Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim  (Read 39482 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2013, 12:03:16 pm »

Uhhh... Guys... Quick question- If I find a Treeguard, and lead it far away from my base, will it still chase me even if I'm like a mile away?

It might, but you can set it on fire (well just set a forest on fire and run it through) and run till it drops.
OK. You just saved my life sir.
Mind, it might take a while. Be sure to pack torches for running through the night. Though the flaming treeguard should provide decent light as well.

Edit: Actually, the wiki doesn't say whether it actually catches fire properly when it's awake. You might want to pacify it by planting pinecones in its vicinity.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:07:46 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »

You can also kite the Treeguard pretty easily. Just go in, swing at it two times, back off, go back in after it swipes, etc. It has a long wind up on its attack. It's definitely one of the easier monsters to kite, though it packs a wallop if it hits.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:56:46 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2013, 02:38:44 pm »

i own this and like it. I saw a thread on steam that said there will not be any more free content added. All new content will require additional payment and that the game is effectively done. Is this true?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2013, 04:30:37 pm »

i own this and like it. I saw a thread on steam that said there will not be any more free content added. All new content will require additional payment and that the game is effectively done. Is this true?

As far as I know this is is the case. The last update was their last planned free update and any further content will be in DLC format.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2013, 05:13:56 pm »

Well, they do have a ton of features already.  Nothing to cry over.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2013, 06:45:43 pm »

I guess there are always people who prefer the vanilla experience, but isn't the modding scene pretty open? What sort of paid-for DLC could be offered that could compete with mods?

Although, I guess not every moddable game has strong, dedicated communities like Minecraft or Civ4, which put out lots of strong content for free.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2013, 06:59:25 pm »

Yeah, I raged against it for 15 minutes before I just installed chrome and bought it anyway. The thing is, I raged at the idea of installing Steam, then Origin, then.........

At the end of the day, I can either stand firm with my convictions or I can play the latest games. (shrug)
Yeah I also refuse to install Steam / Origin / etc. Especially Origin and their ilk which just feel like wannabe Steams trying to get in on that sweet sweet marketplace-control action. And I don't play consoles or mobiles, partly because of region locking (which I've never had a problem with but which is absurd) and exclusive releases (I'm not gonna buy a console just to play a game, it should be released on all da consoles).

Then again I don't play new games. I play games from like 3+ years ago. It means I only upgrade my hardware when it dies, my new hardware is always inexpensive, and the software is inexpensive, fully patched, has available mods and expansions, and there are well-developed reviews online so I can avoid the stinkers and only buy the gems. You generally see games re-released without DRM after some time as well.

So despite being a customer I'm not really the big guys' target audience.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:53 pm »

Finally got this. I was going to play X-Com EU but it turns out I dont have the minimum specs. ;-(

Great game. Two proper sessions so far, and I made it to day 23 in the second one, right on the cusp of winter. Bad base placement got me there. I think I will crack it to long term survival next round.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:03 pm »

Arise thread.  A DLC for don't starve was released on steam early access yesterday, called the reign of giants.  What do you guys think? From a video I watched they have added some interesting new game mechanics.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2014, 01:05:28 pm »

Summer is now a pain in the arse because you need to keep cool. I feel it adds a layer of unnecessary tedium to the game. I don't mind having one month (winter) where you are restricted by the weather, but having two whole seasons is a bit much. It's been a week or two since I tried it though, they may have balanced it some more since I last played (the early access has been out for a while).

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2014, 12:45:29 am »

Been having a lot of fun with Don't Starve over the past few weeks. I got it rather early in the development cycle but found it rather hard to really get engaged in (mainly due to the lack of content). I still think the base game really only excels up to surviving the first winter since after that you'll likely have enough renewable resource farms and everything feels like a boring micromanagement routine instead of survival.
I found the caves/ruins a bit lackluster since they seem to focus way too much on combat (which nobody can claim is particularly great), it might've been more interesting if you get trapped in the caves for around a month or so reinforcing that survival aspect.

