Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disappearing units/HFS  (Read 679 times)

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disappearing units/HFS
« on: September 02, 2012, 05:38:09 am »

So, I finally did it. I finally reached HFS, and my units screen swelled to over 100 for a little while in the others section; I noticed that I didn't yet have a direct walking path into my fortress prior, so I continued to poke around a bit more--The new friends of my fortress eventually found a way into my exploratory tunnels, due to their ability to fly; I'm assuming.

Anywho--The number of units from this newfound place of friendliness dropped down to 6, and while I was following one watching him introduce himself to my dwarves; The number dropped down to 2. I checked my dead count to make sure nobody had caressed him too hard, and he wasn't there.
What's happening to all of my newfound guests?

A similar situation happened with a siege some time ago, don't know if it's related. They attacked, I vaulted up and sealed them outside, and after awhile of kicking rocks and staring at my closed door, they just up and left (I'm assuming, I didn't actually SEE them leave)

So what's going on with these new friends of mine?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing units/HFS
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:14:22 am »

They are either off the map, or in the unrevealed parts of it.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:33:06 am »

You can tell if they're still alive by the ungodly lag you'll be experiencing.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »

If you can still play your fortress, they've wandered off.

If not...they are hiding somewhere...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:02:28 pm »

This same thing happened with a  goblin siege though, a 72 goblin army breached my fortress; I sent a single squad (albiet well trained) to repel them while I was working on trying to finish my project before the inevitable end; I wasn't watching the battle  but there weren't alot of dead bodies in the unit viewer, but the siege was over and they were all gone. I wasn't watching but I find it pretty hard to believe that my men repelled all 72 of them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »

I suspect you killed someone important and the rest skedaddled.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:01:23 pm »

I suspect you killed someone important and the rest skedaddled.
I can't reallreference the same thread, but I had a seige where I WOUNDED one guy and they booked it. It was just a bolt to his stomach and they booked it. Yeah the guy died before he left the map, but they all left WHEN he was hit
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:12:22 pm »

THE GOBLINS HAVE ESP?!?!?
Sig

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »

THE GOBLINS HAVE ESP?!?!?
Is ESP is escaped, then yes, a caravan showed up and I ran to go defend it and the caravan guard shot the one goblin and they ran away. I guess a trading caravan that shot bolts at you was too scary for them

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »

No, they knew that their leader would die from the bolt so they, pardon the pun, bolted.
Sig

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:14 pm »

No, they knew that their leader would die from the bolt so they, pardon the pun, bolted.
Quite literally, they managed to evade dragonfire when they ran off

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:50:16 pm »

^They evaded dragonfire because they bolted from having a bolt shot at them by a random caravan while blood thirsty dwarves are charging them.

You lost me at Dragonfire. Was a dragon having a vacation in the area at the time?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 09:23:24 am »

^They evaded dragonfire because they bolted from having a bolt shot at them by a random caravan while blood thirsty dwarves are charging them.

You lost me at Dragonfire. Was a dragon having a vacation in the area at the time?
My dragon just got released along with the army because they were all melee goblins. I actually managed to do so much with that fortress, especially with my army of wolverines that gaurded the enterance (20+) led by a grizzly bear and a dragon. How I got the dragon is another story though, involving HUNDREDS of traps, the slaughter of hundreds of goblins, and a giant sword 8)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 09:24:09 am »

Crap, double posted :-[
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:29:06 am by highmax28 »