Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: How do you view the wealthy?  (Read 14687 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
How do you view the wealthy?
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:24 pm »

I'm just wondering, for many reasons. Being a teenager, I'm frequently exposed to doting over the latest this or that, and being in even the vaguest sense politically aware and deeply cynical about damn near everything about the way our society works, it's gotten to the stage where i don't listen to even the half decent youth music simply because of the high possibility that they're assholes, or possibly just ignorant idiots. You can't get away from it in this day or age, and the truly opulent are the ones who have enough sense to stay out of the public eye. It doesn't help that the vast majority of donations are token acts, and it does get rather tiring hearing about the latest thing Bill Gates is funding when he's exceptionally rich regardless. What makes it worse is how at least in my age group there's the blind willingness to jump on anyone the media throws up, e.g the bankers, but a blind eye is turned to anything they happen to like because they're good blokes really.

On the other hand, there is also the realization that you oft need money to use it effectively, and it's trappings can be useful in this regard. Nevertheless, I'd like to know the community's sentiments about this, as well as there general attitude to the approach, and the approach of the general public as well as their age group and peers.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: How do you view the wealthy?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »

I have to link this because it JUST came across my chat network:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/21-ways-rich-people-think-differently.html

If you're one of the brainwashed, worthless, middle class people the article talks about, you might have a hard time getting through. Because MAN does it condescend.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:58 pm »

I have no specific opinion of 'the wealthy' as a whole, because generalisations are bad, m'kay.  It would be nice if they had to pay a fairer amount of tax though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:15:59 pm »

If you're one of the brainwashed, worthless, middle class people the article talks about, you might have a hard time getting through. Because MAN does it condescend.

So...what I'm getting out of this is that rich people (excuse me, the "world-class") are basically sociopathic assholes. This seems to correlate with existing data.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:18:02 pm »

That is incredibly naive idiocy. I''m surprised more people aren't utterly embittered
Reading a thinner book

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:27 pm »

I have no specific opinion of 'the wealthy' as a whole, because generalisations are bad, m'kay.  It would be nice if they had to pay a fairer amount of tax though.

This, although funnily enough some of the wealthy actually think they should pay more taxes as well.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:33 pm »

So...what I'm getting out of this is that rich people (excuse me, the "world-class") are basically sociopathic assholes. This seems to correlate with existing data.

Pretty much. I especially liked the "Use other people's money" combined with "Middle class people are afraid of taking risks" part. Well, no fucking shit you're not afraid of taking risks, the "risk" is all on someone else if it fails! The last 3 years in America holds up their viewpoint to be utter bullshit for anyone but themselves.

I also liked how the article dodged the entire topic of inherited wealth. As though the "world-class" turned pennies into millions with sheer willpower and positive thinking. That describes probably 1/10th of 1% of wealthy people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:29 pm »

The wealthy are exactly the same as the poor. You have bastards and you have nice ones. As simple as that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »

Some very very rich people being rather un-dickish.

This, although funnily enough some of the wealthy actually think they should pay more taxes as well.

I never claimed they don't.  Some will support it, others oppose it. 

Also, I have no fucking idea what OP is on about in that quote/post.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:25:35 pm »

What I get out of that is that rich people can *gasp* afford to do more things because they have more money. WHAT A SHOCK.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »

The wealthy are exactly the same as the poor. You have bastards and you have nice ones. As simple as that.
Basically this, however I have more of a problem with the bastards if they are wealthy. I'm not sure why, it just seems wrong.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28:13 pm »

I need to find the article that actually related successful 1% businessmen and anti-social personality disorder. If I recall the main difference was socio-economic status of the parents. And yes, this was just for rags (or discount name-brand clothing) to riches type stories, most wealth is inherited and cycled at the top. Basically I see them as lucky bastards.

Also, that article says follow your passion to become rich? If I go into ecology I'm going to be one poor sucker compared to if I go into medicine.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:08 pm »

Of course they do, because the way things are going, yelling "let them eat cake" while laughing maniacally might end up with a public lynching. Or, on a less cynical note,they are very aware that breaking the system will render their wealth meaningless.

Of course, the way things are going, I dont know to what extent just throwing some handfuls of rice to the masses will work, but at least they do show a minimum of interest in maintaining social order, I guess
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:51 pm »

To clarify, i meant the creator of that terrible spiel you linked to. Most likely imbecilic manipulation rather then anything else, in retrospect.
Reading a thinner book

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:42:44 pm »

Basically I see them as lucky bastards.
With emphasis on the bastards part.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17