Been finding the Reign of Giants a mixed bag. My first game (as Wilson) started in Autumn and I found it to be a bit dull, more or less a regular start. Got to the start of winter and decided to end that playthrough since there wasn't any decent spots to build a base. Autumn is definitely the easymode season for now.

My second playthrough (as Willow) started in Spring which turned out to be surprisingly brutal. I noticed a lot of people complaining about wetness before I bought the DLC but I found it was rather easy to minimise with both a straw hat and parasol. Like a lot of players I tend to focus on getting a honey farm up and going as quick as possible in the first season. What I didn't know is that bees will always be aggressive in spring and seem to chase you a fair distance and not return to their hives (basically nullifying honey production).
I also built my farm next to my main base forgetting that bees can fly over anything lower than max tier walls. An endless near-constant stream of angry bees followed which while not particularly deadly was still very annoying.
Finally the thing that almost ended that playthrough was the frog rains. While frog rains can be pretty deadly in adventure mode they take on a different meaning in sandbox spring. A week or so into the game (about halfway through my honey farm) a frog rain started at dusk and kept going for three whole days. I'm not sure if it was a bug or developer oversight but the amount of frogs raining down was almost comical. Trying to deal with the frogs alone was hard enough but mixing in both night, wetness and freezing was insane. Had to try and kite the frogs far enough to build a fire and then hold them off long enough to warm up and continue running. Wetness will also make your weapons slip out of your hands while fighting.
Finally the rain stopped and by kiting the frogs to a fairly large pig village I was able to beat them back. I now have endless meat and frog legs drying in racks but it was still extremely close especially since I didn't find any touchstones.

Summer is likely going to start soon and I think I have enough ice mined up. I'm terrified of spontaneous combustion so I think I might just set up a secondary base faraway, I believe that should "unload" my base so it doesn't burn up. Probably move into the desert and survive off ice and jerky for summer. Spend all the time mining and collecting tumbleweeds so I can hopefully spearhead into the higher tier stuff without having to venture in the mines too much. I do want to set up a rabbit/spider farm for meat and silk though.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2014, 01:52:29 am »

Really liking the new DLC: it is practically a stand alone for experienced players. Starting in the fall is much like Don't Starve, starting in the spring is challenging as hell. Lot's of little things are changed: rabbit holes are invisible, rain makes you drop stuff. New things are neat: desert biomes are wonderful (herbs of delicious lightning goats, cacti, free items in tumbleweeds) and terrifying because hounds inhabit them.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2014, 09:12:03 pm »

Dun dun dunnn. I have momentous news, don't starve is getting multiplayer! Here is the info on it.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35989-don%E2%80%99t-starve-together-multiplayer-officially-coming-summer-2014/

Basic info: it will have at least up to 4 players minimally,  it will be called don't starve together, it will be free to everyone who owns a copy of don't starve, the price of don't starve will increase in release of together to $19.99, and it will not affect single player gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:37:47 pm by choppy »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2014, 09:37:13 pm »

My latest game started me out in a strip of forest between two swamps. I was almost certain that I was doomed.

Surprisingly, this has been one of my best runs ever. The largest stroke of luck was the walking stick that spawned near a skeleton. That gave me enough speed to outrun most enemies I ran into. I'm currently at the end of winter right now, but am having a huge problem. I'm on a swamp peninsula and the only entry onto land is a giant clump of hound mounds. I don't see any way of getting around that.

Spoiler: As for survival (click to show/hide)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2014, 03:21:00 am »

I spent a couple of dozen hours playing with RoG, and on the whole I think it's really nice. Summer was less of a hassle than I anticipated, and that was before I could figure out you could put thermal stones in the fridge. It is a little too brutal for new people I guess, and a bit over powered as regards things burning down, but not bad.

My problem now with Don't Starve is that once you get to a certain level of skill "not starving" becomes kind of trivial. What with all the monster meat from hounds, or frog legs, or using giants to mash up heaps of critters, resources are kind of easier than ever to get once you learn enough to not become giant feed yourself. Then there are the catcoons hunting birds for your and hacking up presents. etc.

I've taken to playing winter only maps for extra challenge, but even that feels a bit to easy now to be honest. I'm on day fourty or something and its no sweat.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12