Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Simplest Military?  (Read 5065 times)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simplest Military?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

Legendary in what though?

I see what you are saying--some of them might only be Legendary in their weapon skill, and unschooled in some of the finer points of combat. But hopefully you chose only your best immigrant soldiers, so many of them start off Adequate or Competent in the core curriculum.

Also don't forget that under my administration we have a small army of Legendary Marksdwarf hunters, herbalists, fisherdwarfs, etc. constantly scouring the countryside with crossbows and warbeasts. They will defeat small ambushes outright.and soften up tougher foes until help arrives. Once they are well-trained as hunters you can retire them to military service, leading marksdwarf squads at the gate-towers.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 07:33:10 pm »

I personally never buy armor that I could make myself, but that's just me. I always embark with a weapon and armorsmith, often the same dwarf. Then I just have him make everything, an initial 10 set of iron armor pieces to help equip our military initially, then train the crap out of him on cheap copper bucklers XD Once he's legendary I go for making steel stuff. Same for the weaponsmith, though I have him train off of bolts as they're useful and sell really well.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 08:03:03 pm »

I see what you are saying--some of them might only be Legendary in their weapon skill, and unschooled in some of the finer points of combat. But hopefully you chose only your best immigrant soldiers, so many of them start off Adequate or Competent in the core curriculum.
That does depend on the history though. Sometimes you don't get many dwarves with soldier skills.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 08:48:45 pm »

I've never had any legendary weapon skills through barracks in 1-2 years. (or at all) From what I can tell, the fastest way is through normal combat. I have a shooting gallery for when I trap things, to raise Archery.  I've read about danger rooms for increasing melee skills but I haven't built one yet. Is that the best way for that? 

Also I've gotten migrations full of military dwarves before. The last time I had 120+ dwarves in my third year I had six squads of active military. This one is much less and I'd rather not just draft dudes. So I'm relying almost solely on a well designed defensive terrain.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 03:00:08 am »

Danger rooms are really easy. Just build a 1x4 room filled with spike traps full of training spears. Link them up to a nearby lever and set it on repeat. Your dwarves will hit legendary in several military skills within a season or two. It's so effective that most people consider it an exploit.

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 03:49:04 am »

Quick Question, how do I imprison or murder a dwarf? I got one that is in a strange mood and I want to imprison him until he gets better and if he doesn't then I want him to be... Taken Care of... Quickly and Quietly... Any Help Is Appreciated :P
Jumping into a waterfall to get water is Spectacular.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:31 am »

Well, he won't "get better", unless he accomplishes his particular mood's aims.

Assuming, then, that you're treating him as a lost cause, wall him in?

If he's at a workshop (because you have a workshop of whatever type he would use, and you're only giving up because you don't apparently have silk thread or whatever component he's currently got at the front of his queue for lusting after), then you'll lose that for the duration of his eventual decline, plus any materials that you haven't moved out of it.

If he's not even at a workshop (and you know you're not going to be building one, even to attract him to) then unless you're making a particularly claustrophobic fort, at whatever point he's currently moping around in, you should be able to set him up with a little 'cell', around which everyone diverts without a second thought.  Or build that workshop, off to one side, and let him occupy that and then lock the door/build the wall behind him.

Then just be prepared to get the burial rites sorted when he dies, I suppose.  And if you want it to be a bit quicker and immediate, make one of the walls a fortification, ready for a Friendly Neighbourhood Marksdwarf to fire through...  (Hmm, assuming that a mood-lost dwarf isn't loyalty-spiral fodder... Ok, maybe not, until you know how it'll go.)  Or set it up the imprisonment point so that you can dump a liquid (your choice which) down upon him, in a safe and (afterwards, equally safe) drainable/evaporatable way.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41:40 am »

Or just leave the dwarf sealed forever in the workshop. Why not?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:09 am »

I've never had any legendary weapon skills through barracks in 1-2 years. (or at all)

Put your 2 best immigrant soliders in a squad of 2, training non-stop, with the correct weapons. They will hit Legendary very quickly, no danger room necessary. This is very well-documented on these forums and the wiki; how-to's abound. :)

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 11:24:28 am »

Another way you can train a militia is by embarking with a dwarf that has 5 points in teacher and rest of points into a weapon skill. This is more efficient when you have ten dwarves training nonstop. I use this method when I want to get my dwarves to a competent level in a weapon.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 11:39:48 am »

Idea: armor now prevents bad thoughts from no/worn/tattered/rotten clothing, and doesn't wear out ever (unless put in a refuse stockpile). You can reduce your clothing industry, and probably delay FPS death, by drafting all dwarves into squads with uniform made of leather and bone armor parts, set to replace clothing, worn off-duty. You'll only have to make clothing for your miners, hunters, woodcutters and children.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 11:44:00 am »

I demand naked childrens!  They are so hairy you won't nuthin' anyhow
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 11:46:56 am »

You'll get naked tantruming then insane children in short order, either plunging your fortress into a fatal tantrum spiral by dieing in droves, or hardening all useful adults.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 12:01:27 pm »

You'll get naked tantruming then insane children in short order, either plunging your fortress into a fatal tantrum spiral by dieing in droves, or hardening all useful adults.

Fun fact, dieing means to cease existing. What if you looked at your fort, to find all those "useless" children... Gone?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 01:40:35 pm »

??? I thought if clothing wore off once, and is not replaced, all is copescetic unless it gets replaced?  Aside from the initial bitching, of course.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4