Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: LCS 4.06.5 Download (Bank Heists, Mar 2013)  (Read 92961 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS 4.06.3 Download (Bank Heists, Sept 2012)
« Reply #285 on: November 17, 2012, 01:58:28 am »

Nah, that's a huge effort. As long as the codebase is workable without a major refactoring, things are just as fine as they are. And frankly, Mr Fox needs to start making money somehow!

Even if he did, he'd have to limit himself to an ancient version of Adobe's AIR (2.6 and lower) if he wants to maintain Linux compatibility (Adobe no longer releases AIR for Linux). :(

Any serious rewrite of the game from me would be monetized in some way; I didn't start on this project without having thought about its implications.

As for Linux support, AIR 2.6 isn't so ancient that it's a great inconvenience to support. I think I can switch a single variable in my development environment to build for 2.6. AIR 2.6 was released in early 2011. LCS is built on a library that hasn't been updated since 2008. "Ancient" here doesn't mean old and broken, it just means there's new and better. That's something anyone making or playing ASCII games should be very familiar with.

Even in the worst case, it's easy and common to port games between AIR and Flash. Flash 11.2 is stable and will be getting security updates for years, and Adobe continues to support new versions of Flash for Linux through Chrome.

Anyway, let's get off the topic of LCS re-implementations. No-one wants to do it, and there's no reason to do it.

I want to do it, and re-implementing the game has a huge benefit in that this would allow support for mobile devices. Early this year, I built a framework that simulated the console presentation in AS3, adding mouse support so you can click or tap menu options like links, instead of having to do hotkeys. I am actually quite interested in making LCS playable on all platforms without difficulty, able to be ported to mobile devices, and with a rich and robust foundation for any mouse/audio/graphics support it may want.

That doesn't mean I'll necessarily take the time to finish this sort of rewrite -- I'm not currently doing it, and the amount of work involved makes it less likely that I can just do it as a lark. I don't want to encourage people to expect this to happen. But I also don't want to discourage discussion of the idea, and I certainly don't want someone else to speak for me and claim nobody is interested in doing it. I would consider it moderately improbable, but a lot of improbable things have happened over the course of this game's development.

sGdYy409L

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 18, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »

I want to do it, and re-implementing the game has a huge benefit in that this would allow support for mobile devices. Early this year, I built a framework that simulated the console presentation in AS3, adding mouse support so you can click or tap menu options like links, instead of having to do hotkeys. I am actually quite interested in making LCS playable on all platforms without difficulty, able to be ported to mobile devices, and with a rich and robust foundation for any mouse/audio/graphics support it may want.

That doesn't mean I'll necessarily take the time to finish this sort of rewrite -- I'm not currently doing it, and the amount of work involved makes it less likely that I can just do it as a lark. I don't want to encourage people to expect this to happen. But I also don't want to discourage discussion of the idea, and I certainly don't want someone else to speak for me and claim nobody is interested in doing it. I would consider it moderately improbable, but a lot of improbable things have happened over the course of this game's development.

I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but have you looked at the angband for android project?
http://code.google.com/p/angdroid/
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1981
I haven't tried it out personally, and probably the angband code is cleaner than the LCS code, but I think they managed to port it without changing the internal logic (and menu structure).

daaad123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 19, 2012, 04:11:07 am »

I don't know if its been suggested before, and I don't want to clutter up the boards with a new thread, but how about business fronts bringing in an income, based on how many liberals you assign to work at it. If that sounds a bit overpowered, then what about the more people working at it, the likelier to attract police attention it is (after all, its only a business front).

Then again, working at the business may seem very conservative, but it might be the liberal ends justify the conservative means.

Yannanth

« Reply #288 on: November 19, 2012, 07:42:45 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:55:09 pm by Yannanth »

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »

I don't know if its been suggested before, and I don't want to clutter up the boards with a new thread, but how about business fronts bringing in an income, based on how many liberals you assign to work at it. If that sounds a bit overpowered, then what about the more people working at it, the likelier to attract police attention it is (after all, its only a business front).

Then again, working at the business may seem very conservative, but it might be the liberal ends justify the conservative means.

I always thought the business fronts should be things like soup kitchens and animal shelters, good Liberal places. There's already plenty of ways to make money.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 19, 2012, 06:07:44 pm »

Concur, and push the same way: a Charity Front would let the LCS Liberally Spend Funds that they had previously Taxed to improve the citizens' welfare.  Soup kitchens, child care*, clothing distribution, possibly an even free-r Free Clinic, things like that that Liberals could do to improve the community.

*IIRC the Black Panthers' "free breakfast for children" program was extremely popular IRL.

