Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What would you do with a massive hole above your fortress?  (Read 1396 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What would you do with a massive hole above your fortress?
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:01:29 am »

I generated a world with 100 z-levels above cavern layer 3, intending to put my dwarves between 3 and the magma. All well and good, except that there's a deep pit right above where I would put my fort. Thus, before deciding the site is unsuitable, I'm pondering what to do with such a giant hole. At present, I'm thinking of mining out everything around it, building a huge tree farm, and leaving the layers selectively floodable. Once I add animals, I'll have a lovely nature preserve/arena/prison/science chamber/meat rain machine.

But that's just my limited imagination. What would you guys do with a giant hole in the ground above your fortress?

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do with a massive hole above your fortress?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:07:10 am »

Define Deep.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:18:26 am »

What do I do? I build my fortress in a tower hanging inside the hole. That's what I do.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 06:53:46 am »

What do I do? I build my fortress in a tower hanging inside the hole. That's what I do.

With self-destruct levers!
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Ushiromiya

• Bay Watcher
  • Witch hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:40:06 am »

Make a giant version of Sparta. Dwarf edition.
All mysteries can be explained with "Dwarf Tricks"

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:48:22 am »

I like this idea, plus having the outer rings be a nature preserve!

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:59:00 am »

PICTURES!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:28:15 am »

Pictures of what? It's a hole. It starts at -31 and ends at -135,  by the way, so "deep" is 104 z-levels. As for internal space, it occupies part of a 35x37 tile box, with 769 empty tiles per level. Not counting local variation at the ends, that's about 79,000 tiles of empty space.

Which is, you know, cool, but I still dunno what to DO with it. Building my fortress in it is a cool idea, though; the site's metal-rich enough that I could theoretically do a 20x20x100 solid (or hollow, with floors on every level) gold stalactite hanging off the ceiling, and still use less than half the gold on site. I probably should have mentioned that, in case it causes any ideas: the site, being so deep and having a mineral scarcity of 100, has 121,000 units of tetrahedrite, 96,000 of native gold, and at least a thousand of every other base metal in ore except platinum (267), bismuth(40), and native aluminum (0). Between that and 53,756 gems of various sorts, I could maybe cover the outside in gem-encrusted gold statues.

Unless there's a better use for it.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 12:24:24 pm »

This sounds likea proper cavern pit.   I love the idea of hanging the tower in it, I envision lots of retractable causeways.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 12:27:41 pm »

Yes, build gold pyramid in it, with silver furnishings and gem windows to look out at the depth for every single one of your dwarves. :D

I mean, not like there're better use for gold and silvers, are there?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:33:25 pm »

And no walls, only floors and stairs. And flying pets. And can I get a save or something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »

How ought I to post the world? I removed everything but sand, clay, and fire clay from the raws (this world gen was originally to play with as many industries as possible), so I don't know if a seed would work.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:17:10 pm »

Zip the folder using a utility like WinRar or 7Zip, upload to DFFD, and link the file here.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 01:19:43 pm »

...That.
Also, clay, fire clay, and sand? Sweet! You need to establish a colony on the surface to collect clay and sand, then dump them downstairs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 01:33:24 pm »

Or just dump the tiles themselves down via cave-in.

Also, does running a graphics set impact the usability of the save? if so, how can I make it more generally usable?

EDIT: Posted the save here. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6868
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:57:19 pm by Trekkin »
Pages: [1] 2