Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The easiest evil embark?  (Read 3313 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
The easiest evil embark?
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:50:59 am »

I'm bored with normal embarks, kinda getting easy and I love reading about people in evil embarks. But I don't want to head off into the most dangerous place on Dwearth (dwarf earth ). So can someone give me some tips on a more entry level evil embark and maybe some general tips.

Thank ya.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The easiest evil embark?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:54:23 am »

Well, evil is random. You could get nothing worse than dark gnomes and blood rains, or you could get zombies, huskifying fog, and sleet that causes things that walk in it to bleed from every orifice, alongside ogres and swarms of beak dogs. Lock yourself inside for a season and see what pops up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:59:39 am »

Also slaughter something like a goose to see if you're in a reanimating biome.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 12:05:11 pm »

Fun Facts: Evil Biomes Are Easy.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:05:28 pm »

I'd recomend making an adventurer, fast-travalling to an evil biome that you're thinking about, and trying to live in it for a few days.
If you get mercilessly slaughtered, you might want to try a different evil biome.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 12:06:32 pm »

Damn did not knew it was random, I thought what it was called determined how evil it was, haunted vs terrifying, that sort of thing. Well I guess I'll put on my hiking shoes and beard and just jump right in.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:07:01 pm »

Well it is harder then normal, plus it is new to me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »

sinister biomes tend to be faily easy as far as what can go wrong in them. They rarely have reanimating effects and anything worse than blood rain. Haunted and terrifying are the ones that will have your dwarves screaming "THIS WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA!!!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 12:09:44 pm »

Savage evil is Fun.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »

Well, try going on a border. Then, some of your map can be used for slaughtering, tanning, etc, and as protected from evil rains (but not clouds). Or just try different evil biomes until you get an non-reanimating one.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Learner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 12:38:47 pm »

There are a few ways you can make evil biomes easier. If you ever so chose to do so, you can go to Advance World Generation, and, lower/remove certain settings, such as savagery, regional interaction types (which is believed to be what makes the dead rise), evil cloud types (if zero, can VERY easily make evil biomes safer), and evil rain types (though this one doesn't matter quite so much compared to other things).

Also, on Adventure mode, nearby civvies and towns when asked about the surroundings, will mention if certain nearby evil biomes revive the dead, or what enemies live there. If they don't mention the dead rising, then it's safe to assume it doesn't do that.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes first.

Then, when you've walked a mile and start to criticize him, he has to run a mile after you in his socks.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »

If you want to try it, I've got a site in a sinister biome which might have what you're looking for. It's a site with a couple of the more difficult environmental features, but a pretty low chance of immediate military danger. Key features:

-Non-reanimating.
-Intersecting rivers partition the map into four sections, making wildlife/invaders a bit easier to deal with.
-Relatively benign wildlife. You'll see ogres and harpies occasionally, but it's like 75% barn owls and rabbits. No undead.
-It seems to be a fairly remote site, meaning it will take longer for non-dwarven caravans to reach you, but it will take sieges just as long.
-Instead of grass, you get wormy tendrils and staring eyeballs, which is basically wiggly purple grass.
-Sliver barbs and glumprong trees, as you'd expect in an evil region.
-Creeping ash clouds. They turn your dwarves into thralls (same as husks). By far the hardest most fun feature of the site.
-Normal rain.
-Pretty flat land. Good for building.
-Aquifer. If you use the double slit method detailed on the wiki, it's not too hard to get through it, but it will take time.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's sand, too.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »

If you want to try it, I've got a site in a sinister biome which might have what you're looking for. It's a site with a couple of the more difficult environmental features, but a pretty low chance of immediate military danger. Key features:

-Non-reanimating.
-Intersecting rivers partition the map into four sections, making wildlife/invaders a bit easier to deal with.
-Relatively benign wildlife. You'll see ogres and harpies occasionally, but it's like 75% barn owls and rabbits. No undead.
-It seems to be a fairly remote site, meaning it will take longer for non-dwarven caravans to reach you, but it will take sieges just as long.
-Instead of grass, you get wormy tendrils and staring eyeballs, which is basically wiggly purple grass.
-Sliver barbs and glumprong trees, as you'd expect in an evil region.
-Creeping ash clouds. They turn your dwarves into thralls (same as husks). By far the hardest most fun feature of the site.
-Normal rain.
-Pretty flat land. Good for building.
-Aquifer. If you use the double slit method detailed on the wiki, it's not too hard to get through it, but it will take time.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's sand, too.

All right I'll give it a try, get some evil experience, then be suicidal and try something supah hard.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 06:17:10 pm »

Thralls are pretty much THE worst thing in evil biomes. Watch out!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 08:07:00 pm »

Ok, here's the worldgen information. Paste it into data\init\world_gen.txt, then create a new world with advanced parameters, choosing this world from the list on the right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's a picture to show you precisely where I embarked:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully I got everything right. Let me know if your world looks nothing like this.
Pages: [1] 2