This would also help me get rid of this $900K+now over $1,000,000 I've piled up, without paying taxes on any of it** and haven't much idea of anything to do with.  I'd much rather distribute half a mil to the Homeless Shelter than buy a Sportscar for every active member of the LCS***--besides, gas-guzzling sportscars are bad for the environment and they would make us look like CEOs to boot!

**The 5th Amendment lets one not disclose the source of one's income on one's 1040.  Illegal income is extremely taxable!

***Roughly 2.5 pages in the Review Liberals screen.

[edited to update my dire financial straits as of the first presidential election--I could have sponsored a PAC!  Help!--KA101]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:52:58 am by KA101 »

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 24, 2012, 12:05:17 am »

Where and how do you get the latest non-trunk release? I'd like to actually see the stats and how they play into outcomes instead of making assumptions as to what does how much of what.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Erquint

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Native bypasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 29, 2012, 07:44:28 pm »

Hello there. I'm kinda new to liberal modding community and have little familiarity with SVN, though used it as an end-user number of times.
So I'm making a tiny message importancy system mod.
Spoiler: "Todo list:" (click to show/hide)

Question is: Can I commit my changes through SVN or is there a better/another way of liberally doing so?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:19:00 pm by Erquint »

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2012, 09:09:08 pm »

- Bonus: Car stealing automatic retrying next day functionality w/o having to define the job and the type of car to steal if "X - Call it a day" is chosen.

Someone tell this man what to do, I need this.

Erquint

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Native bypasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2012, 06:20:45 pm »

- Bonus: Car stealing automatic retrying next day functionality w/o having to define the job and the type of car to steal if "X - Call it a day" is chosen.

Someone tell this man what to do, I need this.

Here's the first liberal build. You can check the completed features in my previous message's spoiler.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jts8zrgzfigzp6o
Though my VC++X2010 built the file with a size of 9 Mb ater the last change of only 1 number in the source code for some reason.
Doesn't seem to break anything though. Going to try and decrease the filesize back to normal in the next releases.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:58:11 pm by Erquint »

Yannanth

« Reply #295 on: December 01, 2012, 09:53:14 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:54:51 pm by Yannanth »

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nothing can stop the Ninja Hippie
« Reply #296 on: December 02, 2012, 03:17:32 am »

Today I met a mutant with higher than normal Agility, Intelligence and Heart. I groomed her as an infiltrator. After a few juice-milestones I noticed that her Heart had reached 22. I decided to see how she'd fare against the bane of infiltrators everywhere, the guard dog. Thus began the tale of The Ninja Hippie.

Guard dogs do not work against The Ninja Hippie, because The Ninja Hippie can convert any number of them to liberalism at once. Their handlers do not notice anything wrong because The Ninja Hippie can do this while melding with the shadows so none are the wiser.

The defences of the CEO's palace, Army Base and even the Ministry of Love are as nothing before The Ninja Hippie, and they soon find that anything not nailed down and on fire has vanished without a trace.

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 03, 2012, 03:38:53 am »

Do saves get deleted after you lose? Or move to the next save?

LCS deletes your save when you lose, yeah. And it overwrites the old save whenever it saves again.

It's very permadeathy.
Yeah, but Id like a way for you to manual save in game, and choose where you want to load the game when opening, I think being able to save and load just for learning purposes would be amazing (I haven't played in forever so I need to relearn a little), and while its unrelated, I think something else that would be cool is adding an in game cheat mode, where you can just do whatever ever you want, like spawn items, spawn creatures, revive liberals, insta-kill conservatives, both of these would be GREAT for learning the game.

Defeat is a better instructor than victory, provided you live long enough to learn from your mistakes. That being said, if you want to circumvent the system, just create backup copies of the LCS save file. For my two recorded playthroughs of the game, I made backups on the off-chance I hit a fatal error and the game crashed. You'll certainly forfeit all bragging rights by doing so, but... hey, it's your time, and if that's what makes your playing experience more fun, then do it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2012, 03:25:18 am »

Question is: Can I commit my changes through SVN or is there a better/another way of liberally doing so?
You can't. You need commit access, which is given by the LCS Subversion baron, Jonathan Fox.

Mwahaha! The power is mine. You'll never get commit access from me!

Actually, just message me with a Sourceforge username so I can add you to the project. Once I add you to the project, you can do an SVN Commit action and put in your Sourceforge login information when prompted for credentials. Then boom, you're done; your changes make it into the next "official" release.

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2012, 11:08:59 pm »

*Codedives*

*Sees heat is now 10 times what it used to be*

*Eyepop*

Whaaaaat?!?

Fox, my man, are you serious?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36