Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My vampire mayor.  (Read 1792 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
My vampire mayor.
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:57:43 pm »

So in this one fortress I have upon seeing him in the migration I designated him a far away room and put a bed inside. As soon as he went inside for recreation or whatever it is dwarves do in their rooms, I locked the door and kept it tightly closed. When it came time for us to elect a mayor, I don't know how, but he got elected. Despite being in contact with no one in the fortress for, by now, years. He has no mandates, and is not up in arms about his quarters despite not meeting the needs. He's currently happy with his fine bed and fine locked door :P

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: My vampire mayor.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:59 am »

So in this one fortress I have upon seeing him in the migration I designated him a far away room and put a bed inside. As soon as he went inside for recreation or whatever it is dwarves do in their rooms, I locked the door and kept it tightly closed. When it came time for us to elect a mayor, I don't know how, but he got elected. Despite being in contact with no one in the fortress for, by now, years. He has no mandates, and is not up in arms about his quarters despite not meeting the needs. He's currently happy with his fine bed and fine locked door :P
As far as I can tell, that is definitely a win-win situation.

Elven trader: "May we see your leader about the amount of trees you have been cutting down?"

Urist McKeeper: "Yes, yes you may. Right this way..."
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:11:33 am »

You won't have any issues until someone gets upset and you need them to talk with the mayor, or you want him to meet with a liaison. For the former there's not much you can do without breaking quarantine, while for the latter it's possible to give the vampire a direct route to the surface (separate from the main entrance) to let liaisons in.

Unfortunately, vampires won't feed on anything that isn't sleeping, so unless you make a sleep inducing syndrome and infect the elf, the vampire won't eat them.

Edit: Oh, eventually he'll probably make a demand, but I *think* you could give him any room in the fort, even if the vampire can't reach it, and there won't be any consequences. He'll also need clothes at some point, as they'll rot off and drive him insane.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:14:32 am by UrbanGiraffe »

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:09 am »

You won't have any issues until someone gets upset and you need them to talk with the mayor, or you want him to meet with a liaison. For the former there's not much you can do without breaking quarantine, while for the former it's possible to give the vampire a direct route to the surface (separate from the main entrance) to let liaisons in.

Unfortunately, vampires won't feed on anything that isn't sleeping, so unless you make a sleep inducing syndrome and infect the elf, the vampire won't eat them.

Edit: Oh, eventually he'll probably make a demand, but I *think* you could give him any room in the fort, even if the vampire can't reach it, and there won't be any consequences. He'll also need clothes at some point, as they'll rot off and drive him insane.
Ah no, I want him to get mad, so I can have my military kill him.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:23:42 am »

He'll also need clothes at some point, as they'll rot off and drive him insane.
He's not performing any real task, though, so he doesn't need clothes to function.
Then you could just have your own special crazed midget version of the "Emperor's 'New' Clothes."

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:26:25 am »

I just realized that I can just (r)eplace him.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 04:50:21 am »

You can, but most probably he will just be elected again. Happened to me few times.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:49:35 am »

I had this exact same thing occur, except I trapped mine in the hospital by accusing him of killing the dwarf he did, and making my sheriff punch him in the face.  I'm now about to dig a tunnel from the hospital room he's been locked in for over a year, to the noble room I made for him.  I guess I could make a hole up above to drop some items in if I have to (like clothes).

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 12:59:18 pm »

I guess I could make a hole up above to drop some items in if I have to (like clothesmigrants).

FTFY

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »

You won't have any issues until someone gets upset and you need them to talk with the mayor, or you want him to meet with a liaison. For the former there's not much you can do without breaking quarantine, while for the former it's possible to give the vampire a direct route to the surface (separate from the main entrance) to let liaisons in.

Ah no, I want him to get mad, so I can have my military kill him.
Keep in mind, if he goes melancholy or stark raving mad instead of berzerk, he won't ever die due to not needing food and water. Best yet, if he goes berzerk, gets killed, goes ghost and can't be slabbed, you'll have a immortal murderous ghost on your hands. Won't even "die" from old age as ghosts do due to vapirism.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now