Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: CSI:Ankh-Morpork  (Read 12760 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: CSI:Ankh-Morpork
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 08:27:55 am »

Mackenzie Crook would have to be my first choice for Nobby.  Vetinari is a tough one though, maybe Alan Rickman?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 08:55:15 am »

Ideally the guy who did Sherlock (a tv series here which you should watch, now)who i strongly suspect is the same guy behind doctor who would be one of the guys directing it, if only because of the level of quality he can produce. Nope, in retrospect. I wonder who is there?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:43:16 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 10:28:46 am »

Yeah, having Steve Moffat on board would be great.  Although he's probably quite busy with Sherlock and Doctor Who as it is.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 10:29:39 am »

surely some random person from the dregs of humanity would be best as nobby nobs?

Have you seen Tony Robinson in Blackadder?   :P
This is a blank sig.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 01:43:39 pm »

surely some random person from the dregs of humanity would be best as nobby nobs?

Have you seen Tony Robinson in Blackadder?   :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACnqI1l4I9s

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2012, 03:23:51 pm »

now i'm picturing the full cast of blackadder as discworld characters... it would be glorious

Is there anything involving the full cast of Blackadder that wouldn't be glorious?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 04:38:09 am »

Oh my god this is happening... so excited!

If I were to ponder big names, Stephen Fry could pull off doddering old Sgt. Colon. Hugh Laurie could do a good Vimes, Vetinari, or even Carrot... he's versatile, and can play a solid goofball. Martin Freeman's busy, but he could do the odd Rincewind appearance.

I really don't care who they get for this, though... I'm just really glad to see it happen, and I hope they do it right.

FloorBelow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 05:43:04 am »

This both excites and worries me greatly. The Watch are my favourite part of Discworld, and if they don't do it right I shall be most disappointed.

That or some chimpanzee.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:47:46 am by FloorBelow »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 06:39:37 am »

I don't see how this could possibly work...

"Well, seems the vic died of natural causes."
"...There's thirty-seven stab wounds in his back."
"Like I said, natural causes."¹

¹After all, death would quite naturally follow from being stabbed so many times.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:54 am »

Guys, I wouldn't get too excited about getting an All-Star Ensemble Cast for this show. Probably we'll get a bunch of lesser known actors (even to those living in UK) and if we're lucky, one or two Big Names in secondary or guest roles.

I don't see how this could possibly work...

"Well, seems the vic died of natural causes."
"...There's thirty-seven stab wounds in his back."
"Like I said, natural causes."¹

¹After all, death would quite naturally follow from being stabbed so many times.

Just include it in the dialogue somehow. No need to go all Hitchhiker's Guide/Narrator style with in-movie footnotes.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 10:44:17 am »

PTW

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 11:42:08 am »

Part PTW, part "PBecauseIWasThereWhenPTerryAndTheLadsShowedSomeTheProofOfConceptToAWholeLotOfUsAndIThinkIt'sSafeToSayThatWeWereImpressed."

CGI to a minimum (like magic, Vimes wouldn't want it interfering with his Watch except where necessary), prosthetics[1] where ncessary.

Won't be Vimes Heavy (or indeed many of the 'regular' book cast, except as already mentioned, although there'll probably be 'cameos' as plot-points require), but follows the 'Posh Lad'[2] new-guy and the team he joins.  "Crime(/Monster) Of The Week" format, but with definite series arcs and development.

How much more can I describe?

Anyway, promising looking.  And as PTerry has to be happy with it, I'm going to have to complain to Him if it doesn't turn out 'right'.

[1] Yeah, that could go good or bad.  Like the CGI I saw, I didn't see any obvious foam rubber, so better than Mr Pump in GP.

[2] The Upper Class is probably the one AM minority that Vimes hasn't learnt to respect already.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 12:18:48 pm »

Good news, the show is apparently being run by Terry Pratchett, Rob Wilkins, and Rhianna Pratchett. They are also making a Good Omens TV movie.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 09:37:26 pm »

Note (just to postpone possible comments) that while there are obvious family reasons why PTerry trusts PRhianna[1] to play with his world, she's also cultivated a career in her own right[2].  She's worked exensively with words in journalism (like her father) and in computer game dialogue/plot (possibly more than her dad[3]), and has been brought into other filmic media projects.

So, anyway, hearing her own words about the Watch series (both on stage and some casual remarks heard from the next table over in the bar), I'm very optimistic about her involvement.

(And the clips shown for Good Omens looked promising, also, yes indeed, thanks for reminding me.  Again, hard to qualify that fully until it actually arises out of the Deep, Deep Pits Of Development and, fully formed, presents itself to the bright glare of public release, but that's always the case, so please forgive me any further precipitate optimism I may be displaying.)

[1] ;)

[2] Well, doubtless her surname didn't hurt, but she's apparently lived up to expectations, which you can't say for all offspring of famous people following in their footsteps.

[3] He obviously had some involvement/say in the Discworld games, which were semi-adaptions.  Except for Discworld Noir, which was an original plotline.  Not sure how much he contributed to that, though, although the basic feel and environment of Discworld is certainly there, as I recall.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 06:57:41 pm »

Any word? I hope they cast someone nos(e)y for Vimes. Someone who is the part, not just bitter. Someone who grew up in Cockbill street. Someone who got thrown in a cell with Carrot, the intended protagonist, and the author thought intently and not without a little curiosity.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5