Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lazy Newb pack... Whats so special about it?  (Read 3911 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Lazy Newb pack... Whats so special about it?
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:14:51 pm »

I have been playing normal df for quite some time and I hear alot about the LAzy Newb/noob (forgot which one) pack. Whats so special about it except graphics? What differences then main game?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb pack... Whats so special about it?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 07:43:20 pm »

I think it comes with some other mods all bundled together.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:11:51 pm »

It comes with a bunch of utilities that make DF easier and, unless I'm mistaken, some kind of tutorial.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »

It comes with a bunch of utilities that make DF easier and, unless I'm mistaken, some kind of tutorial.

by "easier", I think you mean "it has a bunch of extra utilities you can play around with, and if you bother to learn them, then some tasks may or may not be faster."

Some people swear by these utilities, some do not. since it's not default, I'd assume most don't. it's not a huge deal either way though.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:06 pm »

When starting DF, the first thing most players do is (understandably) derp out from seeing the graphics. From there, they can either quit and go play something else, never going on to experience the warm fuzzy sensation of exploding goblins with minecarts, or they can poke around looking for a graphics pack. It's easy to take for granted basic knowledge of a game and forum, when a new player most likely doesn't know what any of the popular graphics packs are called, where to look for them, where to dump the files, what the balls a 'raw' is, or why they should even continue bothering when they haven't experienced anything beyond world gen at this point. The lazy newb pack solves this by bundling it all easily for the player, so they don't need to spend an hour doing it themselves with no direction in an unfamiliar setting. That's the most important thing, is giving the player direction at a time when everything about DF is new and unkown.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:04:29 am »

The main point of the Lazy Newb pack is to allow people who have recently picked up the game the ability to easily add graphics to their game and gain access to a variety of useful tools (such as DF Therapist and DFHack) without needing to dig through the forum and find them, as well as allowing easy customization and changing of init options. It basically lets us as people trying to help new players be able to say "Go and get the Lazy Newb Pack and you can get access to pretty much everything you need" rather then saying:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wait! Why are you running away from this awesome game? If only you would stick with it a little longer then you might have a bunch of fun!

To put it simply, it allows for a variety of utilities and things that make learning the game faster and easier to be accessed with a single download rather then a person needing to tromp all over the forum and through their game files, potentially spending hours, to set everything up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 04:54:14 am »

Also, the Lazy N00b Pack GUI gives you a handy-dandy bunch of launch options from sound volume and DF process priority to aquifers y/n and installing graphics packs without having to poke around in the esoteric init files with notepad. And it provides direct launch links for the bunch of nifty utilities as well.
(I, personally, think managing dorf skills and professions without Dwarf Therapist is a pain in the behind.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:06:20 am »

For me, it's easier to download everything in one big package than downloading DF, Ironhand's graphics pack (which is the one I use, depends on your preference), removing aquifers manually (I'm a noob :P), downloading utilities, changing init settings, etc. So I guess I fall into the 'lazy' category.
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »

It also gives you the ability to easily switch a save from one tileset to another.  Which you can do by hand, but this makes it easier.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:00 pm »

Just out of curiosity, does this use one of those horrible graphics packs that change normal text punctuation marks into random bits of dirt and things?
Akur Akir Akam!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:33:41 pm »

Just out of curiosity, does this use one of those horrible graphics packs that change normal text punctuation marks into random bits of dirt and things?
I think ironhand fixed that after a couple updates, but if they did it and looks pretty damn good, I'm assuming Lazy noob got it figured out (I refuse to use it, although I use Dwarf Therepist already)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »

Assuming you are on windows, really the only other utility I would strongly suggest you grab is DFHack, not to cheat in your fortresses, but because it has a couple of commands that can be used to fix various bugs in the game (such as unslab-able ghosts).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 03:29:39 pm »

Assuming you are on windows, really the only other utility I would strongly suggest you grab is DFHack, not to cheat in your fortresses, but because it has a couple of commands that can be used to fix various bugs in the game (such as unslab-able ghosts).

Therapist is the only mod I use, because the built-in labor assignment can go suck a tree stump.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 06:27:46 pm »

Everyone's already given an excellent explanation and answer to your question (Thanks Guys :D)

I'm hardly offended by anyone who doesn't want to use the pack, its just an offer of convenience. There's nothing changed about the base game in the pack, btw. Just makes it easier to get started with, change settings/graphics and launch utilities with, and get the latest version of almost everything you'd want to play DF with.
But you should also look at and use the Lazy Newb Pack thread instead of creating a new one.

That being said, If you just download your favourite graphics pack and then Dwarf Therapist, are probably 80% of the way there in terms of fundamentally important additions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:31:29 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »

I think it'd be nice if it offered the default ASCII as an option instead of a graphics pack, but anyone who'd prefer the ASCII would probably be willing to go and do all the stuff in i2amroy's block paragraph of doom...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2