Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get fish underground?  (Read 976 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get fish underground?
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »

I can't seem to catch anything underground. I've had entire forts try fishing in every body of water in the caverns and nothing ever comes of it--and I can see cave fish popping up in the same tiles! And yet there is nothing to catch, apparently. Is this a bug, or is there something besides designating a fishing zone that I have to do to get fish?

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get fish underground?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »

in my last two fortresses, i did nothing but designating a fishing zone.
i always set the zone in a channel connected with a tunnel sealed off by a carved fortification.
no matter if i build a well on top, or a grate, i ended up disabling the fishing labor because the fish was stacking up around the fishing hole, and flooding my foodstockpiles.
i exclusively fished in the first cavern, but i know that it would work above ground too.
so... fishing zone + fishing enabled should do the trick, well at least for me :/
check your (o)rders, set fishing to zone only, designate zone, fishexplosion

edit: my fishing zone is also always my exclusive ((o)rdered) water access. a 2*2 zone with the access tile in it
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:14:52 pm by stool »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:44 pm »

More testing!

I tried my setup on murky pools, and got nothing. Rivers were prolific. Even with exclusive fishing on a single 2x2 area that is also water access, no body of water gives me fish unless it's outside.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:10:35 pm »

I haven't caught anything in the caverns for several versions.

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:51:35 am »

strange. i cant help you further though.. gl with all yo fish :D
 i may add, im using masterwork mod for a long time, but i didnt activate additional fish.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:14:49 pm »

For what it's worth, the issue with fish not showing up in underground sources of water despite visible fish swimming about inside (thus indicating that there is indeed fish) is a bug that has been following each version for some time.  The use of the Masterwork mod does not fix this issue, as I too make use of it and have always had this same problem of no fish finding in underground water.

If I fill up my own pool of sufficient size underground, though, and let sit for a season, I can find plenty of fish in it, though.  This may help in the original poster's circumstance.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:34:57 am »

Can you fill it with underground water?

EDIT: Tried it. Fishing doesn't even come up when zoned.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:26:54 pm by Trekkin »