Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: DF versus RL  (Read 5340 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: DF versus RL
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 09:40:01 pm »

Let the debate about if we were debating about debating commence, and may it spawn many other meta-meta-debates.
I propose we do not discuss whether or not we are debating about debating or meta-meta debates.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 02:23:39 am »

I read a book once that explained how plants scream when you mutilate them. We humans are too stupid to hear it, but other plants hear the screams and get scared. So it is morally wrong to eat vegetables. And we all know it is morally wrong to eat meat. Solution: Eat dirt!

This is the truth about eating, and if you don't agree, don't debate with me, because you are wrong. Except if you believe dirt is sentient. In that case, don't eat.

Problem solved :)
DF: where imagination beats animation

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 03:06:37 am »

Dirt is full of microorganism and bacteria, that dont fuck around when it comes to being eaten by people... in otherwords they know how to kill your dumb ass for eating them, besides that, dirt is made of brutally decomposed plants and animals and disolved rock.

Solution eat rock and mineral fragments.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 03:23:40 am »

minerals are perfectly fine , when it comes to eating them .

also , by eating soil , you eat bacteria and microbes that are alive and i bet if you would have super hearing , you could hear them screaming .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 03:46:14 am »

Well, the problem with that is that if you just chew up a rock or a bunch of minerals, there's a good chance that your throat will be cut to ribbons from a bunch of sharp edges, or you just end up with a big rock sitting in your stomach that you can't actually pass.

This is not the problem, this is the solution. Cut your throat from within and save the world.

DF: where imagination beats animation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 04:38:18 am »

I'm an omnivore. I eat a lot of meat, most likely too much meat when keeping in mind what it does to the world ecology, but I still want the animals to be treated with respect and care. They should live as good a life as is possible before they are killed, and be killed in the least painful way possible. They're living, thinking, and feeling beings, just like us, and though they may be dumber, that doesn't make them worthless and without rights.

So yeah, I would never eat (for example) your average American meat; it's and many, many other countries' meat businesses are fucking travesties. A mockery of everything humane and civil in civilisation.

I was briefly loking at Facebook, And I noticed a advertisement for einstein not eating meat. Curious, I looked it over. It's standard anti-animal cruelty video, a little graphic, but nothing I couldn't handle. But Then I read over a few of the comments, And I realized how far DF players are from the mainstream:
Its things like this that make me want to show more people DF to get their reactions. :P

DF animals are not alive. Neither are the dwarves and the humans. There is a big difference between fantasy and reality.

The amount of damage you'd do, and animals you'd kill, in converting enough land to feed all of humanity on plants alone, not to mention effects from alien species etc, would probably do fuckloads of ecological damage as well, in addition to overfishing, and as we wouldn't have a reason to keep nearly so many farm animals probably a lot less of them as well.

Right now, a lot of fertile land is used up to feed our overproduction of livestock. Plant > Livestock > Humans requires much, much more land than Plant > Humans does.

Technically humans do have one physical advantage over most animals (I've heard that some African tribes would walk various animals to death, defeating them with pure stamina), but other than that very minor quibble I entirely agree with the honey badger guy.
Not walk, run :P
We have a better cooling system than most other animals. With our shiny naked skin. Ftw.

Well, not run, exactly. Traditional hunting is mostly done through alternating slow jogs, walking, and a few sprints when necessary. The point is to keep the animal from feeling safe and getting rest, not to keep up with it or keep it at full speed all the time. We don't need to, as long as it is moving at a reasonable fast pace it will exhaust itself in short time.

Anyways, there's other reasons we keep animals, and would you want to give up sources of cheap fertilizer and such?

I'm not an expert but...
I don't think manure has been a primary source of fertilzer in the developed world in several generations. Also, according to things i've read it's more expensive than innorganic fertilizers.

Though it is probably more sustainable long term among other things.

I'd be surprised if cow manure could be considered expensive by any means.

Nope. It's expensive in comparison to synthesized fertiliser. Organic manure also doesn't come with all the nutrients plants need to grow well, which means you still have to buy synthetic shit or additives. On the other hand, I don't think you can use inorganic fertiliser on it's own either (as far as I can remember, at least), but it's not of equal measure.

Eating fruit is, of course, a lot less ethical than eating vegetables. When you eat a piece of fruit, you keep the seeds inside from ever being able to grow up! It's even worse when you eat nuts, you monster. That's like eating babies, except it's vegan!
Humans need to be cruel to survive. Deal with it, and find ways you can reduce the cruelty and not just shunt it off onto something you don't find as cute.

