Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Yume Nikki (Current Fangame: Crypt Worlds Pg. 13) - Dreaming and You.  (Read 31170 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Yume Nikki (Literally translated as "Dream Diary") is a horror(horror may be kind've stretching it, but creepy didn't sound right)/surrealist game, made by an enigamtic japanese person that goes by the internet handle Kikiyama, (That is literally about all anyone knows about him) that follows the life and more prominently, dreams, of a girl named Madotsuki (Translated as "Window", but not in the glass window sense. Think like, the aperture in a camera, or the little slot in an envelop where you can see the reciever.), who has, by and large become entirely socially detatched from the outside world, to the point where she refuses to leave her room/apartment/whatever it is. So, instead, she dreams.

Unfortunatly saying much else would be detracting from the game itself. I will say, the game is primarily about EXPLORATION. There's only one "enemy" and it can't kill you so much as just set you back a little bit. So don't play this game if you're not big on exploration. The game has a magnificent ambient soundtrack, so I reccomend leaving the volume up. On top of this, try to play it in it's default fullscreen mode. It'll help. The game should work fine on modern windows OSes, I can't speak for mac or linux.

There are some screnshots on the screenshot page of the homepage. Don't try to leave that page, due to how I linked it the frame on the left is gone and you can't. Besides, an english translation of the game will be posted later in the post.

Namely here. Use the mediafire link, the fansite's link for the translation is no longer working. It's at the bottom of the article.

SO YOU WANT MORE DO YA?! You finished yume nikki and want more games similar to it? Well you're in luck. Here is a list of fangames based on or around the concept of Yume Nikki. This thing is basically it's own genre. You may not nessacerily find english translations of all of them. Two of them that come highly reccomended are .flow and Yume 2kki. No LP's that I know of of these games. If you do find an LP of them, (make sure it's a good one, please, pretty much anything with people talking over the sound is out) please let me know and I will be happy to post it.

Incidentally if you aren't willing to buzz around the wiki for forever for new bizzare things, take a look at the last page. This thread isn't terribly active and I'm most of the posts in it, but if I post after a long period of inactivity it's because I've found a new trippy, potentially horrifying thing.

Sooo yeah. Have a look around, NEW SPOILER RULES: Discussing the backgrounds/trippy shit is fine. Discussing minor NPCs is fine. Discussing interactions with minor NPCs is fine. Names of major NPCs are also fine, as they're typically not terribly descriptive. Interactions with major NPCs are spoiler material. Generally if it is a shock/scary thing/crazy thing, spoiler it. If you're not sure, spoiler it. Bizzare/interesting interactions with minor NPCs are also spoiler material. I highly reccomend trying the game out on your own before you consult the wiki. A large part of this game is discovering all the crazy crap in it, and looking at a wiki really really spoils it.

As a side note, most of the fan content of this game should at least be considered mildly NSFW, usually mild gore, but as always with the internet, creepers have come out of the woodwork too (Although that facet of the internet hasn't hit Yume Nikki terribly hard, comparatively.). If you look for fan stuff be ready for that sorta thing! Although there is some good perfectly SFW fanart, by and large it does not seem to be the majority.

Also, fangames are free to discuss, but again PLEASE LABEL AND TAG THE SPOILERS FOR THEM. PUT THEM IN SEPERATE SPOILER TAGS,
Spoiler: Yume Nikki Spoilers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: .flow Spoilers (click to show/hide)
, AS AN EXAMPLE. This helps keep people from accidentally stumbling on spoilers for a game they didn't want to spoil. All of the rules from the above spoiler rule are in effect.

However, if you just can't stomach the gameplay and are still interested, here is a wonderful LP of it.

So with all that said, go nuts.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:11:42 pm by Seriyu »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Yume Nikki - Social Detatchment, Dreaming, and You.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »

I was there when this thread was being dreamed up!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:30:46 pm »

This is the first game in a while that I've felt motivated enough about to download right off. Looks quite interesting to me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:35:22 pm »

Honestly this is one of the few games where I think the letsplay is actually far supperior to the game.

