Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About clothing...  (Read 727 times)

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About clothing...
« on: September 03, 2012, 04:49:42 am »

Apparently dwarves started complaining about old clothes. Therefore I started my own textile/leather industry and started to make my own. The problem is that dwarves seem to be still unhappy. I've checked the inventories of unhappy dwarves and apparently the old stuffs are socks, mitten and gloves  :o

Does it mean I have to make socks/mitten/hood etc... for EVERYONE? oO

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: About clothing...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 05:02:22 am »

They'll keep clothings that don't matches the layer and type of clothing you makes just to spite you.

You only really need to make sock, trouser/skirt and dress/robe/cloak to cover the necessary body parts, but they won't change the rest of it.

I usually just ignore them or use the military to strip them down and smash the unwanted clothings while they pick up homemade ones.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 05:27:43 am »

Will they eventually dump their old stuffs then replace them with new ones? Once they've thrown away their old socks, will they complain for not having new ones?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:44:02 am »

If it's from same layer and part of body, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Armor#Layers then they'll replace it with new one when avaliable. Otherwise they won't and complain about rotting clothings ( At least that's my experience with 34.09, it might've changed in 34.11 ).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 06:52:01 am »

You need, at a minimum:

1. Upper body coverings
2. Lower body coverings
3. Foot coverings

Other stuff is nice--for instance, leather caps help protect your civilians from attacks. Help, mind you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:02 am »

I see. I thought that would be in the clothes section of the wiki. Cheers!
You need, at a minimum:

1. Upper body coverings
2. Lower body coverings
3. Foot coverings

Other stuff is nice--for instance, leather caps help protect your civilians from attacks. Help, mind you.
In that case why do they complain about old gloves and socks? (if they only need for upper/lower and feet covering)?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 06:57:54 am »

...Socks are foot-coverings. And that's the minimum to avoid bad thoughts about unclothedness; I'd imagine that rotting gloves would be pretty unpleasant.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:02:08 am »

I see. I thought that would be in the clothes section of the wiki. Cheers!
You need, at a minimum:

1. Upper body coverings
2. Lower body coverings
3. Foot coverings

In that case why do they complain about old gloves and socks? (if they only need for upper/lower and feet covering)?

Because they don't replace what they don't have clothing part to replace with and keep it on until it rots off, even if basic covering up are sastified ( and you need sock or shoe to cover their feet ). I did said they were out to spite you :D

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 07:26:50 am »

Because they don't replace what they don't have clothing part to replace with and keep it on until it rots off, even if basic covering up are sastified ( and you need sock or shoe to cover their feet ). I did said they were out to spite you :D
At this point does it mean that clothes will disappear and the dwarf won't complain any more ?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:32:06 am »

At this point does it mean that clothes will disappear and the dwarf won't complain any more ?
Assuming you have the basic three parts covered up, yeah they won't complain when the rest rot off.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:32 pm »

Even though you may supply everything they need (chest, legs, feet), and unless you are very diligent, mittens, socks, capes, caps, etc. will always be in circulation and in various states of decay thanks to invaders and merchants.  I just keep enough clothing for miners/woodcutters (hunters if I have any) due to equipment mismatch issues, children, and anyone else I can't or won't put into a military squad for whatever reason. IMO, best to put as many of your dwarves as you can in a squad and assign them copper, iron, and/or leather armor (set to replace clothing) and be done with the whole mess.  As a side benefit, you train up your armor-smith too.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »

Armor doesn't rot, so I've taken the path of putting everyone in a military squad and assigning them bone leggings, leather armor, and leather boots. I also have them carry crossbows and bolts because why not. I set up a road winding around the watchtower above the entrance to my fort, so my civilians can serve as both the first strike team and a last ditch defense, if nothing else.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 04:02:20 pm »

I usually just ignore them or use the military to strip them down and smash the unwanted clothings while they pick up homemade ones.

This is one time I'd recommend using a DFhack 'cheat' because you're getting them to do something sensible with less micromanagement than that.

The cleanowned command has some arguments that let you order dwarves to Dump worn clothing.

cleanowned X

note that the x is case sensitive, so you can specify wear level x and above, or wear level X and above.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena