- 0 (0%)
Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish!
- 0 (0%)
Make Another One Fool!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 11, 2012, 11:27:31 pm

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 55

Author Topic: Roll to Migrate: Planet H-3 - Day 3 - Second Wave - No Slots Presently Open  (Read 47290 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Roll to Migrate - Day 3 - Second Wave - No Slots Presently Open
« Reply #615 on: October 03, 2012, 08:17:26 pm »

Since the Rappel Team will likely be reacting to the catastrophes that are sure to come, and therefore cannot be Auto'd, either Vincent or Aneos will switch places with him. Jim gets to stay behind because he's the driver, and Haurk wins a pass since he has the drone. I'll roll a d4 to decide who gets put on the Rappel team. Aneos wins High [4, 3], and Vincent wins Low [1,2].

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #616 on: October 03, 2012, 08:19:44 pm »

[2]    Aneos has joined the Rappel Team!    Perrin has joined the Hoisting Team!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #617 on: October 03, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »

This would be a good time to address the rappelling mechanics. Each Migrant rolls a safety check at the beginning of his descent. The outcome determines how many hardpoints you have left. If they all break due to mishap, then you will be forced to descend with your bare hands. Bare handed descent gives you a -1 to the appropriate rolls. If you spend more than two action rolls whilst descending bare handed, you will finish your last action before losing your grip and falling, regardless of your position on the rope.

<Scan area around pit>
Gets comfortable and looks around
"Fame huh? Guess thats better than why i'm here."
You kick back and remain vigilant. So far nothing has shown up on your scans, and you're rather disappointed. Perhaps you could attempt to apply more specific search parameters.

((thanks)) Gordon stares at the rock, his unease continuing to build as his gaze lingers.

*To himself
"Pull it together, soldier! Your just being paranoid, like that time on Pandora.

Then again, he'd also been right about Pandora, though he hadn't discovered that until after he had joined the Migrant Program. Eventually, after several minutes of internal debate, he comes to a decision.

Take a marksman's stance 50 feet from the boulder.

"Guys. I know this sounds crazy, but I think this boulder is trying to kill us."

Aim at the boulder.
You shift your position about ten feet further from the original and sight in on the boulder once more. A feeling of unease begins to build in you once more and you break out in a nervous sweat. After a few more minutes of watching, your head is pounding and you almost feel like screaming.

Hey Gordon, if you think it's a critter best not mess with it while we're all away. Ok guys, lets head on down, one at a time just like I showed you.

Rappel down the cliff.
You give the others a pep talk as you prepare to make your downward climb. "Just take it easy and follow my lead. So long as you don't hesitate, you should be fine." [6 + 1] You use your standard descent technique and clip the rope to your waist using a single carabiner before stepping off of the ledge and sprinting down the wall of the Pit. You're already halfway down before the others even start. Amateurs. You think to yourself as you rocket forward at ludicrous speeds.

"Most likely it's simply one of the organisms on this planet, or a strange material. Honestly you could waste ammo on it if you want, but that stuff costs a lot, so try not to." Do my thing when everyone is ready.
You wait for Reggie to clip in before hooking on yourself. [6] [3 Hardpoints, speed reduced] You clipped the rope to a few too many hardpoints and now you're extra safe, if a bit slow and also very likely to get tangled. Your technique is flawless however and you begin slowly making progress downwards. You look behind you and notice that Reggie is merely a speck now.

It wouldn't surprise me, almost the entire planet is trying to kill us.

I also do my thing when everyone else is ready.

Speaking of things that are trying to kill us, what should I name those monsters?
You stand near the ledge with the rope around your waist just like Reggie showed you and act as a friction point to prevent the rope from being worn down by rubbing against the rocky ground. You're temporarily immobilised while people are on the rope. If the rope is pulled in either direction, you will be pulled with it. If you are not on the rope when the Migrants are using it, the rope will receive a Break Check every turn until you return to it.

"You guys ready? Okay, let's go then."

Check the gear and man my station.
You hop onto the rover and engage the brakes in order to prevent the rover from sliding.

((Want to apologize for mot being around. I've been having some family issues leave me upset to the point of reclusiveness from everything for the last few days. Tried posting, didn't have the mental power to do so. I hope it's worked out now; will try to give at least minimalist actions.))

snap out of the daze I've been in after realizing everyone on planet is crazy.

"I'll have Vixen keep you company, if you're so worried about the boulder."

<Vixen, stay on the ridge, and watch the surroundings for anymore wildlife. Check the boulder the crazy guy is aiming at. Send an audio alert if you detect anything.>

prepare to rappel while mumbling about everyone being trained to build robots, not climb cliffs.

