Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancy? Endless wave of undead bones x-x  (Read 1275 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Necromancy? Endless wave of undead bones x-x
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:43:12 am »

I think these goblin ambushers brought a necromancer with them because I just got a giant incursion of skeletons and crap. My military literally slug its way through our refuse piles XD they must have like 100 kills on them.

EDIT: I think my fort is fucked guys. They just keep reviving. I have no idea what the hell is resurrecting them.

EDIT2: Ah well, !!FUN!! was had.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:21:29 am by sadron »

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy? Endless wave of undead bones x-x
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:50:34 am »

Maybe at some point Toady can implement the destruction of body parts if they're raised up and broken down enough. Or just a random chance that they get destroyed any time they're 'killed' again, so that the items don't have to track any additional info such as how many times they've been raised. Or perhaps they can simply become ineligible for necromancy after a few times.

Though it might be fine if there was just more of a delay between raisings, so that you have a chance of dumping them down a pit or something.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:53:44 am by Stromko »

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:27:05 am »

I'm just wondering who or what was resurrecting them.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:34:00 am »

A necromancer snuck onto your map and was resurrecting people where you couldn't see him.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:12 am »

Yeah. Even with all of our dwarves on the surface running everywhere. I'm not good enough at fortress defense design and stuff to have salvaged that T_T

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:05 pm »

Maybe at some point Toady can implement the destruction of body parts if they're raised up and broken down enough. Or just a random chance that they get destroyed any time they're 'killed' again, so that the items don't have to track any additional info such as how many times they've been raised. Or perhaps they can simply become ineligible for necromancy after a few times.

This is an excellent idea. Maybe it could work in a way similar to how slash attacks can sever parts. Any kind of attack against a body part has a chance of simply pulverising that part, and the chance would be much higher for smaller parts. Hammers and other blunt weapons should be the best at this, while spears and whips should be the worst. It could have the same effect as severing a part, but instead of simply cutting it off the part would be removed from the game and replaced by a load of blood splatter. The big difference would be that you could pulverise a part even if it wasn't connected to anything else. This would mean that if you walked into a room full of undead hands, you could reasonably smash them all into a bloody paste with a hammer rather than just being endlessly swarmed by them.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:00:04 pm »

My one and only Necro visit the guy showed up with some friends, my military destroyed them, he ran off the map before they could be rezzed.

I got off lucky or unlucky, depending on your point of view.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:43:40 pm »

Urist McHammerdwarf strikes the Animated Water Buffalo Bone Powder.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:50:38 pm »

Oh dude, I was getting assaulted by finger bones, heads, things that have no actual way of propelling themselves. It was ridiculous.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »

Necromancers are also ambushers. They can sneak around while hidden and cause all kinds of mayhem.

Necromancers are not trap avoid, however. Clever use of cage traps can shut down roving necromancers, unless the cage traps get clogged up with shambling corpses.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:47:54 pm »

It's planned for future versions to have the option to "pulverize" parts so they are unable to be revived, Toady has referred to it several times, though I don't believe that it will be coming in the next version.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.