Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Automated minecart shotgun! Dwarfputing gone wild!  (Read 9359 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Automated minecart shotgun! Dwarfputing gone wild!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:01 am »

@OP: Very, very awesome, TinyPirate! I'm glad I didn't miss this thread. :) I'm looking forwards to making one of these myself now...
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35:33 am »

Think of the potential! How do thrown trap components behave? Do they hit as blunt objects, or a serrated disk is a frisbee of doom, and a menacing spike is guaranteed impalement with extreme prejudice?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 01:13:29 pm »

It's amazing that you actually found a useful purpose for dwarfputing  :D. Your memory cells look a little different from the ones I talked about. I'm not familiar with any tile sets really but I think I see what's going on and that's a neat little tweak. It's not as compact as mine but i'm a bit of an efficiency freak when it comes to that and it looks like a better alternative to this one:

In that less is moving at any one time for yours and I think yours deactivates faster. Can you time it in steps from the time power is applied to the time when the carts move onto and off the pressure plate? (not when the plate activates or deactivates)

EDIT: In actuality I think your version is several times faster when activating since you don't need to push a 2nd cart to do it. I'd like to add it to my topic on minecart dwarfputing if you will. Now it seems like there's 2 optimum versions of memory cells with their own particular advantages, mine with space efficiency and yours with speed. Did you make it yourself or did you see it somewhere else?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:29:32 pm by BloodBeard »

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

use gold spiked balls or if your map has tons of platinum use that

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 02:44:10 pm »

BloodBeard! I thought this was your design! Not the really efficient 3-space one (I didn't want to fiddle with weights), just the basic 4 track space one. Hmm. Now I am wondering what I missed! Feel free to share or mess around with to your heart's content. I will provide a save tonight if that would help.

I will have to try a variety of warheads. Only 8 statues is a little few - I should tell my dwarves to stop making them, I have 300 stored up. Trap weapons seem ok, arrows too, gold. Are seem surprisingly effective because they cause the bad guys toget pushed around and this adds more damage (although relatively light).

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 03:38:20 pm »

The 4 tracked one wasn't of my design. It was described in the How Does Minecart thread but never actually demonstrated, even in ASCII art untill my thread. The one talked about in my thread had both minecarts at the very top or bottom of the track where both moved to the other end while yours more or less acts like a newton's cradle, which is far more effective. Heh, sometimes the best science is accidental.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 03:49:54 pm »

Shit, I am accidentally efficient? I rock! Well, I recall that my first build involved carts at top and bottom but the carts don't push right and the memory cell never worked. I thought staggering them was what I was meant to do.

I will try and take some measurements tonight.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »

You probably didn't have something right initially cause i've gotten it to work, but it was a good thing then :D

I'm editing my thread and hope you don't mind me naming it the Newton's Cradle Memory Cell. Sounds a lot cooler than the long ass names i've given them because I couldn't think of anything.

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 04:42:06 pm »

BloodBeard! I thought this was your design! Not the really efficient 3-space one (I didn't want to fiddle with weights), just the basic 4 track space one. Hmm. Now I am wondering what I missed! Feel free to share or mess around with to your heart's content. I will provide a save tonight if that would help.

I will have to try a variety of warheads. Only 8 statues is a little few - I should tell my dwarves to stop making them, I have 300 stored up. Trap weapons seem ok, arrows too, gold. Are seem surprisingly effective because they cause the bad guys toget pushed around and this adds more damage (although relatively light).

well you could us barrels of FB extract i you wanted to play with dangerous things
or use artifact weapons since there un-destroyable

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 05:15:18 pm »

well you could us barrels of FB extract i you wanted to play with dangerous things
or use artifact weapons since there un-destroyable
I don't think flinging objects at high velocities break objects in DF.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 08:48:37 pm »

Were the ballista bolts made of wood or metal? If wood, then they probably just did blunt damage because they weren't very sharp...

Metal bolts, also tried a metal arrowhead this time as well.

Spoiler: for length (click to show/hide)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 01:19:07 am »

BloodBeard: so I have invented something and demonstrated minecart memory cells for the first time ("on film")? Wow, I am so chuffed! And yes, I see the difference now. Is anyone sure the original design works? I haven't seen carts push each other so both move at once, only Newton's Craddle-like behavior.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 04:10:02 am »

Can't watch it at work, but if it works like you say than it is awesome:)

Oh, and could you please provide a savegame so I can inspect it on my own?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:11:40 am by omg_scout »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:30 pm »

BloodBeard: so I have invented something and demonstrated minecart memory cells for the first time ("on film")? Wow, I am so chuffed! And yes, I see the difference now. Is anyone sure the original design works? I haven't seen carts push each other so both move at once, only Newton's Craddle-like behavior.

They can be made to both move at the same time (I think the pusher needs to be heavier than the pushee for that), but it doesn't necessarilty need to be that way. The pusher only needs to push the other cart to the other end, and the roller continues to move the pusher to the other end and stopping against the other cart. That's how my smaller version works. When the heavier cart pushes the lighter one, they both shift to the other end at the same time, but when the lighter one pushes the heavy cart the heavy cart goes first, then the lighter. It's slower but it gets the job done all the same.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 07:31:55 am »

Second video! This one with a new FROGGER defense system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUF5R7hQppk
Pages: 1 [2] 3