Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim  (Read 39515 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2013, 08:30:21 am »

I put it down shortly after sanity was introduced, and just started playing again yesterday.

Found out my old save was wiped and my unlocks removed; no matter. Now in day 8 (took me 7 days to find some gold), and starting to build my base. Already seen a lot of new features, like weather and new unique map features.

Is stone still a non-renewable resource?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2013, 08:39:10 am »

yes, but there is lots of it.

I've gotten to the point where I've had my fill of Don't Starve, but that was after playing about 150 ingame days total, so I feel I got my dollars worth.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2013, 01:29:19 pm »

Eh... I might put a pass on it, then.  I was looking more for Lovecraft Meets Harvest Moon than Lovecraft Meets Terraria.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2013, 02:53:15 am »

I need to remember to not light the tree monster on fire it burnt down like 5 screens of forest chasing me before it died.
My guy started going insane so I sent him off to die in glorious battle vs the spider menace.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:47:45 am by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2013, 05:41:36 pm »

I was playing this for some time now, and well.... thanks to some mods it is much more fun and less tedious in some aspects of the game.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2013, 05:43:13 pm »

I was playing this for some time now, and well.... thanks to some mods it is much more fun and less tedious in some aspects of the game.
mods like what and where? found them nvm
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:44:44 pm by Alkhemia »

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:34 pm »

Yeah well I have to say that I have become so addicted to this game that I actually starve in real life because I can't quit to even eat. Steam is telling me I have played for 60 hours. I do agree that it can be grindy at times but it is very rewarding and mods add quite a lot to the game. I have the awesome Summons mod which allows you to do all kind of shite and Rare Items mod that adds a small chance for more rare things to drop in certain situaitons. And some others like one that adds in a dawn that comes after night, before day breaks. I even edited the game files to be able to zoom far out and to zoom in to a 3rd person behind the player camera option. It would be way awesome if I could figure out how to extend the draw distance... I have also edited the Rare Items mod to nerf the percent at which things drop but that definitely adds more to the game.

Playing with world customization can be fun too. My current world has all the natural resources(twig tree rock berries etc..) on less and all the mobs on more with a long summer and a long winter, each season lasting about 50 days or so. Oh, and what really makes it fun is that I doubled the timescale so that the entire day night cycle is twice as long.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »

Yeah I made a world with all the mobs on lots was just battle everything was killing everything else did find a lot of meat though.
I mostly play as Wendy the ghost is pretty useful especially with the dawn mod.   

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2013, 09:20:42 pm »

Haha, yeah the 'lots' option is just absurd but I find if you set them to 'more' it's pretty cool. There are still a lot of fights and it's easy to live off meat but it's not complete anarchy and if you lower all the other resources it kind of balances out. I guess most of the updates are going to be for high level gameplay which is cool. I think the next one is going to add caves to explore :o

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:30 pm »

Oh nice
I've only made it to about day 11 do to setting everything on fire one way or another.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2013, 05:40:56 pm »

Survived for 7 days, broke the first rule of the game.

edit: Lasted 9 days, had low health and didn't catch the bomerang I threw.
At least I unlocked a new character.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:58:12 pm by Ultimuh »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2013, 03:43:13 am »

Almost made it through winter; died on day 33 to a pack of hounds. Winters are brutal. Crops and such stop growing, and that which still grows does so at a greatly reduced rate. You can't go too far from a fire or you freeze, unless you have heat stones, which keep you going for about half a day. Nights are longer, days are shorter, you don't regain sanity passively during the day, flowers don't seem to regrow (or are at a very reduced rate). All in all, when you aren't nearly starving, you will be going insane. It's great.

This go round, I will be more prepared. I've got a great spot in which I'm building my encampment. I'm putting in a bunch of berry bushes, saplings, and grasses nearby, as well as a grove of trees around it for wood. If all else fails, there's a bunch of rabbit holes nearby too.

So yeah, I think you kinda can play it like harvest moon, or like terraria. It seems to be mostly down to your play style & planning. As soon as the tools to relocate the resources and such to your camp open up, you can pretty much make that your home.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2013, 04:58:17 am »

So I was playing this and having quite a bit of fun. Managed to get to day 28 on my first character. I wasn't aware that there was a winter season and all the berry bushes that I relied so heavily on for jam died off. I think next time around I think I'll just make a couple ice spears and try to survive off rabbits and birds through the winter.

I think the main problem I have with Don't Starve at the moment is the sudden jump between the Alchemy Machine and the Shadow Manipulator. It's fairly hard to know where to get the dark/magical ingredients for a new player compared to the previous tiers. 

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2013, 02:42:07 pm »

Woo just survived my first winter, and it was with a character that was supposed to die :p Basically I was close to unlocking a new character so I figured I'd start a quick game with the strongman, live for a few nights and see what the new character was. Instead I got ridiculously lucky and managed to find a humongous forest with a ridiculously large pig village, containing the pig king. I just set up shop there and it's working out great. Basically unlimited fertilizer, a huge forest partly burnt down for charcoal and closeby I have several ponds and some beefalo. Winter was harsh but by planning my excursions carefully I managed to pull through. The pigs have been amazing at keeping me alive as well. Treeant, no problem, kite it to the pigs. Hounds, no problem, kite em to the pigs. A huge amount of spiders, no problem, kite em to the pigs :p

Spoiler: About the Pig King (click to show/hide)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »

So, who else has finished the Adventure mode?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12