Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36

Author Topic: LCS 4.06.5 Download (Bank Heists, Mar 2013)  (Read 92968 times)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.06.3 Download (Bank Heists, Sept 2012)
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2012, 05:37:24 pm »

Little-known fact about the Windows version (at least): it saves when hitting the X or the W from the main screen.  In the unlikely event the process were--somehow--to terminate before doing that again, the game reloads from right before one hit that key.

And after that pointless trivia, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

flapjack3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2012, 11:53:07 am »

I Can recruit prisoners without breaking the law 8)

Avails Mew

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 03, 2012, 02:40:28 pm »

Hey guys, I am running into a serious issue by compiling with Visual C++ 2010. Whenever I compile and debug it gives me the same error, "Unable to start program 'C:\Evan\Desktop\New Folder (2)\workspaces\.\Debug\game.exe' The system cannot find the file specified." Could someone please help me out with this?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 03, 2012, 10:34:50 pm »

I Can recruit prisoners without breaking the law 8)

I actually wonder if that is against the law in real life... Not breaking them out of jail mind you.

In Canada we have something called "Freedom of association" but it has an implied limit of not applying to illegal associations.

What crime is it to recruit people for a crime squad?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 04, 2012, 09:31:42 am »

Well, if you recruit them in prison, and they later show up at your safehouse, I'd say that a law was probably broken at some point.

flapjack3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2012, 02:46:07 pm »

Well, if you recruit them in prison, and they later show up at your safehouse, I'd say that a law was probably broken at some point.
No,I acutely recruited them by talking to them.They came to my safehouse and I got them after about 3 to 5 days.I looked at there stats and they didn't have any felonyes on them.

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 08, 2012, 05:44:23 am »

No,I acutely recruited them by talking to them.They came to my safehouse and I got them after about 3 to 5 days.I looked at there stats and they didn't have any felonyes on them.

Yup. One can free prisoners just by persuading them.

I guess there should be an extra rule for persuading prisoners -- as well as sweatshop workers -- so that persuading them will only result in the same thing as freeing them by pressing R.

KoboldSmasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 10, 2012, 05:13:46 am »

Apparently, if you surrender to police in escape or fight mode, your safehouse doesnt get dismantled, this only happened once so im not sure if its reproducible.

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 13, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »

The talk of compiling on other OSes and Johnathan S Fox working on actual money projects got me thinking; LCS on iPhone/Android. I would play the hell out of that.

Obviously it's a bit more work than just compiling with a modified makefile, but JSF, after you're done your current project, give it some thought ;P. Could probably even make money off it with some nice artwork to get people's attention!

Anyway, on an unrelated note, it is SO WEIRD that I was thinking the other day how robbing banks seemed like a glaring omission from the game (considering that the bank robbery with Patty Hearst is one of the things the SLA is most famous for), then today I randomly decide to see if any updates have been made for LCS and there's bank heists. I haven't even been here in months (which must be obviously considering that I didn't know there were any updates until now).
LCS Graphical Remake:

https://the-cheshire-cat.itch.io/lcs
Current progress: ~100%

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #279 on: November 14, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »

The talk of compiling on other OSes and Johnathan S Fox working on actual money projects got me thinking; LCS on iPhone/Android. I would play the hell out of that.

Obviously it's a bit more work than just compiling with a modified makefile, but JSF, after you're done your current project, give it some thought ;P. Could probably even make money off it with some nice artwork to get people's attention!

It's something I've considered before. I've also looked at making a Flash or AIR port of the game, which would make it so the game would be desktop-OS-independent, and issues like compiling separately for Linux and Mac would be irrelevant, since they'd all work off the same compiled file. AIR applications can also be more easily ported to iPhone and Android. I have an engine proof of how it would work, complete with support for a mouse/touch interface.

This does require recoding the game entirely, however, so it's a non-trivial effort.

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 14, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »

Yeah, I mean obviously I realize it's a pretty serious undertaking (I've looked at the game source. It's a little bit less impenetrable than NetHack, but still a lot to do over from scratch), but there are a few other advantages that come with redoing the game engine. Someone mentioned logging messages earlier and how it would be difficult to implement at this stage in the game's design - but that kind of thing is trivially easy to do if you build it into your engine from the beginning. Likewise there's a bunch of interface stuff that would be lovely to have redesigned but that would be such a pain in the ass to do with the current source as to not be worth the trouble. Plus it just seems like it would make a good portable game - it's easy to play in quick bites like a short subway ride, but equally good for longer stretches of time.

...That does remind me of something I meant to suggest that would probably be a lot easier to implement, though. Can you have it set up so that if you have a squad Go Forth, they remember what they were assigned to do before then, and automatically pick it up again the next day (or the next time they're available if you take them out again)? It's a pain to have to go back into the Activate screen every time I send a squad out to do something, even if it's just sending them out to buy clothes/tools. There are naturally some situations where you might not want them to resume what they were doing before (having someone wanted for murder going out and protesting is not a good idea), but it's simple enough to quickly clear someone's tasks, and it's more often that you'd want them to keep doing their original task than you'd want to clear it, anyway, so that should be the default.

Actually maybe I should just make a separate "Interface ideas" thread, since typing this up has reminded me of a few other things that would be handy and wouldn't be much work to implement.
LCS Graphical Remake:

Yannanth

« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2012, 09:23:25 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:56:19 pm by Yannanth »

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2012, 10:16:58 am »

This is probably a better idea. Maybe have it so that holding ctrl or shift or something is what toggles it, so you don't have to add any more buttons to the interface. You just assign a task like normal, except hold down shift at the last stage, and it marks it with the asterisk which indicates that they will resume that task after acting with a squad. You could probably disable it on tasks where it wouldn't make any sense, anyway, like stealing cars.

Also man, no AIR on Linux, no Flash on iOS, what is Adobe's deal? Just pick a frigging web platform and stick with it. I suppose you could always try using HTML5, but I have no idea how easy it is to actually develop a complex game with it, let alone how well it would run.
LCS Graphical Remake:

Yannanth

« Reply #283 on: November 15, 2012, 12:43:57 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:55:42 pm by Yannanth »

Yannanth

« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:55:16 pm by Yannanth »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36