Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Mixed emotions about the internet  (Read 12208 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed emotions about the internet
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 01:37:52 pm »

Whats 4chan? Seriously, i feel like i missed most of internet even though im on internet for quite long.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4chan

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »

Of your entire badly spelt post, this part I find sticks out most. This is... incredibly stupid? It's not even stupidity of a particular political creed, it's just plain stupidity. Moot isn't 'allowing theese (sic) things to happen'- there are rules to specifically prevent the posting of personal information on all boards of 4chan, as well as moderators to enforce these rules. If the owner of the site is making a recognisable attempt to police its contents, the removal of the site as well as taking legal action against the owner because people posted mean things seems a poorly thought out solution.

How come when some asshole disagrees with someone, they insult their spelling instead?

This isnt a spelling competition, its a discussion about a growing issue on the internet. Not everyone wants to bog down their browser with a spell checker addon.

You'll note that my main point wasn't about your spelling. Feel free to call me an asshole, though! It is important to spell properly, especially in environments such as forums where you're encouraged to take a while to type your posts. It helps with readability as well as giving both the impression that you care about what you're typing, and that you're literate (useful when you want to show people your opinions have some amount of value).
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 02:12:39 pm »

*snip*
It's still quite silly, but I can't almost see an inkling of sense in it. It is sorta' irresponsible to design or maintain a system you can't control. If it gets beyond one's ability to control (grows too large, moves too fast, etc.), then maybe one should shut down, abdicate, or find a way to redesign the system so it's manageable?
By this definition... youtube would go down in flames.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 02:14:24 pm »

Spoiler: Bit of a story here (click to show/hide)
(applause)
Sorry to quote this but there is no better comment
* Itnetlolor bows

Thank you.

And I think when I returned to the same place a couple years later, out of curiosity, the same person that started it and thanked me for helping them get recognized on the site as one of them and further explained things as to why I was attacked, and how to not let it happen again, before my departure, he also stated he would not bring it up again. Bullshit, he brought it back up again a year or two after the incident, and I was "confirmed dead" (helped that with accounts that couldn't be removed, I just didn't use them for a year at minimum to lay low). Well, at least, he was mentioning it as one of his greater moments. Cue the response of a few other forumites that still felt a little nervous about his statement, and were even calling it out as not as much a success, and still don't know what to make of the entire incident, and don't want to mention it again, in case I was reading it. To this day, they still couldn't tell if all the information they collected about me, and assaulted me and my family with, was real or not, and they didn't want to bring it back up again in fear that I might strike again.

Additionally, the same board designed for those attacks was no longer available to the public at least (or required a special account to access nowadays). So, I think I knocked the dragon into a sort of state of suspension, or into becoming a myth again. It still exists, but now the public no longer has the kind of access to it it once had; vindicating others, like me, that have suffered from the information still living within their archives. Most of it, now, is harder to reach via Google and similar/easier means, thanks to the policy adjustments; though fragments of data alluding to the archives still exist one way or another, unfortunately. The beast isn't dead, but it's definitely in shock and wounded.

I love it when a plan works better than expected.

For personal security reasons, as well as the site itself (in return for helping me get thicker skin), I will not name names who or what they were. Plus, I still want time to erode the rest of the info away. Where the NSA is concerned, they'll be a different matter if/when it comes down to dealing with them. Can I repeat history?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:36:49 pm by Itnetlolor »

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2012, 02:56:32 pm »

...I find it immensely disturbing that there is at least one forum dedicated specifically to bullying people into suicide.
くコ:彡

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2012, 03:18:23 pm »

Of your entire badly spelt post, this part I find sticks out most. This is... incredibly stupid? It's not even stupidity of a particular political creed, it's just plain stupidity. Moot isn't 'allowing theese (sic) things to happen'- there are rules to specifically prevent the posting of personal information on all boards of 4chan, as well as moderators to enforce these rules. If the owner of the site is making a recognisable attempt to police its contents, the removal of the site as well as taking legal action against the owner because people posted mean things seems a poorly thought out solution.

How come when some asshole disagrees with someone, they insult their spelling instead?

This isnt a spelling competition, its a discussion about a growing issue on the internet. Not everyone wants to bog down their browser with a spell checker addon.

