Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very minor modding - high boots  (Read 2572 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very minor modding - high boots
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:59 pm »

A minor annoyance that's grown to really bug me is the fact that some civs apparently don't know how to extend a metal boot up over the shin and calf, which seems silly to me.  I haven't done any modding at all so I'm curious if it's possible to make it so that high boots are always available, and if so how would I go about doing it?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Very minor modding - high boots
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 10:24:35 pm »

To make high boots always available change [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:COMMON] in the entity in entity_default.txt to [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:FORCED], or add it if it isn't there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 01:30:03 am »

Alternatively, modify high boots in item_shoes.txt such that they have [ARMORLEVEL:2] instead of 1 (or do that to low boots and not high; ARMORLEVEL is almost entirely functionless now, affecting only availability to civs, so both ways work the same).

Both i2amroy's suggestion and mine will require a world regen, as what items a civ can use is determined when they are spawned at the beginning of world gen.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:13:29 pm »

Thank you both.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:50:41 pm »

To make high boots always available change [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:COMMON] in the entity in entity_default.txt to [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:FORCED], or add it if it isn't there.
Usually, it's UNCOMMON if civs don't have it. I could be wrong, though.

Alternatively, modify high boots in item_shoes.txt such that they have [ARMORLEVEL:2] instead of 1 (or do that to low boots and not high; ARMORLEVEL is almost entirely functionless now, affecting only availability to civs, so both ways work the same).
Doesn't ARMORLEVEL actually affect where in layering armor goes?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 04:58:56 pm »

Doesn't ARMORLEVEL actually affect where in layering armor goes?
[/quote]
IIRC it does, as well as effecting whether is counts as "clothing" [ARMORLEVEL:0], or "armor" [ARMORLEVEL:1] or 2.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 05:02:11 pm »

No, layering is the LAYER tag.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:26:05 pm »

Ah...
Wait, what does ARMORLEVEL do then?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:29 pm »

Usually, it's UNCOMMON if civs don't have it. I could be wrong, though.

So wait, does this mean I need to change something other than what i2amroy mentioned?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »

It's the same tag, just a different argument. In my experience, you can typically expect a civ to have something that's COMMON, but to be on the safe side you can make it FORCED instead.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 11:35:30 pm »

Wow, this helped ME alot :P and I wasn't even in this thread lol.
Now to go force steel armor on my Giant Desert Scorpion people....:D
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:17:00 am »

So wait, does this mean I need to change something other than what i2amroy mentioned?
No, what i2amroy suggested will work perfectly.

Ah...
Wait, what does ARMORLEVEL do then?
It's the same tag, just a different argument. In my experience, you can typically expect a civ to have something that's COMMON, but to be on the safe side you can make it FORCED instead.
ARMORLEVEL, as I said, has few effects. In 40d and before, it determined which of the 3 armor sets (leather, chain, and plate) an armor piece was treated as part of and thus whether a dwarf set to use a particular set would put it on. With 31.01, the armor and uniform system was totally overhauled and now the concept of armor sets no longer exists.

The only thing it now does is interact with the entity-level armor assignment tokens. At the COMMON rarity level, a civilization generated off of an entity will have at least one form of covering for each body part for each ARMORLEVEL. Low and high boots are both ARMORLEVEL:1, they both cover the feet, and they both are at the COMMON rarity level for the dwarf entity. As such, all dwarf civilizations will always have at least one of low boots and high boots, with the possibility for both. As shoes are ARMORLEVEL:0 (actually unassigned, but defaults to that), they don't interfere with nor are interfered with by boots.

At the FORCED rarity level, a civilization generated will always have that particular armor piece; if you changed nothing but giving high boots FORCED rarity for the MOUNTAIN entity, you'd always get high boots, but would only sometimes get low boots. If all armor pieces for a body part at a given ARMORLEVEL the UNCOMMON and RARE rarity levels, I believe that it's no longer certain that you'll get one for each body part. I think that the LAYER token might affect this interaction as well, but I don't know that for certain (I don't recall if I've ever seen a civ that had only one of shoes and socks available, which would clinch it).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »

ARMORLEVEL:0 also makes it so that civilian migrants are likely to be wearing the item when they arrive.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 01:19:35 pm »

ARMORLEVEL:0 also makes it so that civilian migrants are likely to be wearing the item when they arrive.
And allows for dwarves to claim them as new clothing. An armorlevel of 0 means that the armor counts as "clothing" for all intents and purposes.