Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: DF versus RL  (Read 5345 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: DF versus RL
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 02:10:44 pm »

Technically humans do have one physical advantage over most animals (I've heard that some African tribes would walk various animals to death, defeating them with pure stamina), but other than that very minor quibble I entirely agree with the honey badger guy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »

Damn , I've always been thinking like that guy in the cool quote .

also im thinking that we have earned that meat because humans originally are plant eaters and just a bit hunters , because we have no sharp teeth , no sharp claws and we are not so agile . anyway , we slaughtered biggest predators and made +[insert large and dangerous predator here] meat biscuits+ out of them .
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:23:40 pm by brainfreez »
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 02:43:26 pm »

The amount of damage you'd do, and animals you'd kill, in converting enough land to feed all of humanity on plants alone, not to mention effects from alien species etc, would probably do fuckloads of ecological damage as well, in addition to overfishing, and as we wouldn't have a reason to keep nearly so many farm animals probably a lot less of them as well.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 02:57:57 pm »

Damn , I've always been thinking like that guy in the cool quote .

also im thinking that we have earned that meat because humans originally are plant eaters and just a bit hunters , because we have no sharp teeth , no sharp claws and we are not so agile . anyway , we slaughtered biggest predators and made +[insert large and dangerous predator here] meat biscuits+ out of them .
Actually, primates are pretty much all omnivorous. Also, herbivores tend to make better snacks than carnivores for some reason, but your point still stands even if we didn't commonly eat the big predators.

You know why Africa has the biggest living land animals? They're used to humans, so they didn't get killed off by them until we brought in guns and stuff.

The amount of damage you'd do, and animals you'd kill, in converting enough land to feed all of humanity on plants alone, not to mention effects from alien species etc, would probably do fuckloads of ecological damage as well, in addition to overfishing, and as we wouldn't have a reason to keep nearly so many farm animals probably a lot less of them as well.
True enough, but animals aren't really more space-efficient, since they also need to eat. The solution is to implement more efficient farming methods and stop overpopulation somehow.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:06:22 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 03:06:24 pm »

when the Europeans came , the predator genocide began .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 03:22:20 pm »

What happened to the saber-toothed tigers, the cave bears, the cave lions, the wooly mammoths, the ground sloths, the mastadons, the elephant birds, the moas, and all of the other big animals that were around until the first Native Americans or Aborigines or whomever showed up in the non-European areas? Did they mysteriously die of disease, did Europeans come several thousand years before archaeology says they did, or is that a false statement?
Sig

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 03:35:58 pm »

haven't you heard of ice age ?

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:06 pm »

What happened to the saber-toothed tigers, the cave bears, the cave lions, the wooly mammoths, the ground sloths, the mastadons, the elephant birds, the moas, and all of the other big animals that were around until the first Native Americans or Aborigines or whomever showed up in the non-European areas? Did they mysteriously die of disease, did Europeans come several thousand years before archaeology says they did, or is that a false statement?
Um, that was back when humans hunted for food and material. We now have farms to raise animals to eat. If i recall correctly, the animals you can buy at your grocery store are not extinct. Are pigs extinct? No. Cows? No. Chickens? No? Im not seeing your point here. Are you saying "Thousands of years ago we had to hunt, so if I eat steak they will go extinct"?

Also, Mammoths went extinct because the ice age ended, saber tooth tiger's were not a type of tiger, just a certain breed, and they never went extinct because of Humans, they just evolved (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber-toothed_cat). Im not sure what your trying to say here.....

Elephant birds did NOT go extinct because of food, they went extinct beccause people wanted the material, being a vegatarion would not have made a different, derp.

Like im note sure how if your confused here, but we don't hunt for food anymore.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:40:48 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 03:47:08 pm »

Technically humans do have one physical advantage over most animals (I've heard that some African tribes would walk various animals to death, defeating them with pure stamina), but other than that very minor quibble I entirely agree with the honey badger guy.
Not walk, run :P
We have a better cooling system than most other animals. With our shiny naked skin. Ftw.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 03:56:53 pm »

Um, that was back when humans hunted for food and material. We now have farms to raise animals to eat. If i recall correctly, the animals you can buy at your grocery store are not extinct. Are pigs extinct? No. Cows? No. Chickens? No? Im not seeing your point here. Are you saying "Thousands of years ago we had to hunt, so if I eat steak they will go extinct"?
Also, Mammoths went extinct because the ice age ended, saber tooth tiger's were not a type of tiger, just a certain breed, and they never went extinct because of Humans, they just evolved (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber-toothed_cat). Im not sure what your trying to say here.....
Elephant birds did NOT go extinct because of food, they went extinct beccause people wanted the material, being a vegatarion would not have made a different, derp.
Like im note sure how if your confused here, but we don't hunt for food anymore.
...I was responding to something entirely different, specifically someone claiming that Europeans started the whole mass extinction thing.

haven't you heard of ice age ?
Yeah, it's what all of those species had lived through several times. They simply moved south when it was colder and north when it was warmer.

Not walk, run :P
We have a better cooling system than most other animals. With our shiny naked skin. Ftw.
That makes it awesomer.
The fact that we probably have a higher surface-area-to-volume ratio probably helps, too.
Sig

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »

...I was responding to something entirely different, specifically someone claiming that Europeans started the whole mass extinction thing.
Lol, sorry about that :p
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 04:14:25 pm »

i didn't mean that Europeans slaughtered those beasts , i mean when they came with guns and other stuff , they killed wildlife for fun .

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »

Well, there isn't really some sort of absolute objective moral code that's ewn in stone in 50 ft. letters - all moral comes from a will. If someone finds it morally objectionable to eat meat, he cannot discuss the subject with someone who finds it acceptable - simply because of the different premises.

That being said, I'm vegetarian, but all those touchy-feely anti-meat-industry people are getting on my nerves as well. Mass-breading animals just to eat them when we might as well eat something less hard to produce is making nature one's bitch of the highest class.

Humans don't adapt to their surroundings; they adapt their surroundings to them.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 04:43:11 pm »

because humans can ! i bet , if cats could adapt their surroundings to them they would do it , the same goes for all creatures .
natures first rule is to survive even if it takes others life .

in this case , we changed the surroundings to survive without any problems .
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 04:46:15 pm by brainfreez »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 04:53:02 pm »

If someone finds it morally objectionable to eat meat, he cannot discuss the subject with someone who finds it acceptable
Explain?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6