarves. You don't need anything but a few nistboxes, made by your craftsdwarf, and a kitchen).

Always a must: Enough picks for your miners - e. g. 2 miners: 2 picks.
You only need one axe because you always can make training axes out of wood, if you want to have more than one woodcutter.

Bring all 4 alcoholic drinks (15 or 20 of each), that will bring your dwarves through the first year.
Also: Plump helmets (30 to 50), plump helmet spawns, 10 or so seeds of all plants); 20-30 meat of different kind (take the cheap ones for 2 embark points; maybe some of the available fish).

Fishing or hunting during the first year shouldn't be necessary, you need your dwarves to do other tasks. With the migration waves you will later get more hunters and fishers than you can imagine. ;)

You get two draft animals for free for you wagon. In times of need, slaughter them for huge amounts of meat and other valuable stuff, including a hide. (You will need a butcher's and tanner's shop and the appropriate labors turned on on a dwarf.)

Some of the embark profiles spend valuable points on expensive products like splints, crutches, buckets, which can be made easily out of wood at your carpenter's shop (provided you have trees in your embark area).
Also there are sometimes expensive bags and ropes - you can make those at the appropriate workshops out of the raw materials which is way cheaper. Consider bringing some leather bags for 10 points each instead of pig tail bags which cost 20. Don't bring too much costly cloth if you can choose cheaper ones (wool or leather).

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 09:33:34 pm »

TOO MANY MIGRANTS

I have 29 citizens in Deathjudged. Gaaaaaaahh! Well, if nothing else they're cleaning out my fort by putting all the rocks on the stockpile.

Edit: Holy crap, I never thought I'd be so glad to see elves. Best part is, all I'm giving them is a half-ton of rock. No reason for them to go ballistic on me.
Turn the rock into more useable crap by using a craftsdwarfs workshop!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 2 [3]