Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What would you like to see in the new sites?  (Read 3398 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
What would you like to see in the new sites?
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:13:34 am »

What would you like to see in the new sites that Toady is adding in?

Dark Fortresses: Proper barracks! I'd also like to see training grounds for wild animals. I think Dark Fortresses should be able to expand like cities, with additional towers. There should be proper catacombs and enough opportunities for adventure besides killing off all the goblins.

Mountain Halls: I'd like to see an underground city like the human cities, except more three dimensional. Where the halls intersect caverns, I'd like to see gatehouses down there. Where magma is available, I'd like to see magma forges and distribution networks, as well as sewers and catacombs. I think mountain halls should have vaults where gems and valuable goods are kept.

Forest Retreats: Multi-tile trees! Forest Retreats should be able to accommodate the same industries as cities, if the goods can be made out of wood. Trees can and should have water inside them. They may also contain other !!FUN!!.

Caves: I think the cave generation could use a bit of a rewrite. These should be a little more open inside, and the ramps going down should range more in width. Kobold caves should have a crude fortification around the entrance, but otherwise can just have a bunch of loot and beds shoved inside. If the cave goes down to the caverns, there should be a fortification on the other side.

Surface Kobold camps could be wooden fortifications surrounded by ditches, or build on top of a mound of soil and rubble. Other sites that could use improvement or addition are walls and tunnels. OK these aren't actually sites, but if you embark over a tunnel, it should not be capped at the ends (unless the tunnel just *ends* on your map), and walls should go up. I think Goblins and humans should put up worldgen walls.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: What would you like to see in the new sites?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:55:59 am »

Dark Fortress: I'd like to see a proper challenge. Marksgobbos stationed on walls (avoidable by sneaking of course) and some nasty critters in certain sections. Perhaps dedicated pens for the very large critters, like the cave dragons and such. I'd rather not have traps implemented due to how impractical they really are when the people encountering them 99.9% of the time are the ones that they are trying to protect. Perhaps torture chambers, training arenas (for kidnapped children) and other atrocities would be appropriate, though I suppose something has to be left for the demon sites to work with.

Mountain Halls: Rooms carved and engraved (in key locations) with important events and/or cheese. Preferably some sort of grandiose multiple z-level engraved entrance with statues and the like if the fortress is sufficiently wealthy. I can see where magma forges would be a problem since magma is usually so far away, but maybe forts could have a selection of megaprojects (as dorfs are known for), one of which being a magma pump stack. This is all overly hopeful of course, but maybe some fortifications carved in the side of a mountain from which marksdwarves take up their posts, or cavern moss statue gardens could add some character.

Forest Retreats: Flammable. But seriously, I'd like to see trees (once we're getting multi-tile trees) grow specifically to accommodate the elves. Massive trees, all tangled together with one large one in the center, with camps and the like underneath them to make sure there's room for homes without having the place too terribly overgrown. Maybe shops could be on the ground level too to make things easier for the player.

Caves: I do agree that they need to be expanded and made more notable when inhabited by intelligent creatures.

Of course all of the sites of intelligent creatures should have a building with some tables, chairs, and booze stockpiles. Sure we're not getting the inn update soon, but a dwarven site isn't a dwarven site without a room with booze and a place to drink it.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 03:34:59 pm »

As you were so kind to ask, i'd like to see goblinite that's possible to collect where it's made and bring back to the fort.  8)
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:24:32 pm »

Caves: Animal people camps could have varying degrees of complexity. You could have primitive frog folk welding stone-age tools or Lovecraftian serpent folk who live in giant ziggurates dedicated to demons and and use steel like its going out of style.

Dark Fortresses: I want a actual fortress. Goblins, say what you will, live a long time and are more productive then elves. I would enjoy seeing something like a (Twisted?) dwarf fort, with training grounds with corpses, chained beasts, perhapes even with a Demon in a throne room for you to slay. Perhapes, much like how night creatures gather crap around themselves, we could have Dwarven Baby Roasts in a designated dining room area and such. Exploring one of these could be realy fun if its a goblin civ with all the goblins dead, so you have a giant raider culture eating babies and crap. Heck, one could stumble apon a day-care of sorts filled with kidnapped children who are hostile neverless.