Also this is one of those games that is actually aided by the fact that it will simply never be finished. It had strong hints of gaming features they were planning but never got to.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:40:17 pm »

Yep, both true. Certainly don't be shy about watching it if you just can't stand wandering around samey terrain. It's a great game, but at the same time, it can be hard to deal with if you can't keep your attention focused on similar terrain for too long.

Also side note, I don't want to discourage discussion about the game directly, despite the big text in the OP, just be sure to put it in spoiler tags. talk all you like about the plot or whathaveyou, just in spoiler tags.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:09:18 pm »

So
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Veld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 10:58:57 am »

Is this thread just for Yume Nikki, or could we discuss the fangames, like .flow here too?

I haven't gotten around to finishing Yume Nikki yet, although I've finished .flow. To me, Yume Nikki just seems a lot less fun than .flow.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 12:20:22 pm »

I have no knowledge of this game.  Nothing with my profile would indicate so.

;)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »

Is this thread just for Yume Nikki, or could we discuss the fangames, like .flow here too?

I haven't gotten around to finishing Yume Nikki yet, although I've finished .flow. To me, Yume Nikki just seems a lot less fun than .flow.
Having played both, I found .flow to be more enjoyable than Yume Nikki, though both are great. Yume Nikki has a greater emphasis on repetitive exploration, while .flow has a deeper atmosphere. I haven't finished Yume 2kki yet, because it drags on a bit. The wallpapers are entertaining, but I feel as though there's too much walking with too little reward - the worlds are too empty, and the pathways are too convoluted.

Hey, everyone, have some useful links:
Madotsuki's Closet - the best fansite; it has links for downloads, instructions on installation, etc. though some may be outdated.
Yume Wikki - don't go here until you get bored with the game. The game is about the exploration and discovery.
List of fangames; .flow is my favorite, as I said, and Yume 2kki is also very popular.
Uboachan - may be NSFW. Kind of active. Has some useful links, if you look around.

Did I mention I really like Yume Nikki? It and the other two mentioned are my only desktop game shortcuts.

Also, I am one of those who have triumphed and was able to install Yume 2kki, so if you have difficulties I may be able to help.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 05:15:23 pm »

Iiii have not played .flow (didn't know it was even related, might check it out) or yume 2kki (I'm typically kind've warey of fangames based around other games, they rarely seem to go well, and if the installer isn't gonna be cooperative, then that kinda sinks it altogether), but I've got no issues with discussing them. Keep it in spoiler tags though, and maybe label them as yume 2kki and .flow or somethin.

For people that are playin the game, don't be afraid to keep a little journal of what you've seen so far, and maybe impressions on it. It's fun to try and figure this thing out, even if I kind've doubt there's any solid 100% "correct" theory.

And it's fun seeing people's initial reactions to all the crazy crap.

EDIT: Eyy, they both actually look pretty sharp. I might check em both out, if I can get 2kki's installer to work.

EDIT2: ALso, sub note, be sure to seperate game spoilers into seperate spoiler tags. Some people might be interested in 2kki spoilers but not .flow spoilers or nikki spoilers, etc. It'll be easier to keep em straight that way.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:41:00 pm by Seriyu »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 05:48:27 pm »

Well I already long since analysed the ending of the game and why it makes perfect sense.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 06:07:25 pm »

Feel free to repost it for the thread! In spoiler tags, of course. :P

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 06:31:26 pm »

Double post for people more educated then I on the matter, I just downloaded flow version .10 english (I know there's not a lot of text, but still), but it says "OBSOLETE flow0.10e" etc. Does that mean there's a newer english version out? Am I really missing a lot by using the english version? If there is a newer one, does anyone know where it is?

Thanks in advance.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile

On a scale from Dear Esther to LSD (IE Completely Liner but great story telling vs. Almost no story telling but amazing openness sorta) where does this place?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On a scale from Dear Esther to LSD (IE Completely Liner but great story telling vs. Almost no story telling but amazing openness sorta) where does this place?

This game has a story but you have to put it together yourself because the game will tell you NOTHING absolutely nothing.

It is rather tragic assuming that everything isn't just random.

Also I feel like Dear Esther sort of cheats. It doesn't exactly tell you a story... it tells you a story. Essentially it is the equivilant of reading a book while doing some very easy platforming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13