Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rayearthen, monument to the Toad  (Read 3365 times)

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rayearthen, monument to the Toad
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:43:28 am »

Urist Koganrifot (Boatblocked) was a dwarf like many others, fond of drink and industry.  But one night, near the end of winter at the start of 158, Urist dreamed...

When he awoke, he found his 6 closest and hardiest friends and prepared carefully.  That spring they struck the earth and Rayearthen was founded.

The seven built a small fort on the north side of the volcano and began planning a great fortress that could support the works Urist had dreamed of.

By 169, the fort was humming along and the dream had begun to take shape.  A great toad head protruding from the magma!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The frozen blood of Armok formed the bulk of the body, but with a golden throat, porcelain lips, crystal glass eyes (rimmed with olivine, backed with kimberlite, with bituminous coal pupils to be set alight).  In the coming years, Urist would completely encase the head and provide smooth ramps and beautiful warts of precious metals!  And... praise the miners... a tongue of blue candy.  From the base, they would pump magma up to the mouth so that it might drip from the tongue.

Another year has passed and the great toad's skin is complete. 

The magma pumps are ready to pull hot death up to the mouth and out onto the tongue.  Praise the miners and all, but I decided to do a proof of concept with petrified wood.  In spite of several sieges, we've managed to trade with a few caravans and have samples of every metal, and have traded or created every alloy I can think of.  The back of the toad is studded from top to bottom with glorious warts of rhino soap, giant turtle soap, platinum, gold, steel, pig iron, iron, porcelein, crystal glass, silver, nickel, copper, zinc, tin, bismuth, rose gold, billon, electrum, nickel silver, sterling silver, fine pewter, lay pewter, trifle pewter, black bronze, bismuth bronze, bronze, and brass.

In the coming seasons we will start the flow of magma.  Unfortunately our plumbers didn't think to seperate the pressurized magma tubes (which will be pressurized by the toad when the tongue is closed) from the unpressurized tube that draws from the caldera, so we will have to find an exotic way to seperate the two networks (too close to the surface for a clean cave-in through floor).  I forsee several of my most useless dwarves volunteering to assist in this endeavor.  One child already deconstructed a down stairway over lava - not realizing the up stairway had already been removed.  The child's "exploration" on the way to the bottom revealed several interesting features!  Once the magma flows, we shall seal the toad and begin dropping the surface to reveal the fortress that lies beneath!

Two more years of labor and we've created a valley for our toad to lord over.  Every able-bodied dwarf without a useful skill (yes Mebzuth, you're an excellent milker, but here we drink ALCOHOL) was given a pick.  We carved out a void underneath the slope that mirrored the slope, then let it drop.  The result?  A flattened hill, but with the top soil layers still intact.  Only a few dwarves died. 

LARGE SCREENSHOTS

The project would've gone faster, but the northwest corner cut through an aquifer.  I am a hardcore overseer.  There would be no walling off the area to be collapsed (I want it flat.  Flat.) and so we dug up staircases around the edges, and then channeled them out (avoiding the aquifer) and then channeled through the aquifer, setting up grates to stand on while channeling and walling off the outer layer (so that the aquifer would be contained post-collapse).  The inner aquifer tiles we contained with a series of bridges and unsupported doors while we finished channeling out the support for the giagantic inner hill that we planned to collapse.  (Several test collapses were done to identify flaws in the carved out area that kept it from being flat).  While the surface of the valley looks like colorful stone, that's actually just the dust from the collapse.

We also spent a good deal of time trying to set artifacts on fire in the eye sockets.  Dumping magma directly onto wood artifacts destroys them.  Dumping it onto bins sets the bins on fire, but also moves them around.  The next attempt will be dumping magma onto a nearby square and having plenty of flammable stuff around in hopes the fire will spread to the artifacts in the eyes.

(more screenshots as I actually complete those parts... and this is only the start of my first true megaproject!)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:47:47 pm by Fnear »

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rayearthen, monument to the Toad
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:48:04 am »

Godspeed, my friend.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:15:05 pm »

May your journey be full of explosions and minerals.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »

This will be interesting...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:16:03 pm »

This sounds awesome. I don't think constructions can burn, but if you just put a chunk of coal or flammable artifact there, it will.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:21:21 pm »

You could also stick, say, a fire man or a dragon in there.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:22:34 pm »

I am posting to watch. I know I will not be disappointed.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:03:23 pm »

I am posting to watch. I know I will not be disappointed.
Seconded. I want to see how this goes.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »

make it vomit magma.

Even though toads technically can't vomit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:38 am »

I'd be surprised if some time in the history of humanity there wasn't at least one person who thought to himself:
"You know what I need to do? I need to make Toads regurgitate."

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:23:35 am »

This is fucking magical.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:36:50 am »

For an added bonus, make militia come out of the frog's back.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:30:07 am »

I'd be surprised if some time in the history of humanity there wasn't at least one person who thought to himself:
"You know what I need to do? I need to make Toads regurgitate."

There was! And he discovered that toads don't vomit. Well, not in the traditional sense. They hork up their stomach (inside out), scrape everything out and, un, ungurgitate it I guess. What the hell is the correct verb for pulling your own stomach in through your mouth?

It's clear how this should be applied, though - minecart shotgun out the mouth.

What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 05:53:00 pm »

Just like starfish!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »

Tested the magma flow off the tongue, and collapsed the entire hill in front of the toad.
Pages: [1] 2