Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging Upwards?  (Read 1203 times)

Mythalinear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging Upwards?
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »

I am trying to have my dwarves dig up into the next level but am at a loss for how to do this...

Designating Down Stairs or Up/Down Stairs makes the level below available to dig into, but Up Stairs and Up / Down Stairs don't do the same for the level above.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging Upwards?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »

Dig or construct up or up/down stairs, then dig down or up/down stairs directly above them. A tile doesn't have to be revealed to be mined into. Alternatively, dig ramps on your level, which will remove the floor and wall above as well. Ramps are a bit trickier to make usable, however, so make sure you understand how they work and how they don't work first.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:06:47 pm »

Are you trying to dig, or make stairs in the level above?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:15:39 pm »

"Up stairs" can either be dug into a wall iirc, or constructed as a construction (b-C). Once you've done that you can dig a down stairs or up/down stairs above the new up stairs and your dwarfs should have access.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:39:50 am »

The fact that it is not revealed of couse makes it extremely risky. Digging up into an aquifer or cavern is not good.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:19 am »

You should get a warning before digging into aquifers, specifically the level below the aquifer flooding.

In general, it's good to know where the aquifers are.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:07:14 am »

You should get a warning before digging into aquifers, specifically the level below the aquifer flooding.

I didn't get any warning when I started digging out the level below aquifer in a few fortresses and flooded myself, granted it was a stone layer, but still. Put walls around whatever you're using to drill through aquifer at least a level past where the water is so you don't accidentally dig out into water.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:42:24 am »

Doors are always good around aquifers. If a section is flooded, it can be sealed off very quickly. A bit tough for anyone trapped inside, but hey.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 07:48:36 am »

I didn't get any warning when I started digging out the level below aquifer in a few fortresses and flooded myself, granted it was a stone layer, but still. Put walls around whatever you're using to drill through aquifer at least a level past where the water is so you don't accidentally dig out into water.
I thought you would have gotten a dam...ah, unrevealed.
Note that I said you'd be reminded of the aquifer with a flood. Did that not happen?
Sig

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:58:03 am »

I thought you would have gotten a dam...ah, unrevealed.
Note that I said you'd be reminded of the aquifer with a flood. Did that not happen?

Flooding certainly happened! And makes the whole place inaccessible with multi-z aquifers short of driving another shaft down. I always forget that the level below aquifer still leaks from ceiling even without damp warning. I keep having to remember to wall up one more z just in case :D