Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim  (Read 39511 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 07:09:37 am »

It's available on Steam, but still in beta.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 07:16:20 am »

Just to check if i buy off the website i will still get a steam key right ?

never mind found it says you get it on steam too.

I really hate buying stuff off steam. Its always more expensive for brits, the game is $12 im very very sure that does not work out to £12
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:57:06 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 01:37:33 pm »

trying beta on chrome, game is just black screen :/

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »

What exactly do you do on this game?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 02:23:42 pm »

What exactly do you do on this game?

It's one of the games in the new and developing "Minecraft Clone" genre (a term I use for a lack of any other at the moment, like how FPS used to be "Doom Clone"). Best I can come up with is "Crafting and Survival Sandbox"? But CSS makes me think "Cascading Style Sheet"...then again FPS makes me thing Frames-Per-Second so they can have more than one meaning...either way, better name than "MOBA". Multiplayer Online Battle Arena? Seriously?

Basically a game where the goal is to survive to build things to help you survive or just look awesome so you can build more things.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »

Survival games existed long before minecraft, they just were not as well known, I dislike it when every survival game is categorised  as a "minecraft clone" that is not a genre. Fuck minecraft, minecraft is a sandbox not survival in my opinion :P

It's a Survival horror - you must survive where the world is trying to kill you and find out what the fuck is going on
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:29:54 pm by ScriptWolf »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »

If it has grass, zombies, or spiders it is a minecraft clone. Oh, and dragons. Did I miss anything? Does that cover every game ever?

Don't Starve is what it says on the tin, plus you have to install an internet browser. It's probably closer to Robinson's Requiem and such than anything else.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:00:10 pm by BigD145 »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »

You don't have to install a Internet browser now, it's out on steam. otherwise I would not have bought it I can not abide chrome

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 03:13:50 pm »

Doom wasn't the first FPS, but it popularised the genre. Minecraft wasn't the first "Build, Craft and Survive Sandbox", but it similarly popularised the genre. Heck, Dota wasn't the first MOBA but again: Popularised the genre. And DOTA clone is a still used as valid term for MOBAs at the moment.

Clone doesn't mean bad.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »

Looking at these graphics makes me dizzy, too surreal.
I guess I'll give the demo a try.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:07 am »

Bought this on a whim and it's pretty fun so far.  Attacking anything that can fight back has lead to death so far, but I did slaughter a hiding turkey I found.  Currently trying not to starve while gathering things to throw into my Science Machine to make Science.

Protip: light is super mega important.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 11:28:29 am »

Can't really find any decent feedback on this game to determine if it's worth buying in it's current state. All the reviews have either been of the alpha or have been rather vague. From what I have seen from the alpha reviews it seems like it's fairly promising albeit a bit lacking compared to some of the other titles in the (rapidly expanding) genre. I am liking the whole light mechanics though.

So on a scale of one to ten, where two is the highest and seven is the lowest, how good is the current game?  ;D

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 11:48:49 am »

So on a scale of one to ten, where two is the highest and seven is the lowest, how good is the current game?  ;D
I give it three pickles dill style, and I've only played the demo briefly!
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 11:55:41 am »

Can't really find any decent feedback on this game to determine if it's worth buying in it's current state. All the reviews have either been of the alpha or have been rather vague. From what I have seen from the alpha reviews it seems like it's fairly promising albeit a bit lacking compared to some of the other titles in the (rapidly expanding) genre. I am liking the whole light mechanics though.

Probably somewhere between potato and opera, but I'll admit that these things are quite subjective :P

I'm enjoying it.  There are things to collect, things to hunt, things to run away from very very fast, things that are pigmen (always a plus in any game), things to build, things to reseach, things to farm, things that eat the things you farm, things that grow on your chin, things to mine, things that stop you dying for a little bit longer.  All these things seem to be in working order and balancing your focus between them can be a delicate task.  It's also a bit beautiful.  Basically, this thing is a pretty damn good thing (and that's coming from someone who isn't generally a fan of these sorts of things).  Needs weather though.

Note: The game is still in alpha, although I'm yet to encounter any bugs or obviously broken features.  I also have the impression that I've barely scratched the surface :)

E: Actually, I have a spare key for this.  Who wants it?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:58:35 am by lordcooper »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »

well...i do find it interesting the research you do carries over in between each game, so once you say unlock being able to make a beehive then you dont have to worry about taking forever to get the research to get it again...anyways, so far no real zombies but probably the scariest thing is sometimes when you go to chop down a tree it comes to life and will chase you around nearly forever....oh also the ent will take half your health in a single hit. the buffalo are generaly peaceful...untill you attack one of them then ALL of them will start to charge you. oh, also there is the grue in the game, if you ever stay in pitch black conditions for more then 10 seconds or so, your charecter says "what was that?!" then dies. overall my opinion is the screenshots dont do the game justice since it can invoke horror quite often for those that dont plan their moves out carefully...although most deaths is either from an enemy(attacking a bee hive or spider nest without being prepared for it) or by not having the materials to build a torch or fire at night.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12