Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Mixed emotions about the internet  (Read 12191 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed emotions about the internet
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »

On mobile, can't quote.

Assholery is sort of the draw, yeah. I mean, cool things come of it and it can be more seen as an unfortunate likelyhood that people will be jerks, but you simply cannot expect people to be decent and civil in a thread.

I would prefer a troll-less, harassment-less and pain-less internet, and if there were a magic button I could press to make it so, I would. But the OP's idea of government regulation being said button is far from magic. Anonymity and freedom of speech, even when abused on /b/, should be 'sacred', so to speak.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 12:13:40 pm »

My propositions/whatever(wich i hate, myself, too, dont call me a stupid rightie/leftie, since i am politically uncoloured):

Take legal action against Moot for allowing theese things to happen and have his site shut down. This is a very agressive way of solving a problem, kind of like trying to solve that famous knot problem, by hacking it over with a wood ax.

Of your entire badly spelt post, this part I find sticks out most. This is... incredibly stupid? It's not even stupidity of a particular political creed, it's just plain stupidity. Moot isn't 'allowing theese (sic) things to happen'- there are rules to specifically prevent the posting of personal information on all boards of 4chan, as well as moderators to enforce these rules. If the owner of the site is making a recognisable attempt to police its contents, the removal of the site as well as taking legal action against the owner because people posted mean things seems a poorly thought out solution.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 12:20:54 pm »

Almost makes me see room for the thought of a "don't call up what you can't put down" movement type thing... if you can't effectively moderate a site, then why should control be allowed to remain with you? Which might be sorta' what the OP was thinking with that. A recognizable attempt that's ineffective is only slightly better than no attempt at all, perhaps.

It's still quite silly, but I can't almost see an inkling of sense in it. It is sorta' irresponsible to design or maintain a system you can't control. If it gets beyond one's ability to control (grows too large, moves too fast, etc.), then maybe one should shut down, abdicate, or find a way to redesign the system so it's manageable?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 12:31:50 pm »

Just backtrace it and report them to the cyberpolice
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 12:34:58 pm »

My propositions/whatever(wich i hate, myself, too, dont call me a stupid rightie/leftie, since i am politically uncoloured):

Take legal action against Moot for allowing theese things to happen and have his site shut down. This is a very agressive way of solving a problem, kind of like trying to solve that famous knot problem, by hacking it over with a wood ax.

Of your entire badly spelt post, this part I find sticks out most. This is... incredibly stupid? It's not even stupidity of a particular political creed, it's just plain stupidity. Moot isn't 'allowing theese (sic) things to happen'- there are rules to specifically prevent the posting of personal information on all boards of 4chan, as well as moderators to enforce these rules. If the owner of the site is making a recognisable attempt to police its contents, the removal of the site as well as taking legal action against the owner because people posted mean things seems a poorly thought out solution.

How come when some asshole disagrees with someone, they insult their spelling instead?

This isnt a spelling competition, its a discussion about a growing issue on the internet. Not everyone wants to bog down their browser with a spell checker addon.

Almost makes me see room for the thought of a "don't call up what you can't put down" movement type thing... if you can't effectively moderate a site, then why should control be allowed to remain with you? Which might be sorta' what the OP was thinking with that. A recognizable attempt that's ineffective is only slightly better than no attempt at all, perhaps.

It's still quite silly, but I can't almost see an inkling of sense in it. It is sorta' irresponsible to design or maintain a system you can't control. If it gets beyond one's ability to control (grows too large, moves too fast, etc.), then maybe one should shut down, abdicate, or find a way to redesign the system so it's manageable?

This is the man.

Im not against free speech, i fucking love it.
But like a nice redhead chick, it be a bitch sometimes.(And it might end up attempting to stab someone down and get thrown to an institution and raped.)

Just backtrace it and report them to the cyberpolice

CONSEQUENCES STAYED THE SAME! (And he got arrested for domestic violence.. and then he had a heart attack.)

You guys should remember that im on your side. I dont want overregulation, but neither i want more shit to stain this already quite shit-stained world. And apparently thats impossible, and that is why i have mixed feelings.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 12:36:39 pm »

A little something one of my design teachers have taught a class I was in, and is really good to live by; although it was about critiques in the class, it can still apply to real life: "The critiques will be nothing but harsh truths; you'll either be leaving this class with thicker skin, or in need of a therapist.". In regards to the people attacked, they need thicker skin, and to know more about taking responsibility for their actions in order to prevent this from happening, and also to remember that bullies are by far, the biggest cowards to ever exist, and that they can be defeated by using their own pride against them. I know, for I have been abused by them my entire life, and to tell the truth, I'm sick and tired of it, but seeing as justice will never be served properly, and karma is being lazy, I decided to use my life as a weapon against them, and let them know that what's worse than them is a victim that knows how they work on all levels, and uses their methods against them; but with minimal efforts, making them fall into their own traps and so on.

I know what goes through the minds of these victims, and I agree, they need to be less stupid, and need thicker skin. There was an incident a couple years ago that basically made good use of probably one of my worst experiences ever.

Spoiler: Bit of a story here (click to show/hide)

In any form of bullying, attack the bully's ego. It's their weak point. Bully the bully, and let them feel the pain they deliver. Don't sugercoat it either. The only way they can learn what they do is wrong is to hit them with their own attacks. Force them to make a mistake, and take advantage of it. Face a bully by thinking like them. Just make sure to avoid being "he who fights monsters". Grow thicker skin, and crush them with it. It's the only way to be sure. Make a bully think they have control over a situation, whereas in truth, they lost it long ago. Lead the cattle to their own slaughter by their own hand, and make the bully break into tears that they fell victim to their victim. They'll be forced by their own shame to either humble themselves, or seek therapy; or realizing they have nothing else in life to live for besides being a predictable asshole, end themselves, ironically enough; hopefully in mind or spirit (going insane), rather than in body (killing themselves).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:04:11 pm by Itnetlolor »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 01:20:07 pm »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 01:21:57 pm »

+1

With the exception that some bullies are stupidly brave, good advice. Reminds me why i need a background in hacking one of these days.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »

Itnetlolor is good troll 10/10

Then maybe one should shut down, abdicate, or find a way to redesign the system so it's manageable?
1. /b/ is not 4chan
2. /b/ is being redesigned
3. /b/ is not family/work safe

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »

What is /b/?
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 01:32:58 pm »

What is /b/?
The "random" board of 4chan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 01:33:55 pm »

What is /b/?
The "random" board of 4chan.
Essentially everything everyone on 4chan don't want on their boards, is there.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 01:36:39 pm »

Whats 4chan? Seriously, i feel like i missed most of internet even though im on internet for quite long.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »

Sorry to quote this but there is no better comment
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7