Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water Wheel Arrays  (Read 2079 times)

dominusnovus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Wheel Arrays
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:18:38 am »

Anyone else like building massive arrays of water wheels?  Producing huge amounts of power?  I just built an array in my last fortress that gave me 7500 on its first level (minus the loss to the axels and gear assemblies).  I just love watching those wheels turn.

Can't wait for there to be more to do with them.

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Wheel Arrays
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:46:34 am »

And i thought 2000 to power my magma pump was a lot. What do you do with that much power?

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:09:29 am »

Out of the ones I've seen, this one is my favourite.

I haven't tried it out yet, but I will next time I embark on Aquifer territory.
No signature

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:17:02 am »

I've got two thousand power being out put that I used to drain a hole in a river to build a tower.

It's awesome, though it seems that river tiles produce water.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:39:36 am »

I've got two thousand power being out put that I used to drain a hole in a river to build a tower.

It's awesome, though it seems that river tiles produce water.

Rivers only produce water on the edge of the map.  Otherwise you'd never be able to redirect them in fun dwarfy ways.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:36:04 pm »

I don't know, pumped it out and dried it with DF hack, then came back a couple minutes later to find that it was filling with water again. Only 1/7 and 2/7 in spots, but water. Didn't stop until I managed to pump in some magma to make it obsidian.

dominusnovus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:42:00 pm »

And i thought 2000 to power my magma pump was a lot. What do you do with that much power?

At the moment, watch the wheels go round and round.  I've just got an unhealthy obsession with waterwheels (in real life, too).  Its kinda my thing.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 07:00:32 am »

At the moment, watch the wheels go round and round.  I've just got an unhealthy obsession with waterwheels (in real life, too).  Its kinda my thing.

This may interest you then

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 08:08:39 am »

I don't know, pumped it out and dried it with DF hack, then came back a couple minutes later to find that it was filling with water again. Only 1/7 and 2/7 in spots, but water. Didn't stop until I managed to pump in some magma to make it obsidian.
I'm guessing it was raining.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:29:43 am »

Nope, no rain whatsoever.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:56:03 am »

Most designs I've seen have the water wheels aligned so that the water flows along the long axis.

But the only requirement is that you have flowing water under it.  You can also treat them like turbines.

Gear attached to axle attached to water wheels spanning a channel of flowing water.
Code: [Select]
##############
    wwwwww~~~~
G---WWWWWW~~~~
    wwwwww~~~~

##############
Expansion is pretty easy - just slap more wheels on the end.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:40:54 am »

Most designs I've seen have the water wheels aligned so that the water flows along the long axis.

But the only requirement is that you have flowing water under it.  You can also treat them like turbines.

Gear attached to axle attached to water wheels spanning a channel of flowing water.
Code: [Select]
##############
    wwwwww~~~~
G---WWWWWW~~~~
    wwwwww~~~~

##############
Expansion is pretty easy - just slap more wheels on the end.

That's actually the more common design, Fnear

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 08:44:48 am »

Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 11:00:15 am »

Try building a flow reactor.

All you need is a water source and the edge of the map. You can generate unlimited power without the use of any pumps at all.

Somewhere underground, dig out a two level tall tunnel. I prefer to make it 3-4 tiles wide, so it will fit 3-4 water wheels side by side. Then on the upper level have a small walkway around the lower level. So in this example, the water channel would be 4 tiles across, and the upper level would be 6 tiles across.

Dig this out all the way to the edge of the map. At the very edge of the map, carve fortifications. Then construct floodgates before the fortifications and link the floodgates to a lever.

On the other end of the channel, add water. Continue adding water until it flows off the edge of the map. The water will turn into flowing water.

Close the floodgates.

Continue adding water until its all 7/7. The water will remain flowing so long as it doesn't dry up.

Construct gears and waterwheels and axles above your now artificially constructed and flowing yet also static underground river. Infinite power. No pumps requires, no FPS loss.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 11:29:49 am »

Here's a good water wheel array design to work from: The Over-Under Water Reactor
Pages: [1] 2