Not at all. Fruit tastes good because it wants to get eaten (yes, literally - if it didn't, it would taste bitter and poisonous, like many parts plants doesn't want us to eat does). You see, getting eaten is part of the reproduction cycle. The seeds aren't broken down in our stomachs, and shat out in a steaming pile of manure. In short;
1. Fruit Tastes Good
2. Fruit Gets Eaten
3. Seed Survives
4. Seed Is Expelled
5. Seed Gets Free Fertilizer To Grow In!

It's all evolution, man. It's all evolutionary beneficial for all of us. Or well, it used to be, before toilets and sewers. But that is why you stand up to the Man and shit outside instead! It's ethical and exciting fun for the whole family!
Love, scriver~

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 04:45:36 am »

cow tastes good
human grow cows
cows get nice and cozy life instead of getting hunt by lions and killed by infections
cow numbers skyrockets.

evolutionary, being tasty works great both way - on average. (it means that singularly you'll get killed but as a specie you'll thrive)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 05:08:02 am »

Most cows doesn't live "cosy" lives, and they certainly aren't saved from infections. Dying from infected wounds is pretty common for livestock around the world, and where it isn't the cows are practically showered in antibiotics instead, which it turn is part of the irresponsible use of such that causes antibiotic resistant bacteria to evolve.
Love, scriver~

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 05:10:26 am »

ok , now release ALL livestock back to wilderness and let's see how many millions will die after short time .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 05:14:12 am »

ok , now release ALL livestock back to wilderness and let's see how many millions will die after short time .

When did I ever say that should be done? That's a complete straw man.

addit: You have my position in the first lines of my first post in this thread, but in case I need to repeat it to you: Animals that are kept for meat and produce should be treated as well as possible during their lives.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:17:35 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 05:15:37 am »

true, but evolution works only in term of survivability of the specie, not of the single.

as a specie, cows, chicken and any animal in general which got symbiotic with humans is faring well (especially dogs)

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 05:22:34 am »

i am also for good treatment for animals , but the corporations care only about money , so they keep only the required minimums in animal care .

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 05:29:09 am »

true, but evolution works only in term of survivability of the specie, not of the single.

as a specie, cows, chicken and any animal in general which got symbiotic with humans is faring well (especially dogs)

Only if you define "fairing well" as "higher numbers of them exists", which I certainly wouldn't - it should be about the quality of the individual lives, not the numbers of them. Especially for dog, where the human breeding programs are focused more upon the appearance of the breed rather than their well being, leading to such "well being" as chronic back pain and inability to use their hind legs correctly (German Shepherd), common fungal infections as well as other nasty stuff (any dog with wrinkly skin), as well as genetic diseases and bad traits such as disposition towards blindness and eye conditions) being a lot more common than it would otherwise because of the rampant inbreeding. And that's not even getting started with the ridiculous cultural things we do to our dogs - cutting off their tails (which they need to communicate correctly to other dogs - it's like cutting off people's tongues, eyes, or hands), beating them, and so on. Yeah, people doesn't exactly treat their pets well either.

i am also for good treatment for animals , but the corporations care only about money , so they keep only the required minimums in animal care .

Absolutely true. Which is why the customers must demand better care from the companies, and voters stricter regulation from their politicians. To the barricades!
Love, scriver~

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 06:00:24 am »

Its not just animals that have become horribly dependant on their sick relationship with humans, corn for example literally cannot reproduce in the wild and needs humans to plant and grow the them due to mans disgusting interbreeding of the species.

Of course most of the cruelly grown corn is used to raise cruelty soaked cows.

Fruit is happy with you or anything eating it, as long as you plant the seeds afterwords, otherwise its just raping the plant for your own benefit.

I normally only complain about what other people eat, I just absorb cruelty from food and the enviroment.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:04:40 am by rarborman »
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 06:25:42 am »

nature created us like this and as long as we won't be forced to do something , we won't do it .
humans are lazy asses from nature and we will only do something (about the earth problems) when it will be too late .

humans did all this (inbreeding , livestocking and farming) to survive without problems , humans like careless life , so we adapted the world to our benefit , ignoring lesser creatures and using them as little fuzzy slaves , for doing stuff for us and feeding us after death .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:32:30 am by brainfreez »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6