Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World gen for island embark?  (Read 1210 times)

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World gen for island embark?
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:32:30 am »

I read a thread recently about someone embarking on an island, which sounded pretty neat, so I set off myself with the idea of trying to generate a world with an island on it small enough to fit the entire embark site on (IE visible water on all 4 sides of the embark).

So far I've managed one world with an island that fits into a 15X15 embark.  I'm thinking it might not be all that bad, given that I won't have invasions and goblinite bringing down my FPS, not to mention lack of migrants.

But I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for world gens that might increase the number of small islands and give a better shot at a smaller embark.  So far I'm mostly increasing the erosion cycle count, with the hopes of causing big islands to dissolve into small ones during world gen.  I've also pumped up a few of the river related variables (afraid I don't remember which).  I've gone back and forth with full/partial edge oceans, but it doesn't really seem to increase the total amount of water that much - I just end up with less lakes/inner oceans when I do so.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Re: World gen for island embark?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:55 am »

I'm thinking it'd be too small on the overall world map, so you'd need to browse the ocean tiles for one.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:36:32 am »

I'm thinking it'd be too small on the overall world map, so you'd need to browse the ocean tiles for one.

If you export a detailed map, each pixel represents one tile in the 16x16 embark area, allowing you to find the islands easier.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:43:58 am »

I was thinking the same thing, and had been time-consumedly browsing across each 16X16 area on the embark screen.  Exporting sounds like it would make a lot more sense.  Will try that with a few, thanks!

Edit: well, so far still no luck, but it's a lot easier to scout a map now at least.  I'm wondering if there is some process in world gen that wipes the island off if it shrinks to a certain size.

Also trying increasing the Elevation X and Y var, in hopes that it will create some island patches with high elevation next to low and the low will get eroded away, leaving the high patches as the new island.  But not having a 100% handle on world gen, I don't know if that logic is sound.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:10:43 pm by donald »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »

You could always use the guide I posted a while back.

How To Generate Small Islands, A Guide

It's a bit time consuming but more reliable than looking off the coast in normally generated maps.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 06:38:15 pm »

If the ocean near your island freezes over, you can still get migrants/caravans/intruders.