Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36

Author Topic: LCS 4.06.5 Download (Bank Heists, Mar 2013)  (Read 92878 times)

Yannanth

« Reply #255 on: October 28, 2012, 06:19:02 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:59:49 pm by Yannanth »

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.06.3 Download (Bank Heists, Sept 2012)
« Reply #256 on: October 28, 2012, 09:23:37 pm »

Look guys, does anyone here have a pre-compiled linux version? I'd need it.
snip
Got to admit, I also needed to
sudo apt-get upgrade libncurses5
sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

EDIT : Alright! It does not work on mac!

Any ideas to get it working? (I mean the 4.06.3, not 4.04!)
Err, what? Mac OS X? I thought you wanted Ubuntu instructions?

Works perfectly here, by the way.

Note to Jonathan:
Oh yeah, isn't it time to update the year? It's still at 2009. Also, there was no election in 2009 and the Arch-Conservative president was meant to have just been elected, says the first screen. It should be changed to either 2008 or 2012, IMO.

The president is elected in 2008, but isn't actually sworn in as president until February of the next year. In this case, that would be 2009.

I'm not American, though. I could easily be wrong. Feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #257 on: October 28, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »

Why do all game developers dislike Linux? :'(

Because I don't use Linux. While I agree that all things you list are things that really should be done, they're things that really must be done by someone who knows and uses Linux. I don't know what packages you need, I can't provide a precompiled binary, and while I can probably package the source code in an archive pleasing to Linux users, I can't test them for completeness.

I do care about and want to support Linux, but I'm not a Linux user myself, and I'm not properly equipped to support the platform in a user-friendly way.

EDIT : Alright! It does not work on mac!

Any ideas to get it working? (I mean the 4.06.3, not 4.04!)
Err, what? Mac OS X? I thought you wanted Ubuntu instructions?

Works perfectly here, by the way.

The compile-and-install instructions should be the same for OS X and Linux, unless there are niggling differences in the details; I've successfully built a Mac version of the game before using the same process.

For EdwardRech, what problems are you having?

Note to Jonathan:
Oh yeah, isn't it time to update the year? It's still at 2009. Also, there was no election in 2009 and the Arch-Conservative president was meant to have just been elected, says the first screen. It should be changed to either 2008 or 2012, IMO.

The president is elected in 2008, but isn't actually sworn in as president until February of the next year. In this case, that would be 2009.

I'm not American, though. I could easily be wrong. Feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, starting in early 2009 is actually perfectly timed for a new President. The date could be moved forward to the equivalent 2013, but we'd need to figure out some character creation stuff; the founder is already getting a bit old for the question sequence, given that he or she was born in 1984.

Yannanth

« Reply #258 on: October 29, 2012, 08:37:56 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:59:33 pm by Yannanth »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 29, 2012, 11:09:09 am »

Because I don't use Linux. While I agree that all things you list are things that really should be done, they're things that really must be done by someone who knows and uses Linux. I don't know what packages you need, I can't provide a precompiled binary, and while I can probably package the source code in an archive pleasing to Linux users, I can't test them for completeness.

I do care about and want to support Linux, but I'm not a Linux user myself, and I'm not properly equipped to support the platform in a user-friendly way.

Well I'm a new linux user, got arch going a week or so ago as my first distro, In the readme it says you need "build-essential libncurses-dev". I think I needed both of these with the ubuntu I tried out for a few hours, as well as "bin-utils".

However, using arch, "ncurses" is the only thing I need. I think.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 29, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »

I'm feeling annoyed. I'm not actually mad at anyone in particular, and I don't want to anyone to feel bad, but being pressured to exert effort to help people with cross-platform stuff, when I don't actually have the knowledge or inclination to do that, is a bit frustrating for me. It makes me feel like I'm lazy or unhelpful or falling short of expectations when I say no. I'm glad the game has cross-platform compatibility, but honestly, that's despite my involvement, not because of it. I just work on the game itself; I did not port the game, and I've unknowingly broken the Linux version multiple times. It took hours of working with someone over IM to fix the old flag burning on Linux crash bug.

Even now, I don't really grok the install process for Linux. I don't know what packages you need. I don't know what might change between distributions. I can't even test a source code package to make sure everything you need is included. I have managed to install the game on a Mac once or twice, but that was years ago, and I did that by following instructions, not by actually knowing what I was doing. I am really the wrong person to ask for help with this stuff. It's like asking a non-programmer to give someone instructions on programming: I don't know anything about the subject, and I am not qualified to help anyone to do it.

