Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minecart spiral  (Read 6350 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart spiral
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 06:35:02 am »

More results: rollers are now pushing platinum minecarts up nine levels of spiral. I have no idea what caused this sudden change. If I can get that working consistently, that would be really good.

Replicated on an all-ramp, 2x2 spiral with an alder minecart. I've yet to see a cart's weight have any effect on its performance (other than when it hits things).

I then extended the spiral to 40+ levels, with a roller at every eight, thinking this would offer the most efficient build. While this design worked, the cart seemed to ignore each roller on its first pass, instead reaching the ninth level, pausing for a number of frames, then dropping down to the roller on the level below and being propelled up nine levels in the same manner. I think putting a roller on the ninth level would work, but this would increase build time and overall power consumption.

Adapting the 3 ramps followed by a flat section design to 7 ramps followed by a flat section proved a much smoother ride for the cart, spending 1 tick on each ramp and the flat, and 2 on the ramp with a roller, for a total of 9 ticks per 7 levels (the 3 ramp design was 5 ticks per 3 levels).

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 09:17:43 am »

The 3 level thing

Funny, I'm trying to do this but I'm not seeing either. I have a straight series of ramps that just look like this:

▲▼

With gear assemblies and rollers as appropriate. When the cart is empty, I need a roller (at highest speed) on every second ramp to keep it going. When it's full of magma, I need one on every single ramp. That's a lot of chains...

[EDIT]

Works awesomely now though, automated all the way, pulling magma up 35 z-levels. Problem is, when the cart is dumped down the shaft, magma mist is created at the bottom. This has so far set fire to one miner and one child who came to pick up his clothes once he died. I should probably block off that part but lets see how many dwarfspawn we can get rid off first.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:39:12 am by daneel »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »

For some reason, a long straight ramp isn't nearly as effective as a spiral one, though I don't know why this should be.

Problem is, when the cart is dumped down the shaft, magma mist is created at the bottom.
Hmm, yes, I probably should have mentioned that. The phenomenon does have its applications though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 02:38:42 pm »

Replicated on an all-ramp, 2x2 spiral with an alder minecart. I've yet to see a cart's weight have any effect on its performance (other than when it hits things).

I then extended the spiral to 40+ levels, with a roller at every eight, thinking this would offer the most efficient build. While this design worked, the cart seemed to ignore each roller on its first pass, instead reaching the ninth level, pausing for a number of frames, then dropping down to the roller on the level below and being propelled up nine levels in the same manner. I think putting a roller on the ninth level would work, but this would increase build time and overall power consumption.
Using the platinum minecart is mostly for show, to prevent 'what if you made the cart heavier?' posts. I think I'll switch to candlenut now. Much less likely to start a mid-test tantrum spiral.

When you talk about putting the roller on every ninth level, is that with the intention of putting the roller on whichever ramp the cart would normally pause at before rolling back down to bounce off the roller it ignored previously?

The next design I'm going to test will be one with the ramps occupying a 3x3 area and the power being supplied by one long axle / gear column. Quick top-down view of all levels combined:
Code: [Select]
# = wall
r = space occupied by ramps
P = space occupied by power train

#####
#rrr#
#r#r##
#rrrP#
######

I believe that this won't work due to the straight ramps in the design, but I'm going to test it anyway. Corner ramps seem to have odd properties, as shown by their ability to accelerate carts even in the absence of powered rollers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 03:03:18 pm »

When you talk about putting the roller on every ninth level, is that with the intention of putting the roller on whichever ramp the cart would normally pause at before rolling back down to bounce off the roller it ignored previously?

Yes. Given the time spent on the ninth level (in this case), I'd be surprised if a roller there didn't affect it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »

Aaaand the 3x3 design doesn't work, pushing the cart only four levels beyond its starting point.

Your design is probably the best possible in terms of power consumption vs. speed. To push a minecart up nine levels and have a roller ready on the ninth level would require more power and more connections, and 9 ticks per 7 levels is already close to the maximum speed a roller can acheive.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]