Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unreachable quest target - Dungeon  (Read 1476 times)

Icky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Unreachable quest target - Dungeon
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »

I have a quest target from the leader of this civilization to kill an elf ringleader in the dungeons of the capital.

I can get there no problem, but these dungeons appear a LOT smaller than the others I have been in.  It's only two levels and about 5 rooms per level.

I've scoured every room multiple times, slept several days to let it respawn (both in the dungeon and outside), and the ringleader never seems to appear.

Is it possible that:

- There are unconnected rooms in the dungeon?
- There are hidden rooms in the dungeon?
- The ringleader is actually living somewhere else?  The prompts do say "Start by looking in the dungeons here..."

Any help is appreciated.

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreachable quest target - Dungeon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:29:01 pm »

I have a quest target from the leader of this civilization to kill an elf ringleader in the dungeons of the capital.

I can get there no problem, but these dungeons appear a LOT smaller than the others I have been in.  It's only two levels and about 5 rooms per level.

I've scoured every room multiple times, slept several days to let it respawn (both in the dungeon and outside), and the ringleader never seems to appear.

Is it possible that:

- There are unconnected rooms in the dungeon?
- There are hidden rooms in the dungeon?
- The ringleader is actually living somewhere else?  The prompts do say "Start by looking in the dungeons here..."

Any help is appreciated.

Based on my experience, I'd vote the last one. The quest compass is not at all accurate for dungeons... it usually puts me in the middle of a field somewhere, and I eventually give up and start exploring the nearest cathedral, only to learn that I'm in exactly the right spot. Even then, you get weird stuff like the compass saying "ENE" and then changing to "***" when you walk south a bit and go down some stairs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:54:57 am »

You could try entering the catacomb to search for unconnected rooms.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Icky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:59:56 am »

It looks like the catacombs aren't connected to the dungeon either...I may just have to move to another civilization since I don't think I can get any more quests in this one til I finish.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:30 am »

You might try going to the sewers and seeing if you can work your way into the Dungeon; else are you sure that the Dungeon is as small as you think? Sometimes Hatches are the same color as the Dungeon Floor so they blend in, and other things can obscure paths to the rest of the Dungeon.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Icky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:12:58 pm »

I haven't done a sewer yet but I've heard bad things.  I am about 95% sure there is no other area in the dungeon.  I went through the entire thing like 5 times on 5 different game days, and only found one enemy each time.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 04:49:44 am »

til I finish.
How would finishing one quest help? You can take as much quests as you want. You just need to be a somewhat famous person if you want bigger quests from ladies/lords in castles.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 11:07:01 pm »

til I finish.
How would finishing one quest help? You can take as much quests as you want. You just need to be a somewhat famous person if you want bigger quests from ladies/lords in castles.
Lords and ladies will only give you one quest at a time. You don't have to move civilizations though, just find another lord or lady or law-giver or even priest.