I'm happy to have a better install process for Linux, but someone else needs to make it happen. If you want to provide an instruction set and download, and I can see that this works for other people, I'm happy to link those things in the first post. That's what I did with the SVN download instructions provided by Carlos Gustavos. But no matter how much you lecture me about how I ought to provide this help myself, you're still asking the wrong person. I can't test the downloads. I can't make sure the instructions work. I have no knowledge of what packages are needed. I don't know the differences between Linux distributions. I don't even know what parts of the instructions might change between distributions, let alone what changes would be needed. Even if I took instructions that work for one person, they might not work for the next, and I'd be totally unable to say why.

If you're looking for the source code of 4.06.3 and no other changes past that, it's still possible to get it by checking out version 598 from the SVN repository. However, the latest SVN trunk should never be broken; we're pretty good about that. I once booted someone from the project for unintentionally but repeatedly breaking the SVN build. LCS also doesn't typically go through a "stable/unstable" build cycle... someone might add a feature that's ill-advised, but that's pretty uncommon. Usually anything someone commits is kept for the next major release. When it comes to grabbing code off of SVN, the latest is usually the greatest.

Guys, do you know how exactly do I play LCS in dos? I know about the HX dos extender, but I had problems installing it. How do I install it? (On a mac, at least?) And Fox, please compile me LCS if you can :D

I suspect it's not possible to play in true DOS; the game only supports Windows, Linux, and (incidentally from supporting Linux) OSX. It looks like a DOS game, but the Windows version still relies on Windows, under the hood.

As far as a pre-compiled OSX release, while I have been able to compile LCS for OSX in the past, I wouldn't feel comfortable building and providing a download for Mac. The Linux/Mac install process places files in multiple directories, not just one place. I would have to do some research to figure out where those are. I would also want to look into how to do it right: I'd make an installer script that re-installs the files in the correct places, and probably a second script that you could put in your applications directory as a proxy for the game's executable; it would launch the terminal, set it up with the right dimensions and text brightness settings, and run the game. Or, it might be straightforward to make a proper app in the applications directory, which contains the script. I don't know, since I've never done Mac development.

The reason it would be important to me to have scripts to do these things automatically for a Mac install is that the user base for Macs is very casual when it comes to getting under the hood. Mac applications install by dragging and dropping a single file into the applications directory. It's super user friendly. Having a really messy, complicated install process for Mac, that involves manually digging into uncommonly used folders and dropping files in places that don't exist yet... I think for most Mac players, that's way too high of a barrier to entry. Macs are all about stuff just working with needing to fiddle or be an expert.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 29, 2012, 08:24:10 pm »

Actually speaking of which, I just got this crash the other day, had to do with a car chase and I think I did try to lose them, either that or fight but I did that and then it just did the segmentation error text and just ended the game. Don't know if it's a specific linux issue or crossplatform.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 29, 2012, 09:03:54 pm »

Thanks for the bug report, but, that's not enough to go on. Something along the lines of "My game crashed, but I'm not sure what I did" is pretty useless to anyone working on the game. It would be awesome if you could provide a save file that is before the crash happens and tell me what you did, I may be able to fix it in 5 minutes.

(It would be a good excuse for me to contribute to the game again, gamelog functionality is still half-finished in trunk.)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 29, 2012, 09:29:20 pm »

There's something very wrong with that screenshot -- unless I'm mistaken, that's a car chase where the chasers don't have cars. I would fancy a guess that this was the proximate cause of the segfault. It isn't clear to me what the ultimate cause of that is, however.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 29, 2012, 09:51:12 pm »

Yeah I realize that, sorry. Not much else I cna do about it unless I see it again though. Car chase, fired at them, I had a sports car with one guy and the pickup truck with two guys, We shot at them, police shot the sports car guy up, it hit a parked car, flipped and he died. Pickup truck guys got shot up a bit, we decided to shoot again and then the segmentation fault. Ill try to see if it ever comes up again, Do saves get deleted after you lose? Or move to the next save?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2012, 10:07:14 pm »

Do saves get deleted after you lose? Or move to the next save?

LCS deletes your save when you lose, yeah. And it overwrites the old save whenever it saves again.

It's very permadeathy.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2012, 01:13:54 am »

Do saves get deleted after you lose? Or move to the next save?

LCS deletes your save when you lose, yeah. And it overwrites the old save whenever it saves again.

It's very permadeathy.
Yeah, but Id like a way for you to manual save in game, and choose where you want to load the game when opening, I think being able to save and load just for learning purposes would be amazing (I haven't played in forever so I need to relearn a little), and while its unrelated, I think something else that would be cool is adding an in game cheat mode, where you can just do whatever ever you want, like spawn items, spawn creatures, revive liberals, insta-kill conservatives, both of these would be GREAT for learning the game.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2012, 01:16:41 am »

LCS is a game that is meant to be learned through pain, non-Ironman and cheats ruin all that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yannanth

« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:44 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:59:19 pm by Yannanth »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2012, 04:15:48 pm »

Click and drag on the corner? :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36