Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oh my...  (Read 4193 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh my...
« on: August 31, 2012, 02:26:56 am »

I think I have a new favorite engraving. I knew my world must have an interesting history when I started getting dwarves mixed in with my goblin ambushes, but I never expected this:

This is unmodded, by the way. The dwarven traitors which have been attacking my fort all have goblin names, so I don't think this is related. But normal dwarves don't eat each other. Could some dwarves have... *shudder*... gone over to the elves?

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh my...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:37:34 am »

Ew. The Dwarfs in the Goblin ambushes could simply be the offspring of captured Dwarfs, or captured Dwarfs themselves.

As for the Dwarf eating another Dwarf....... ew...... My first guess was that said Dwarf went to live in an Elf civ, or is the offspring of a Dwarf from an Elf civ, which is definatly possible, as Dwarfs and Elves get along in worldgen, but iv never heard of a Dwarfs eating sapient beings.

Can someone test if a Dwarf is from an Elf civ, they will adopt Elven ethics?

Damn goodfornothing Elves.....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:40:20 am »

Ew. The Dwarfs in the Goblin ambushes could simply be the offspring of captured Dwarfs, or captured Dwarfs themselves.

As for the Dwarf eating another Dwarf....... ew...... My first guess was that said Dwarf went to live in an Elf civ, or is the offspring of a Dwarf from an Elf civ, which is definatly possible, as Dwarfs and Elves get along in worldgen, but iv never heard of a Dwarfs eating sapient beings.

Can someone test if a Dwarf is from an Elf civ, they will adopt Elven ethics?

Damn goodfornothing Elves.....

I thought any member of specific civ will adopt civ's race ethics, since it's civ ethics, not specific race's ethics? I know I've seen such in older versions, like goblins from dwarven civs never babysnatching and elves and dwarven member of goblin civs babysnatching in current version.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:48:25 am »

Mister OP, look it up in legends and tell us what civ he was a part of, what battle, etc. For all we know, he might not even be from an Elf civ, and if thats the case....... !!SCIENCE!! must be done extensivly.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:50:45 am »

Could it be a werebeast chowing down on someone?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 02:57:08 am »

My guess is vampire.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 03:04:04 am »

This reminds me of some ancient myth I read about some time ago..
What was it.. Chronos who devoured his own son or something? I forgot..

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:05:53 am »

Again I say, legend it. See if he's a werecreature, vampire, what civ he's from, etc. Then we can feed my curiosity.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 03:55:17 am »

I thought any member of specific civ will adopt civ's race ethics, since it's civ ethics, not specific race's ethics? I know I've seen such in older versions, like goblins from dwarven civs never babysnatching and elves and dwarven member of goblin civs babysnatching in current version.
IIRC you are correct in that adopted members of a civilization will follow that civilization's ethics, not those of whatever "race" they belong to. As such it is fully possible that this is a "elven" dwarf devouring a defeated "dwarven" dwarf (which sounds redundant).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:11:56 am »

Well, I took your suggestions and looked it up in legends. I'll post screenshots tomorrow if there's demand for it. Turns out Medtob Steelthunder Was kidnapped by a dwarven babysnatcher of a goblin civ. When she turned 12, she became a full member of The Mahogany Monsters of the Hate of Voice (the same ones that had been attacking my fort) in Crossghoul. She was at most 14 years old when she devoured Mosus Earthenswords. Ms. Steelthunder is still alive in 254, the current year. If I catch her on a babysnatching raid, I'll leave her fate up to the forum.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 04:25:51 am »

Chronos was the boss of the Greek pantheon after killing his father (Jupiter, I think) by cutting his testicles off. He had some sort of vision and saw that one of his children would take his power so whenever his wife gave birth he ate the child. Eventually his wife got pretty annoyed at this and swapped the baby with a big rock. Chronos ate it anyway (not realizing it was a rock) and his wife hid the baby, who grew up to become Zeus, and later on he came back and made his daddy sick up all his siblings. They then killed him, but I forget how. Knowing the Greeks it was probably quite gruesome.
My apologies for the off-topic, but I love the old Greek myths :P

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 07:29:35 am »

Chronos was the boss of the Greek pantheon after killing his father (Jupiter, I think) by cutting his testicles off. He had some sort of vision and saw that one of his children would take his power so whenever his wife gave birth he ate the child. Eventually his wife got pretty annoyed at this and swapped the baby with a big rock. Chronos ate it anyway (not realizing it was a rock) and his wife hid the baby, who grew up to become Zeus, and later on he came back and made his daddy sick up all his siblings. They then killed him, but I forget how. Knowing the Greeks it was probably quite gruesome.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean Cronus, not Chronos? Cronus being one of the titans and son of Uranus (not Jupiter who was mostly the roman version of Zeus) and Gaia. Chronos was a deity of time and different god than Cronus.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 07:33:56 am »

I stand corrected. I really should brush up on the old books, haven't in years due to my GCSEs.

contrafunktus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 12:12:24 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean Cronus, not Chronos? Cronus being one of the titans and son of Uranus (not Jupiter who was mostly the roman version of Zeus) and Gaia. Chronos was a deity of time and different god than Cronus.

Ouranos/Uranus and Kronos/Cronos is what you mean. Uranus/Gaia is the male/female sky/earth god/goddess respectively. Their children were the titans, and their son Kronos/Cronos chopped off Uranus's penis and threw it into the ocean. It was prophesied that Kronos's son (Zeus/Jupiter) would kill him, so Kronos ate all of his kids to stop this from happening. However his wife hid Zeus from Kronos at birth, and long story short, Zeus comes around, kills Kronos, lets all the other Olympians out of his stomach.

Check out Hesiod's Theogony for more!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 04:42:33 am »

Well, this is interesting. In the early years of my fortress, maybe the third year, I caught a couple of dwarven invaders in my cages. I never got around to deciding how to punish them, so I put one in my zoo and left the other in my cage stockpile. Ten years later, I'm engraving a large portion of a certain Fun area, when I stumble across this:

Same engraving, same battle, different dwarves. Now here's the good part:

You can verify in the raws that Stosbubespo translates to Hategift. Turns out I've had a cannibal locked up in my zoo the whole time! Now, what to do with her?
Pages: [1] 2