Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Yume Nikki (Current Fangame: Crypt Worlds Pg. 13) - Dreaming and You.  (Read 31194 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Yume Nikki (and related fangames) - Social Detatchment, Dreaming, and You.
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2012, 12:14:41 am »

So, stuff we missed. Some of this is in versions that have not yet been translated. I'm mostly just summing it up from the wiki.

So yeah, I greatly enjoyed flow! And I originally thought I'd take a break for a little bit then work on getting yume 2kki to work, but Iunno I kinda feel up to it. Maybe in the next few days I'll try, I'm on windows 7 though so that makes things complicated, since it doesn't like installing language packs in a way that makes it work. If any of you have pointers on getting it to work, please, PLEASE let me know.

Also I'd live to hear opinions on my theories if you're the type, and have finished the game, it's the best part of all this junk. I know I didn't touch on all of it, some of it is bound to just be "dream stuff", and as such not terribly relevant. But if there's something big you think I missed ,feel free to speak up.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2012, 12:36:35 am »

I was there when he complained about having to write that! :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2012, 01:11:58 am »

I wasn't complaining, I was yelling, they're two different things. :D

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2012, 12:10:35 am »

I agree with a lot of what you say with regards to Yume Nikki vs. .flow, but I would say that one other thing that Yume Nikki does better overall is ambiance. This isn't to say that .flow does ambiance poorly, especially in some of the more horrible areas of the game. But its obvious that more effort went into things like the hospital than into things like the cyberspacey area. Yume Nikki on the other hand has very few areas which I would say lack any kind of ambient feeling, even in the less interesting areas like the darkness world, mostly due to how it uses its music. .flow does much more with the horror-elements, and is at its strongest when it uses them, but I'd say that Yume Nikki is better at conveying the dreamlike feel of the world.

Also, while you've talked about Kyuu-Kyuu kun a lot, I'm wondering now what you think about FACE?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2012, 03:19:24 am »

Thet is a very good point, and I totally overlooked FACE. I think because I saw an LP of yume nikki before I played, but I definitely remember jumping at it. I dunno if EVERYONE would find it REALLY SCARY or anything but it's definitely a case of something being at least mildly scary, and I totally overlooked it.

And I have to admit you're right about the ambience. Some areas of .flow seem just added in for the sake of having another step to get into another area.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2012, 03:29:35 am »

Double post for the sake of double post, I've gotten the files together for yume 2kki installation, I'll probably do something similar as I did with .flow, so look forward to that if I can get it working. (Actually, scratch that, the page for yume 2kki game files is down, that might slow things down a tad) I'll prolly start working on it the day after tomorrow if I can get the files by then.

Also mentioning that if you're just playing through a game the first time, feel free to make a little "diary" like I did. Don't even need pictures, unless you really wanna take em. It's neat to see how people react to various events and such. If we get enough of them I might start documenting them in the OP.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:37 pm »

Got yume 2kki installed! I'll prolly start doing the same thing I did for .flow for yume 2kki either tomorrow or today.

For people on windows 7 that want it installed, the wiki installation process is wrong, understandably, because you can change the language required for non unicode programs (which is why yume 2kki is so crazy hard to install on vista to begin with). Go to control panel, Clock Language and Region, Region and language. A window pops up, go to administrative. Language for Non Unicode programs, click "Change system LOcale", change it to japanese, and then restart. This won't make the computer display system files and such in japanese, it just tells it to use japanese whenever a file that isn't in unicode shows up. Hope it helps!

Here's hoping it doesn't crash for me too much.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2012, 10:40:15 pm »

Annnd here we are! Hopefully, presuming it doesn't randomly crash or anything.

Humm.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2012, 04:45:42 pm »

The wallpapers are the best part of Yume 2kki. I would have several of them as my actual computer backgrounds if they weren't so small.
I thought that was an apartment building, not a hotel. I haven't checked the wiki, so I don't know which it is.
When you find the desert, don't go wandering around in it lost. I spent half an hour there, without being lost. I've also walked up and down that beach half a dozen times. Some areas can be time sinks.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2012, 01:21:18 am »

Wahah, yeah might be an apartment now that you mention it, it looks a little.... nice for a hotel. And there might be wallpaper sized wallpapers here. I haven't tried either of the links though, so I could be wrong and it may just be all of the wallpaper images.

Neat.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:27:54 am by Seriyu »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2012, 09:25:30 am »

The wiki hasn't been loading for me lately, but I have both of the wallpaper sets. They're 1600x1200 repaintings of some of the game's wallpapers (one set from normal wallpapers, one from the ones you see on your dream computer). My favorites aren't there, but there are some good ones. Too bad my desktop is 1920x1080. Edit: Using one as my background anyway.

I think I'll restart Yume 2kki soon. I've ended up revisiting the same areas and making no progress, but if I start over I might be inspired to accidentally find new things.
Edit: Restarted, almost immediately found new areas.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:37:12 pm by Lectorog »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2012, 11:02:40 pm »

Wahaha, that's the ticket.  :P

Adorable.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2012, 12:04:04 am »

Onward

Eww.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:59 am »

And yet more.

Lovely.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2012, 04:24:01 pm »

Yeah, Yume 2kki is kind of all over the place. I don't think any theories will really work. It doesn't have a coherent theme like Yume Nikki and .flow. (Though I wouldn't say they have coherent themes; just relatively.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13