Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: God Mode :P.  (Read 4176 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: God Mode :P.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 12:11:17 pm »

Actually, not much time was spent. Secondly, i wished to start a conversation which i seemed to have succeeded in ;). Thirdly, i didn't want endless questions about how i meant it to work, such as this:

"2. Being a god, period, gives you a certain immortality and omnipotence (or at least power) that seems to violate DF's motto of "Losing is Fun."
3. We all know we'd just wipe out all life on the planet."

Nevertheless, bluntness can be a good thing, but analyze my reasons first.

I'd also like special events to occur at the birth of a demigod or god, be it the world changing to their presence rather then the other way round or simply the elation or hate of other gods. If you pick a demigod, get ready to live in some interesting times from the outset. If toady does a liberal crime squad-esque question system that would be rather interesting in this case.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 03:08:26 pm »

I'm blunt

It isn't your bluntness that I think is your flaw... at least not the way you are using it. You are not dumb but you often don't use your reasoning to understand or expand upon an idea. Often giving the impression that you are not listening or you just didn't want to think at the time. (Honestly I tried 5 different ways of saying this. There is no "nice" way of writting this... yikes)

Why did you object to gods? because they are omnipotent, omnisentient, and absolutely immortal... who said they had to be omnipotent, omnisentient, and absolutely immortal?

---

Anyhow I don't think gods will be omnipotent or omnisentient given that these are polytheistic gods akin to Greek and Norse mythology... and not the Abrahamic Diety.

Afterall even Zues had challenges from titans (one of his greatest challenges was from a Titan).

Plus Titans as they are, are already partially gods. They are the Incarnate Gods (or physical gods). With demons also filling in a possible dietific role (though personally I'd rather have demon gods). Megabeasts is the range, at least the base, where I'd consider a god's physical form to be in terms of difficulty.

As well very few gods in mythology were truely immortal. Admittingly defeating a god would be more then a challenge, and even then it could just be an avatar.

I'd think a "god mode" would be about mortal and godly politics where you try to gain influence over the other gods. Which this influence being able to be translated dirrectly into your ability to affect the mortal world.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:20:50 pm by Neonivek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 05:02:42 pm »

Frankly, on the first read-through I read the suggestion as some kind of impersonal and extremely powerful entity. I didn't reread until your post, and now I see it as more like an adventurer who happens to have divine powers and responsibilities. That will be fine once gods start acting like that.
Note that my description is not meant literally.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 05:37:13 am »

I enjoyed reading the OP, and it made me think about the idea - Thank you.

God mode to me would add more to the game if it was a way to advance the world between forts, perhaps a season of world gen, then god tweaks, then another season, then more god tweaks.  I suggest this as a way of doing it that I would find interesting and fun. I don't think adding god mode on just a single fortress would seem different to cheating at fortress mode. I would want to see my favoured race triumph in the field of battle across the whole world. Competing with other gods to dump holly/hellish weather on other civs might also be fun. Seeding pegasus in elven woods might help them defeat pesky goblins, or seeding Wargs in goblin civs might give them the advantage over those constantly expanding human civs.

Anyway, theres some further thoughts released from my head.   Shoot down at will ;)

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 10:53:29 am »

Well, unless he actually said something novel that I missed, he's mostly just stating the obvious.
>actually said something novel
>OP's name is Novel

Oh, you.

Look, I'm going to be frank here. I don't really have anything to contribute to this topic. All we know is that God Mode is planned, and that's it's going to involve something. This entire thread is merely speculation. If I may toss some shit ideas though: maybe you would have to compete with other gods for worshipers or something, because gods obviously work like Freddy Kruger and if nobody believes in you then you can't do shit. You start out as the equivalent of a being with really high stats and the more crazy feats you do (from things like killing megabeasts to miracles to sermons on mounts), the more people believe in you and you get more superpowers. Eventually you'd get a religion and everything and you can kill your god friends by killing/stealing their followers. That sounds like something I would play, at least.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »

...I made a pun on accident! And it's funnier than most I make on purpose!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

triato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 05:48:16 pm »

I have been expecting this thread and also wanted to post it but didnīt becouse my ideas were not developed enough. But since it is started ill post what Ive been thinking.