((I'm winging Vixen's commands/abilities, you can run her how you want to in response to the commands.))
You order Vixen to stay on the ridge and hook onto the rope. [2] It goes around this right? [1 Hardpoint] You slide down the rope and directly into Aneos. [Fall Check: 6] One of Aneos' hardpoints snap completely off of the suit and he slips a bit before regaining control. Vincent, along with the rover, slide towards the Pit for a moment before stopping, but they still have plenty of breathing room. Aneos and Cletus have both made about eight feet of progress thus far. [Aneos -1 Hardpoint, speed normalised]

((Uh, Alanoran. Do you remember the pit being about an hour away by rover from the Hab Module? And, if so, how's the Vixen supposed to get there? Does it have rockets in its feet or anti-grav pods in its belly? Because that would be awesome; having a flying robot fox on our side.))

"Gordon, be wary of that rock. I saw some old 21st century movie with rocks that fell from space and those rocks tuned out to be giant alien robots that, when awakened, wanted something called the 'Hall Mark' to rule mankind. But, then again, it was just a movie." As he says this, Yhgi clips his hard-points to the carbon rope, makes like a tree, and leaves.
[1] You turn on your heel and scream like a madman before performing a flying leap directly into Vincent's gut. I'M A LEAVE! The two of you achieve orbit momentarily before roughly landing on the ground in a heap. The friction point is no longer manned. [Break Check: 4] The line quickly eats through its slack before pulling taut against the sharp edge of the cliff. It strains dangerously and threatens to snap. [Fall Check: 5] Everyone on the rope manages to maintain their hold during the free-fall.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:40:27 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 03, 2012, 09:32:00 pm »

I'M A LEAVE!
((Never change man, never change.))

Continue descent.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:22 pm »

"Sh*t!"

EDIT: NVM.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:57:07 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #620 on: October 03, 2012, 10:03:25 pm »

"Sh*t!"

Lock the brakes, man the point until Perrin is back on the job. Then, return to my post.
The brakes are already locked. By the time you climb off of the rover and get over there Vincent will have already returned to it. Unless he explodes or something.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:40:54 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Serious Business

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 03, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »

Vincent pulls back a bit and reads himself for more catastrophe.

Aaagh!  Be a bit more careful guys!  And you say I'm the mentally unstable one.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #622 on: October 03, 2012, 10:42:32 pm »

All instances of Perrin in the Action Post have been changed to Vincent. My mistake, since Vincent was the one manning the friction point, whereas Perrin is actually just standing there watching you all try not to die horribly.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #623 on: October 03, 2012, 11:18:23 pm »

((Oh man. I am so glad I went first. Although..."ludicrous speed" sounds like a double edged sword...))

Reggie swore quietly to himself, something about the people above being related to dingo. "What the hell are they doing, playing jump-rope?" he thought.

Continue Descent. If/when down un-clip and step away from the cliff to avoid being struck by any falling objects.

Reggie Psmith
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #624 on: October 03, 2012, 11:53:32 pm »

((Oh man. I am so glad I went first. Although..."ludicrous speed" sounds like a double edged sword...))

Reggie swore quietly to himself, something about the people above being related to dingo. "What the hell are they doing, playing jump-rope?" he thought.

Continue Descent. If/when down un-clip and step away from the cliff to avoid being struck by any falling objects.

Reggie Psmith
You get an update now, since you have been moving while all of that nonsense was going on upstairs.

[5 + 1 skill (not from your roping bonus)] You unclip from the rope mid-stride and dextrously flip from the wall just before you smash into the ground headfirst. Despite your skill and impeccable form, the leap wasn't very well timed, and you end up landing hard on your back instead of your feet. You're about to stand up when you notice that there is a rather upsetting number of thin, pointed crystals protruding from your right shoulder. Ouch.

Yhgi117

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud owner of an Internet connection. Mostly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 04, 2012, 05:59:56 am »

((God, that made me laugh [the action post, not Reggie's impalement]. Great job, me.))

Yhgi dusts himself off after his compulsive mega-leaf-hug, and helps Vince up. After apologising many times for making a scene, he mutters something about making references and attempts to get Vincent to re-man the friction point before everyone falls to their doom.

You turn on your heel and scream like a madman before performing a flying leap directly into Vincent's gut. I'M A LEAVE! The two of you achieve orbit momentarily before roughly landing on the ground in a heap.

Jatha

• Bay Watcher
  • And people say I have no sense of irony...
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 04, 2012, 12:05:12 pm »

Keep watching the rock

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #627 on: October 04, 2012, 04:17:46 pm »

After a moment of confusion about what he was seeing Reggie felt a surge of panic which he quickly fought back down. He thought back to his survival training. All his instructors said that people in trouble often lost control because they let themselves get overwhelmed. Break this into manageable chunks. Figure out what to do first: I'm not alone; Report the problem. Then figure out the next thing.

