Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How does Infection work?  (Read 1275 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does Infection work?
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:33:31 am »

So.. got a bunch of guys in the hostipal after last siege and most of them have infection in various locations, despite having soap and clean water around.

Anyways, I'm not particularly aware how the infection actually work, have somebody made any science on this?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: How does Infection work?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:34:20 am »

no science I've seen beyond soap usage improves the chance of recovering from infection.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:52:36 am »

It is possible to get wound infections before you can be cleaned with grimey water. Cleaning can fix that, I think. Maybe surgery is needed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »

Certain body parts (ears, nose, fingernails, etc.) will remain infected forever it seems.  Probably because, unmodded, the underlying tissue won't heal so the body part remains busted up forever.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:21:21 pm »

I just mod my raws to add a heal rate to nails, I just copy the heal rate of bones or cartilage, problem solved, you don't even need to regen.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:23:57 am »

I just mod my raws to add a heal rate to nails, I just copy the heal rate of bones or cartilage, problem solved, you don't even need to regen.

I probably should do this too. Any other suggestions on what to tamper with relating to healing now that I'm at it, not game breaking though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:38:40 am »

Basic information on infection:

When a dwarf is wounded their base chance of infection is based on a basic "dirtiness" number for each dwarf. This number decreases whenever the dwarf cleans themselves, especially if they clean themselves with soap and water. This base chance is then modified by whether or not the wound is cleaned, and if soap is used. The order of greatest chance of being infected to least is: (no cleaning)>(cleaning with water)>(cleaning with soap and water).

As for how the wound functions, you can think of an infection as basically working like a very slowly bleeding wound. If a dwarf is infected for long enough they will eventually turn "Pale" before "succumbing to the infection". The larger the wound is and the more infected wounds a dwarf has, the faster they will bleed out and succumb. However if the dwarf is healthy, tough, and the wound is small, it is possible for the dwarf to go years before death, or even possibly last indefinitely with an infected wound. Each infected wound also has a very small chance of healing at any given time, with the chance being based on the toughness and recuperative ability of the dwarf. If a body part does not heal then an infected wound in that part will never heal either.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:38 pm »

Is it only the Clean Self task that reduces dirtiness, or does getting them wet do that as well?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:06:11 pm »

Is it only the Clean Self task that reduces dirtiness, or does getting them wet do that as well?
I believe that getting them wet will reduce dirtiness, but I am not sure on that one. The original source simply stated that when a dwarf cleans themselves it reduces dirtiness without mentioning other cleaning methods.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 03:56:31 am »

Basic information on infection:

When a dwarf is wounded their base chance of infection is based on a basic "dirtiness" number for each dwarf. This number decreases whenever the dwarf cleans themselves, especially if they clean themselves with soap and water. This base chance is then modified by whether or not the wound is cleaned, and if soap is used. The order of greatest chance of being infected to least is: (no cleaning)>(cleaning with water)>(cleaning with soap and water).

As for how the wound functions, you can think of an infection as basically working like a very slowly bleeding wound. If a dwarf is infected for long enough they will eventually turn "Pale" before "succumbing to the infection". The larger the wound is and the more infected wounds a dwarf has, the faster they will bleed out and succumb. However if the dwarf is healthy, tough, and the wound is small, it is possible for the dwarf to go years before death, or even possibly last indefinitely with an infected wound. Each infected wound also has a very small chance of healing at any given time, with the chance being based on the toughness and recuperative ability of the dwarf. If a body part does not heal then an infected wound in that part will never heal either.

This is very interesting information. Any suggestion on how to get dwarves to clean themselves up more?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 06:23:52 am »

And here I thought paleness was due to blood loss. Good to know,i2amroy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 12:03:58 pm »

This is very interesting information. Any suggestion on how to get dwarves to clean themselves up more?

Have an active well, have bars of soap in a stockpile by that well.  Which also gives you the good thought of "had a nice soapy bath".

Or use a dwarven bathtub (but you need to be able to change the water out), or a mist generator.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 12:11:20 pm »

And here I thought paleness was due to blood loss. Good to know,i2amroy.
Paleness is due to blood loss, but infections tap into the same framework for causing deaths. The only real difference between death by blood loss and death by infection is that one gives the "has died" message and the other gives a "succumbed to infection" message.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 04:24:31 pm »

Can anyone explain which raws need to be altered exactly, and how ?

I would like to add healing rates to the tissues which never regenerate at the moment, since I think this is somewhat broken.
Can anyone help ?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 04:44:48 pm »

You need to go into <DF folder>/raw/objects/tissue_template_default.txt and look at each entry. An entry begins with the line [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:<name here>] and ends when either the next entry starts or the file ends. Within each entry is a set of tags that are mostly self-explanatory. The one for healing rate is [HEALING_RATE:<number>], where a lower number means faster healing. To add a healing rate to a tissue that doesn't heal in vanilla, just add the healing rate tag and fill in a number. The default rates are 100 for soft tissues, and 1000 for hard tissues. Use those numbers as a guideline. Note that the entry for nervous tissue covers only the spinal cord -- motor and sensory nerves are handled differently and are almost completely hardcoded.

Altering the raw/objects file will only affect future worldgens. To alter the game you're currently playing, go into <DF folder>/data/save/<folder you load your current fortress from>/raw/objects/tissue_template_default.txt. The folder you're after probably has a name like region1, since the game names generated worlds as 'region' and then adds a number as appropriate.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2