A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:38:53 pm »

Dark Fortresses: I want a actual fortress. Goblins, say what you will, live a long time and are more productive then elves. I would enjoy seeing something like a (Twisted?) dwarf fort, with training grounds with corpses, chained beasts, perhapes even with a Demon in a throne room for you to slay. Perhapes, much like how night creatures gather crap around themselves, we could have Dwarven Baby Roasts in a designated dining room area and such. Exploring one of these could be realy fun if its a goblin civ with all the goblins dead, so you have a giant raider culture eating babies and crap. Heck, one could stumble apon a day-care of sorts filled with kidnapped children who are hostile neverless.
Twisted dwarf fort? what the hell? All forts are twisted! The point is taken, however. There are excellent points. I especially want to deal with goblin childcare. We could trade childcare tips!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:46 pm »

I want to see a troll being sheared. I imagine that it takes a full squad of 20 gobos to work.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:43:05 pm »

Dark Fortress: I'd like multiple towers sprouting up as the Fortress grows, with above ground bridges connecting the individual towers together, and underground tunnels doing the same. Different floors for different industries, with the top floors as forges with smoke billowing out the tops. Troll shearing, of course, as well as many training levels and kidnapped children being trained for future generations. Towers and the bridges connecting them would of course have windows that archers can shoot from.

Mountain Hall:Twisted labrynths with rooms jutting from the sides, as well as up and down ramps for rooms to branch off from all angles, like the roots of a tree. Dead-end passages would be pretty Dorfy, but rather annoying in practice. I'd like above ground Archer towers and a grand entrance multiple z-levels high.

Forest Retreat:Pretty much what everyone else has said.

Cave:Actual structured rooms and basic pathways, make it look less cluttered and more organized, basically.

City:I'd like to see various groups sneak into abandoned houses, such as bandits as kobolds, maybe vampires and werebeasts so they don't all form a dozen lairs around each town.

Shrine:A large alter, hanging bodies from trees, impaled corpses on spears, just a truly horrific scene that would make even a goblin barber shudder.

Other:Although inns and taverns aren't being put in, I'd like to see some on well traveled roads, particually those that take more than a full day from one town to another, so you don't have to sleep in the wilderness and get attacked by bogeymen.

I'd also really agree that walls should be implimented, and things like bridges should be expanded on, I want to see tollbooths, or trolls living under them.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:58:47 pm »

Short-term, I'd like to see a blending of sites where appropriate. Goblins getting curbstomped by dwarves would probably try to adopt their ways and build underground bases, or at least extensive basements. A human town with lots of elves would gave large groves. Stuff like that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:06:33 pm »

Dark Fortresses: I want to be able to enter a Dark Fortress and see what the Goblin Industry has to bear - Huge Furnaces and Rows upon Rows have Metalsmith Shops, plenty of Clothiers, Weavers, and Leatherworking Shops, whatever the Goblins Cultivate/Fish/Hunt, and enough Mason's Shop to leave a Dwarf in Awe. I want to see horrid living conditions on par with the Humans (which btw should be improved sometime in the near future) and giant displays of military hardware, steeds, siege weaponry, and troops. I want to see the 'Dark Fortress' of War, Agony, Pain, and Impending DOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooommmmmmmm.........

Mountain Halls: Could care less but it should probably be 3-10 levels deep, consisting of an appropriate assortment of Dwarven Industry, Improved Living Standards of the Races, Grand Halls for Dining & Leisure, and ample Dwarven !FUN! Additionally it might have it's own interior catacombs, mines areas, and prisons.

Both Dark Fortresses and Mountain Halls would also have their underground tunnels or cavern entrances as well if appropriate to the size of the population or site, and the proximity to other nearby sites that dig below into the ground.

Forest Retreats: I could really care less but if someone gives me some Elves spawning in an area, I'm good.

Caves: The Caves need to be actual caves, and potentially they need to incorporate a bit more of a homely design. Kobolds might have central gathering halls, some primitive industry, primitive traps and defenses, some sort of primitive vault, and appropriately dedicated training areas to hone what few practices they employ (Sword, Spear, Bow, Ambusher, Knife User, etc).

Camps: I don't mind having some of the current campfire camps being left over for a few lowly bandits, so while the new ones I think are nice, some not-so-challenging ones should be left around too.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:44:36 pm »

Nothing in particular, I trust Toady to come up with good stuff on his own.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 06:00:26 am »

Tootbot has the right idea... and an amusing name. :P

We'd really have to know what Toady's plans are to make liable suggestions on the sites, since he's already started work on them. When he goes to rework a feature it always comes back better, so I have faith.
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 07:27:36 am »

If these were serious suggestions we'd be putting them in a thread for that. Right now we're just sharing some thoughts with each other. Funny enough there seems to be the most variation on what people would like to see for Mountain Halls, though we all agree we want cavern access and a neat entrance.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 08:35:46 am »

Working gladiatorial coliseums/arenas.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 05:15:06 pm »

For goblins, sure. Maybe humans, but not elves or kobolds and probably not dwarves. That's my interpretation of the ethics.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »

I would like it if their was a designated safe zone that civilians would fall back to. For example, Humans would flee to their fortress when attacked, Goblins might go to the throne room, Dwarves would run behind traps. I have no idea what kobolds and elves would do.
I would also like this implemented in fort mode, with the player being capable of designating hidey-holes which you could order the civilians into in case of FUN.
Pages: [1] 2