Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Hopestarved:succession game  (Read 16095 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Hopestarved:succession game
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2012, 08:57:14 pm »

I gave the name FlickerFly to the first female dwarf that caught my eye, the creator of Siegewaning the Brew of Light, a maple crown with spikes of feather wood and wolverine bone and bands of maple. Presumably, when you wear it it makes you slowly feel so intoxicated that you can ignore even a siege raging around you. Maybe the spikes are intravenous booze dispensers. Who knows. But anyways...

The idlers are down from 10 (20%!) to zero. Unless you count the moody dwarf or the dwarf doing an individual combat drill, who is for some reason being counted as an idler. I also organize an expedition to explore the caverns. Most of them get there swiftly, including an axedwarf carrying a huge marble boulder, but a macedwarf gets left behind due to drinking from the brook. WHY IS NO BOOZE BREWED?!?
...AND WHY IS IT AUTUMN?
AND WHILE I'M COMPLAINING IN ALL-CAPS, WHO DESIGNED THIS DISPLAY? I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT! IN MY DAY, ASCII WAS ALL YOU NEEDED!

Ahem. Soon I discover a clearing that would be pretty good for my statue.

Just take out one or two of the pillars and we're good! Oh, and the hunters keep complaining they can't path to any hunted stuff.
The miners, naturally, start removing the pillars before improving access to the site. Dwarves...On the bright side, I put the access fairly close to the outside of a pillar, so it gets started on soon...Oh, and we found a bunch of gems and more tetrahedrite. Also, we have wood! Maybe the mechanics will stop complaining about lack of cages.

The hunting path spam is bugging me, so I told the hunters to pack up their bows and find other work. On an unrelated note, the forges should be fired up once the charcoal is made.
On the 21st of Sandstone, the brewing orders were finished. We have 38 units of drink from 10 orders, so clearly our attempts at getting a lot of alcohol were impeded by dwarves who wanted to drink the alcohol...15 more Brew Drink jobs queued, and the manager notified to go manage...he's on break, go figure. I'll just go do some ordering myself in the workshop thingies...
Why is there a still aboveground with no bridge to protect it? Fixing that now.

A peasant abandoned a stone wheelbarrow to be scared by a draltha. About time wildlife showed up in the caverns. Oh, look, the draltha's keeping the dwarf from sleping in the caverns. I must congratulate it.
The military has nothing better to do, so I send them to explore a lake I saw. Then I noticed a mason who evaded my attempts to turn off hunting engaging the draltha in melee for no discernible reason, so I told them to help. The hunter finishes it off without help, impressive seeing as dralthas are about half a ton under rhino-sized and twice the size of a water buffalo...Anyhoo, the militia explores the lake. Sadly, it's just a giant pool; no edge connections. As I order the militia to finish off a giant bat that a hunter has reduced to falling out of the under-sky, some migrants arrived at the highest point of the map. I imagine that they were looking around on that mountain for hours, until they realized the fortress was in an adjacent valley...oh how they must have laughed. And laughed. And laughed.
Anyways, some notable migrants included the parents of one of the militiamembers (who were also the sister of another dwarf here and the nephew to a third and cousin to three), other neat relationships, and a couple who was procedurally generated. All in all, 10 migrants bring us up to 59 dwarves and we have 31 animals, including a pair of war dogs, so there are 90 members of The Mechanisms of Enjoyment, not counting the troglodyte band that showed up once the draltha bought the farm. On the bright side, we have a new 8-dwarf suicide squad.

While the migrants were arriving I engraved a masterwork image of emeralrd-cut gems.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »

Very nice update!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2012, 09:58:38 pm »

Thanks.

Right as Timber dawned, the moody dwarf went berzerk. No unwalling for you...EVER. Let that workshop be your tomb.

An engraver gave birth to a lovely, long-bearded, giant-axe-blade-loving, toad-hating boy. This interrupts her task of making marble blocks. Both of his parents are engravers; other family members present include two cousins (a gem cutter and a planter), the paternal grandparents (a peasant and a trapper), and two aunts, both fishery workers, one of whom leads the new squad of recruits and the other of whom just got added. The captain is the older sister. I wish the first child of the fortress well.

Where's our tetrahedrite? We struck it a dozen times...
There were a couple of cave-ins. One did most certainly not lead to the death of an unnamed miner. However, a gem cutter decided that Sockpuppet's bruises necessitated hospitalization, despite the fact that they healed before he was hauled to bed. Socky promptly marched back to the caverns, mined a single tile, and went to get some food.
I set up some marble flooring to be put down over part of the cavern area where the statue will go and call it a night for Hopestarved.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2012, 05:01:47 am »

I imagine that they were looking around on that mountain for hours, until they realized the fortress was in an adjacent valley...oh how they must have laughed. And laughed. And laughed.
Hahahaha I got a giggle out of this!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2012, 06:26:29 am »

Why, the stupidity or the small Portal reference?
Sig

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2012, 11:38:49 am »

Why, the stupidity or the small Portal reference?
Didn't know it was a reference to portal :P Haha. Still, I enjoyed reading the post

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 10:41:05 pm »

Excellent update! Looks like things are in good order.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2012, 12:49:00 am »

Nice work so far, keep up the fort and try not to collapse the mountain on your heads :P It's much easier to do then you'd think. It seems like the random half finished projects and plans are starting to have an effect on the fortress which is definatly a good sign... or a bad one it could go either way.

This is actually going way better then expected, I never thought I'd get more then maybe 2 other people involved when I started this.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, 06:31:53 am »

Thanks. I'll see what I can do about not leaving a half-finished project.
Sig

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in a succession game?
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2012, 03:46:57 pm »

GOOD LUCK! I'll be watching!

Okay, I lied. Or forgot. Not sure.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 06:15:41 pm »

Erm, there's errors in my save. Yay...Restarting, I guess.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »

Okay, my backup also has some kind of error. Yippee?
Sig

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 07:14:36 pm »

Assuming Wyrm figures out the problem with the save file, I'd like a turn and a dwarf to wear my mask. No nickname, just the profession "the masked dwarf."
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2012, 07:19:24 pm »

The problem is, I need to redownload.
To make things go faster, I'm going to try being more hands-off than usual.
Sig

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2012, 05:08:55 pm »

So... getting anywhere with the update?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17