You'll note that my main point wasn't about your spelling. Feel free to call me an asshole, though! It is important to spell properly, especially in environments such as forums where you're encouraged to take a while to type your posts. It helps with readability as well as giving both the impression that you care about what you're typing, and that you're literate (useful when you want to show people your opinions have some amount of value).

You must understand that i come from a country where uncensored swearing, and full frontal, uncensored nudity, are everyday things on TV, just as much as swearing and dysphemisms are part of everyday, noninsulting language. With asshole, i meant someone. Sorry.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2012, 03:30:50 pm »

...I find it immensely disturbing that there is at least one forum dedicated specifically to bullying people into suicide.
It's more of a sub-forum inside a greater forum; but it doesn't make it any less disturbing.

Driving them into suicide is more a bonus goal rather than a main goal (I've explored that hellhole for a bit to see what it was about, to study a potential threat). On a nobler side (primary goal), yes, it's to toughen some "beta" people up by putting them through hell to see how well they can stand it (usually people they don't like, but my case was special; I had a strange quality that made me irresistable to the darkest of people), and usually, these were done in secret to hide their origins. They usually had a goal to be funny and let the victim in on the attack eventually in order to loosen them up, and not be so serious about life or the internet by the end. However, at the same time, unfortunately, there are those who take it in the wrong context, and try to out-monster each other, instead of criticizing, and giving hell to those with less common sense than necessary to survive everyday life; and taking advantage of their hidden nature to abusive levels. They were evil, but their guidelines, and the reactions of the senior staff showed that even they had standards (they were much easier to forgive); but the newbies obviously didn't care one bit, and attacked anyway (making them difficult to forgive). Regarding most of the new kids, and this sub-forum being their main incentive, there is indeed evil in the world, and it doesn't care who you are, what religion you follow, or anything. They're real life Jokers.

EDIT:
I was just using the term "beta" as reference to how they would see someone lesser than their expectations. Added quotations to emphasize their (sometimes) biased judgement calls. They were rather elitist in nature.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:19:09 pm by Itnetlolor »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »

It's kind of hard not to see someone as part of the problem who uses phrases like "beta people" to begin with, as if people are packs of ill-tempered dogs and the loudest, most vicious ones rightly have control.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »

Seriously. Pack carnivore social dynamics do not apply to human society or sociology.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 05:22:25 pm »

*snip*
It's still quite silly, but I can't almost see an inkling of sense in it. It is sorta' irresponsible to design or maintain a system you can't control. If it gets beyond one's ability to control (grows too large, moves too fast, etc.), then maybe one should shut down, abdicate, or find a way to redesign the system so it's manageable?
By this definition... youtube would go down in flames.
Either youtube or the giant reactive mess copyright currently is would.

Personally, while both are good, the former is good because of what you can find on there (though its forced frontpage upgrading is crap, the older designs were far better, though other updates not related to the frontpage have been well done), and the latter is good as an idea and as it originally was (though the utterly useless mess it is right now makes it terrible for everyone that didn't help mess it up in the first place).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 05:33:10 pm »

*has not read the whole thread. Just posting opinion*

The way I figure, it's not really the internet itself causing the problems. However, with the internet comes relative anonymity, meaning it's much harder to pin down and punish the bad people, which also means that more of them will come out of the woodwork. The other problem is peer pressure. It's not just from the few people around you in your daily life anymore, it's from potentially billions of people around the world.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 06:08:50 pm »

People use hotmail for something besides spam and 'Get free [digital currency]!' offers (which then spam that email anyway)?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 06:19:01 pm »

... people give their actual information to those places? I don't think I've given factual personal information to something online... uh, ever. I've used other folks' actual information before (with permission, mind), occasionally gave factual information to things that would go on the Internet (college), and I'll give vague stuff out (north west Florida, etc... probably, anyway. Could be lying!) but never to anything online and never specific.

My first lesson about internet use, when I was like seven or eight: Never use your real name or address. Ever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2012, 06:21:36 pm »

My first lesson about internet use, when I was like seven or eight: Never use your real name or address. Ever.
ayup. my most popular alias is 'bob bobbington'
'David Davidson.'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7