Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Automated minecart shotgun! Dwarfputing gone wild!  (Read 9363 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Automated minecart shotgun! Dwarfputing gone wild!
« on: September 04, 2012, 02:53:38 pm »

Inspired by BloodBeard's post on minecart-based computing I challenged myself to make something computery in DF. To this end I have made an automated minecart shotgun, and I made a video about it too!

The automation is in the triggering and return functions, along with controlling access to the fortress. I could probably have made the machinery more compact but I find this understandable enough for me to build it relatively easily without getting too confused.

EDIT: Second video! This one with a new FROGGER defense system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUF5R7hQppk
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:32:11 am by TinyPirate »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Automated minecart shotgun! Dwarfputing gone wild!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

You, sir, are very very skilled. I like your thinking. Can you make your entire entrance defense as such? Automated defensive system.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »

Thanks! Not as skilled as those who have come before me, but I had a good time working out how to do this.

Kinda tempted to do a basic machinery video tutorial - just on using a single memory cell to keep a bridge closed when bad guys approach - would anyone be interested?

And yes, this is now my main entrance!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »

Thanks! Not as skilled as those who have come before me, but I had a good time working out how to do this.

Neither am I, and I have been here on and off for roughly... three years perhaps? Been playing for about five.

Kinda tempted to do a basic machinery video tutorial - just on using a single memory cell to keep a bridge closed when bad guys approach - would anyone be interested?

Definitely interested in learning. I suck at the technical components of DF.

And yes, this is now my main entrance!

Brilliant. Now you need to make a fortress in a savage embark that has an automated defense system and an undead pit.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:30:01 pm »

Your fort explains why gold is so valuable and why kings want gold scepters !

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 07:38:19 pm »

Yes! My revised plan is to include gold statues in the next cart loading. Statues take three bars to make - should be lethal being impaled by a statue showing the fight between Urist McUnfortunate and the slathering beast of doom, beware its deadly vapors!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »

Find slade. Please, Armok, yes.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 12:38:23 am »

Edit: never mind.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:33:48 pm by Malicus »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 12:55:28 am »

Found it - but getting rid of all those demons? And then doing those tricks to mine the stuff? Argg!

Statues is the next plan, gold ones, and whatever else amuses me to weaponize!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 12:59:35 am »

Found it - but getting rid of all those demons? And then doing those tricks to mine the stuff? Argg!

I can get you a smelter reaction to make slade. FOR !!SCIENCE!!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 04:28:46 am »

i think gold toys would be the best insult:

"The flying *Gold Mini-Forge* strikes the Troll in the head"

or maybe a ton of gold coffins - delicious irony.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 07:10:26 am »

This a thing of dwarven beauty, TinyPirate. 

Oh gee, however could you dispose of so many demons quickly just to try it?  :P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 08:52:09 am »

Yes! My revised plan is to include gold statues in the next cart loading. Statues take three bars to make - should be lethal being impaled by a statue showing the fight between Urist McUnfortunate and the slathering beast of doom, beware its deadly vapors!

The number of bars doesn't strictly determine the item's weight, though in this case statues (and slabs) are the heaviest furniture objects you can make; however, only 8 of them will fit in a minecart. If you want more fun, shoot steel ballista arrowheads - a single minecart holds 50 of them, and it's my recollection that the game has special logic for them in its projectile code. Anvils are the same size, and they ought to be even more amusing.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:20:06 am »

The number of bars doesn't strictly determine the item's weight, though in this case statues (and slabs) are the heaviest furniture objects you can make; however, only 8 of them will fit in a minecart. If you want more fun, shoot steel ballista arrowheads - a single minecart holds 50 of them, and it's my recollection that the game has special logic for them in its projectile code. Anvils are the same size, and they ought to be even more amusing.

Huh? So ballista bolts are currently bugged to be blunt*, but not the arrowheads?

*re-verified 5 minutes ago with a test 0.34.11 embark. I didn't test hitting people with just arrowheads, but only confirmed that ballista bolts are blunt when shot from a ballista.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 09:45:49 am »

Were the ballista bolts made of wood or metal? If wood, then they probably just did blunt damage because they weren't very sharp...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3