Power based on worshipers, built temples, sacrifices, statues, etc. (as mentioned before)

Habilities like posession, becoming an avatar, sending dreams, plagues, weather control, animal influencing, life seeding, bringing creatures from other planes, etc (this powers should depend of the kind of god like toady says).

Hearing prayers.- A sumary of the most common prayers and the prayers from important NPCs is presented to you seasonally.

Damaging the followers or temples from other gods makes them your enemies.

You choose how fast or slow time passes, adventure mode time if you are to posses a character or send an avatar, fortress mode if you send a plague and seasonally when you just see the world change.

You can loose power if you loose followers, temples, etc. Also if your avatar dies before you come back to god mode (maybe a slow proces) You also loose power if you give powers to mortals.

I donīt like the idea of god points, but canīt think of other way. Maybe there are god points but you donīt get to see the exact number and instead get a description of how you fill and what you can do. You would use god points to manifest your powers.

More later

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 02:57:36 pm »

Obviously omnipotent, unkillable god mode would be stupid.  This seems more like old school greek gods, that were more like super powerful humans.  I like the idea of worshippers bringing more power, and I assume you'd want to convert or kill worshippers of rival gods.  This would dovetail pretty nicely with dwarf fort mode, especially once the army arc is implemented, so you could actively siege enemy worshippers. 

Outside of that, it's hard for me to imagine exactly what the gameplay would be.  Is it just fortress mode, but with multiple fortresses?  Or is there something fundamentally different from the current modes?

Edit - Unnecessary drama removed
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:44:02 am by Damiac »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 04:20:03 pm »

Damiac, you post basically to say I was being a jerk--something I'll admit to--and to say "Omnipotent gods are stupid" (what I was saying back when I thought that was what the OP was suggesting, and pretty much universally agreed on), "What would it be like?" Unless my memory is faulty, some methods have been suggested.
Sig

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »

-snip-

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 02:31:57 pm »

This seems, after some consideration, like something that could be done well and greatly enhance the game... or something that everyone hates. I wouldn't imagine Toady even starting on this until he had a general idea of exactly what he wants God mode to be.

On a more personal note, I wouldn't think a different version of adventure mode would really be a bonus, although demigod could be a step down from god and obviously a step up from hero. Yet God Mode itself would probably be a new mode. Maybe it could have it's own interface. No idea what it might look like though... Or at least have the gods exist on a more "spiritual" plane. Considerably smaller than in adventure or fortress mode, just so you can respond to the prayers or somesuch. When Toady finishes (releases a version including) spheres as important things you might just be a god assigned to a random or self-chosen sphere. Then you use your bailiwick to attract more followers, to gain more power, but not in a way that upsets other gods (who can/will kill you) who might not like you stealing their fanbase.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

dynamite8100

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:07 am »

When I read this post my immediate thought was: Terry Pratchett. Being a god like the ones form the discworld would really make god mode interesting. The amount of worshippers you have decides your power, and you can influence them in ways you want such as manifesting in visions or dreams, sending down prophets and smiting the heretic to make sure the populace stays fired up with a holy fervour. With reference to Pratchetts book, "Small gods," if you set up a successful and dominating religion, then eventually the holy fire dies in the hearts of your people without frequent holy events to keep them going and they begin to profess to beleive out of fear of the institution rather than beleving ut of fear of the god(you) itself. If you lose all worshippers it should be made that instead of losing, you are only able to appear in the minds of madmen. Also, the way you choose to manifest yourself to your followers should affect what things they associate with you, for example you appear as a giant pillar of magma, your followers associate you with pillars and magma if you dont already have any major defining elements.
"This is not war, this is pest control."

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »

The Discworld god's concept would likely be familiar to most people, and probably save a lot of the trouble of figuring out what the point is.
On that note however, what would God mode be for? Is it going to be the kind of thing were you only really need to become the strongest, or will it boast Fortress-esque goalless play? I think that might be important to figure out.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
Pages: 1 [2]