Radio: "Reggie here. Be careful at the bottom, there are crystals here that are like ice picks. I botched my dismount and I've get a few straight through my shoulder. I'm not sure I can move without doing more damage."

While moving as little as possible attempt to determine if the crystals are attached to the ground.

Contingency 1: If they are not, get up. If I can still do anything else knock down any spike clusters near the rope with my pick only using my left arm.

Contingency 2: If the crystals impaling me seem to be fixed in place lie there and hope I'm not bleeding too much.

((I think Reggie is going to need help with this when more of you get down. He know how he wants to handle this though so don't do much until he asks pls))

Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Serious Business

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 04, 2012, 07:30:18 pm »

Vincent gets back to the line as quickly and safely as possible.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #629 on: October 04, 2012, 09:32:42 pm »

I'M A LEAVE!
((Never change man, never change.))

Continue descent.
You take a deep breath and try to get moving again. [3] Your brake hand slips momentarily and you begin to pick up speed. You're having a hard time regaining control and getting your brake hand back into position. The line smokes as it flits through your guide hand, the only thing keeping you from going into free-fall.

"Sh*t!"

Lock the brakes, man the point until Vincent is back on the job. Then, return to my post.
You stare in horror, mouth agape, as Yhgi tackles Vincent to the ground and the line pulls tight against the edge of the cliff. You're about to hop down and go man the friction point yourself when Vincent jumps to his feet and dashes over to grab the rope. You plop back down onto the deck and watch the scene play out with bated breath.

((God, that made me laugh [the action post, not Reggie's impalement]. Great job, me.))

Yhgi dusts himself off after his compulsive mega-leaf-hug, and helps Vince up. After apologising many times for making a scene, he mutters something about making references and attempts to get Vincent to re-man the friction point before everyone falls to their doom.
You stand up and are about to deliver a heartfelt apology when Vincent rolls to his feet and sprints towards the rope urgently. Whats eating him?

Keep watching the rock
You grit your teeth and slog on, staring at the rock with a mixture of watchful diligence and world-sundering fury. DO SOMETHING DAMN YOU!!

The rock twitches.

After a moment of confusion about what he was seeing Reggie felt a surge of panic which he quickly fought back down. He thought back to his survival training. All his instructors said that people in trouble often lost control because they let themselves get overwhelmed. Break this into manageable chunks. Figure out what to do first: I'm not alone; Report the problem. Then figure out the next thing.

Radio: "Reggie here. Be careful at the bottom, there are crystals here that are like ice picks. I botched my dismount and I've get a few straight through my shoulder. I'm not sure I can move without doing more damage."

While moving as little as possible attempt to determine if the crystals are attached to the ground.

Contingency 1: If they are not, get up. If I can still do anything else knock down any spike clusters near the rope with my pick only using my left arm.

Contingency 2: If the crystals impaling me seem to be fixed in place lie there and hope I'm not bleeding too much.

((I think Reggie is going to need help with this when more of you get down. He know how he wants to handle this though so don't do much until he asks pls))

Crikey! This is almost as bad as the time that King-Ray nipped me in the spine. Still got the scars! Turning your head gingerly, you look at the menacingly sharp crystals protruding through the cloth portion of the suit's shoulder joint. Definitely worse than a King-Ray. There are fewer than a dozen impaling you that you can see, but you notice after some careful movement that you can feel several more that only partially pierced the back of your shoulder, and that they are indeed rooted into the ground. The wounds are clean and aren't bleeding overly much. As long as you move cautiously it should stay that way. You wonder if these crystals are a byproduct of that huge creature that the others have spoken of, the one covered in 'needles'. You grin painfully. Can't wait to return the favor!

Luckily, there was only a small patch of the shards here at the foot of the rope, and the only other crystals you can see are much further away from where you lie. You manage to work your Jammer out from under you with your left hand and reach over yourself, and being cautious not to worsen your wound, break the tips off of all of the crystals you can see. They're rather fragile and break easily, and you're suddenly worried about having to let the doc dig around in your shoulder for broken pieces of crystal. You wince at the thought, despite yourself.

Vincent gets back to the line as quickly and safely as possible.
You hop to your feet, shoving Yhgi out of your way as he begins reciting the first line of an emotional haiku about the wonders of Autumn, and run over to the line, pulling it up and into your arms and taking all of the weight before having Jim release the brakes and drive towards you to create some slack. Once this is done, Perrin takes your position so that you are free to set yourself up on the friction point. Following your preparations, you work together with Perrin to get you back into place. Friction Point manned, cable intact.

Quote from: Alanoran
Alanoran has been auto'd.
[4] You make some progress, but not much. You nearly lose your hold a few times, but otherwise you've done fine.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 55