Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Woawoawoa! Dragon egg?  (Read 6939 times)

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
Re: Woawoawoa! Dragon egg?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 01:30:57 am »

Do remmember that dragon takes...ages to get older thus usefull...a Dwarf sized dragon isnt of much use afaik.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:42 am »

1000 years to mature. I had a fortress that had a cave dragon shrine. I wanted to get a breeding pair, but never succeeded.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 03:40:07 am »

How about making the baby-dragons a lot like super viscious bigger than dwarf sized wolves. Sure they would not grow up but they would be SO CUTE. I wish I knew how to add a creature like that to the raws.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 03:53:08 am »

1000 years to mature. I had a fortress that had a cave dragon shrine. I wanted to get a breeding pair, but never succeeded.
1000 years to grow to full size, but not to sexually mature, which is determined by whatever number you put on the [CHILD:X] token. And remember that even small dragons can still breathe dragonfire. Besides, dragons hit the size of dwarves at their second year, are about double a dwarf at age 5, and then add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that, so as long as your fort isn't a short term thing you should still have some fairly large dragons by the end.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:22:08 am »

add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »

Do remmember that dragon takes...ages to get older thus usefull...a Dwarf sized dragon isnt of much use afaik.
Other than a flying flamethrower.

Well snap. Damn. New fortress goal...
Before you do that, do note that the dragons have a huge gestation period. They need some decent raw modification before they become useful.
Further testing has shown that all eggs have the same gestation period (6 months or something like that, I don't remember exactly) and that the EGG_SIZE:X token had no effect on the time it took for an egg to hatch.
What did it affect? Was my hypothesis on EGG_SIZE being the weight of the egg(thus making it an ironically deadly projectile) correct?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

"Dragons do not have a [CHILD] tag, and therefore their eggs do not hatch in fortress mode. "

From the wiki.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »

Yep, we all know they don't have a child tag.  That doesn't mean anything though.  Because we can mod that in.  We can also mod the size, if we really want, to make them have a growth spurt, then slow back down to the normal rate.  We can make them shoot rainbows if we want.  Nothing is really blocking us, it's just a matter of not breaking the game.  Also, thanks to another guy on the forums, (whose name I have forgotten again, he'll probably show up here or something, and I'll look silly for forgetting it twice) we know that egg size does not do anything.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 05:37:48 am »

add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

This made my day  :D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 04:44:48 pm »

How about making the baby-dragons a lot like super viscious bigger than dwarf sized wolves. Sure they would not grow up but they would be SO CUTE. I wish I knew how to add a creature like that to the raws.
Well, you could change their size tag.  If you want to make them dangerous, put some attack velocity on them.
Wait, did you mean literal wolves?  Because then you'd just change their scales to fur (not all that hard, but I can't remember the tag name) get rid of their [FLIER] and [2WINGS] tags, and add [PREFSTRING:cuteness].  Honestly, DF modding isn't that hard once you start.  It's really just tokens.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 04:53:55 pm »

For some reason, DF!dragons don't seem to fly.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 09:54:21 pm »

they don't have wings, for one, but you'd also have to give them the [FLIER] tag (Not that it would do you much good, considering how flying is broken for civ members).
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 10:07:35 pm »

they don't have wings, for one, but you'd also have to give them the [FLIER] tag (Not that it would do you much good, considering how flying is broken for civ members).
Cave dragons have wings, though, and some Eastern dragons fly without them.
Flying would be of minimal use in most dwarven fortresses, thanks to the whole "in glorified mines" thing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]