Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you had to choose between these two scenarios, which would you rather the future of humanity be?

Defenseless slave race, always inservice to others, but not having any enemies in particular.
Humans relentlessly conquer the galaxy, inspiring fear and hatred amongst all those which encounter us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hypothetical situation 2: Galactic Terran Empire  (Read 4670 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Hypothetical situation 2: Galactic Terran Empire
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 09:19:16 pm »

Actually I'll skip that I said back then and jump to a more immediateconclusion: option  2 could easily lead to option 1 or worse. After all, what is the most likely outcome of being a bully whom everyone else ends up hating? (Ask Hitler)
Godwin's law is invoked on a galactic scale?

But seriously if such a hypothetical empire existed, it'd be impossible to kill ALL the humans. Well, easily anyways. Like nids, but prettier.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 09:41:10 pm »

Even with us here on Earth, "kill all the humans" is a pretty tall order. Once we've spread throughout the universe there will be no exterminating us.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 09:42:23 pm »

We humans possess one undeniable talent; we are stubborn as all fucking hell. There is no way some other species could completely eradicate us.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 10:16:58 pm »

If either scenario were active, I remain like my current political viewpoint. Independent Neutral Rogue. I'm staying out of grander political matters, regardless of the background of either scenario, and just enjoy my life as a freelance pirate/bounty hunter/whatever opportunities come into view. How I come by those means, I would have my methods of obtainment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:18:40 pm by Itnetlolor »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 11:09:40 pm »

I'm sorry to keep Godwinningt it, but the thing is that these "Humans are unbeatable!" sermons aren't fundamentally different from Dolfie's Thousand Years Reich :-P
Even if it did not result in outright genocide, being pushed from "1337 3mpire" of the stars to struggling survivors should surely ammount to an undesirable outcome, no? :-P
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 11:14:21 pm »

We humans possess one undeniable talent; we are stubborn as all fucking hell.

What is this based on?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 11:30:11 pm »

We have seen no evidence for alien life. If this continues and it turns out intelligence is rare, we will most likely expand faster and faster, effectively seeding the entire galaxy with life in a short (relative to the lifespan of a star) time. There should be a 'We are the ancient aliens' option. Though this is unlikely, as we are living around a 3rd or so generation star, and even still it took a hell of a long time for multicellular life to evolve. Life existed since around the Hadean just after earth's formation, though it took billions of years more for life to grow to the required complexity for multicellular organisms to arise.

If that's not the case, and intelligent civilizations number ~10 to ~100 in the galaxy, we will still likely be far enough apart that barring FTL travel (which, let's face it, is so counter to known physics that there is a good chance it is entirely impossible), it will take tens, if not hundreds of thousands of years for human-spawn to reach them. At the point, human-descendants in different regions of space will be so different from one another that aliens with a different evolutionary root won't be much more different than those for whom we are ancestors. There is no 'unified humanity' concept when it takes several thousand years for signals to go from one colony to another on the far side of human-spawned civilization.

Further, if they are actually really advanced, we probably wouldn't even recognize them as living, let along intelligent. And outside of study, we would be of no use to them. At which point they would either go on their way not giving a crap or instantly euthenize the planet using tech as or more advanced than nanobots.

We humans possess one undeniable talent; we are stubborn as all fucking hell.
What is this based on?
Movie tropes. We actually give up really damn fast, to the point where the admiral trait of 'willpower' is seen as an admiral trait. For the most part, we can't even bring ourselves to do things we actually want to without great prodding. Sort of like that programming project I started and haven't worked on in a couple weeks. :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:37:26 pm by alway »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 11:34:33 pm »

FTL travel in the sense that "we exceed the speed of light, somehow" has a good chance of being actually impossible, but some form of rapid travel between vast distances seems more likely than not. Remember, at the very least wormholes are allowed to exist under our current understanding of physics, unlike straight FTL.

We probably won't see it, but I'd bet money that some humans, sometime, will.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 04:22:05 am »

The real question is, what would you do if all of bay12 was cryogenically frozen and woke up in the imperium of man, in the middle of a space hulk?
Panic because, now I've got to depend on a team of relatively estranged computer nerds for survival in combat. :P
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2012, 05:00:00 am »

The Emperor protects. Have you no faith, heretic?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 11:06:05 am »

The real question is, what would you do if all of bay12 was cryogenically frozen and woke up in the imperium of man, in the middle of a space hulk?
Panic because, now I've got to depend on a team of relatively estranged computer nerds for survival in combat. :P
nah, we'd just continue to program DF until it became self aware.

then it could help us!
You would deliberately construct an unchained machine-spirit? HERETIC!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:06 am »

Movie tropes. We actually give up really damn fast, to the point where the admiral trait of 'willpower' is seen as an admiral trait. For the most part, we can't even bring ourselves to do things we actually want to without great prodding. Sort of like that programming project I started and haven't worked on in a couple weeks. :P
If your programming project included lots of revenge with a side of schadenfreude, you'd work on it till you wear off your fingertips. Humans may not be stubborn in all areas, but when it comes to grudges our willpower is infinite.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 11:48:59 am »

Lets face it, if humanity ever gets to the point where it colonizes all the planets there will be no way of getting rid of them without destroying the planet. And even then there'd be angry survivors with nothing to lose. Imagine the skies darkening as billions of spehss rednecks descend from the heavens in righteous human fury...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »

Conquer, as I'd rather see my sponsored race see victory for once.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 12:21:09 pm »

Heh. If we ever do become the Precursors, chances are that we'll leave behind memetic agents in our surviving ruins and archives, destroying the focus of any xenos that happen across them. And then the human race was all of the SCPs. Even the Sueish ones.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4