Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Woawoawoa! Dragon egg?  (Read 6946 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Woawoawoa! Dragon egg?
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:06:10 pm »

So i killed this one dragon by trowing a silver short sword at its head, butchered and ventured into its cave.
I find tons of dragon eggs, can i  use these for anything?

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woawoawoa! Dragon egg?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »

Finely minced dragon egg roast?

(sorry ;))

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:09:04 pm »

Finely minced dragon egg roast?

(sorry ;))

Thought of making ommelette, but ok ;D

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:50:08 pm »

They make valuable trade goods and heavy projectiles, but you can't cook them or hatch them. Still, it's pretty fun to collect megabeast eggs and just run around some dungeon somewhere killing everything with them.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 03:03:07 pm »

Could you take them to a fortress site, and hatch them there?  Would that even be a good idea?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 03:33:31 pm »

Could you take them to a fortress site, and hatch them there?  Would that even be a good idea?

I read on the wiki that dragons dont have a child tag, so cant hatch

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »

As Meistermoxx mentioned, dragons lack the child tag, preventing any eggs ever laid from hatching. Also if an egg is laid and then the parent creature ever leaves the nest box, then the egg will not hatch, regardless of the type of egg, whether or not it was fertile, or if the parent was killed or hauled away.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 03:52:18 pm »

But if i was to add that tag, they would hatch?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:57:49 pm »

Any newly laid ones would, yes. Any current ones that you have would still be sterile. I also seem to remember that somebody mentioned that they found that egg laying animals sometimes had "saved up" a few batches of eggs, so you might need to steal the first few clutches before you got a fertile one. (The event happened after they had let a dragon sit on an infertile clutch [laid before the CHILD token was added] for a long period of time. After they took the eggs the dragon immediately laid another clutch which also proved infertile. At this point they then kept taking eggs until the dragon left the nest, at which point the next clutch was fertile.)

Also as this thread was originally talking about adventure mode I would like to mention that currently it is impossible to hatch any eggs in adventure mode, regardless of their origins.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 04:19:34 pm »

Yeah, I know they don't have the [CHILD] tag, and I mentioned taking them to a fort-site.  I did forget about the incubation, however.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:16:24 pm »

So wait, you are saying that I can breed dragons if I stick the [CHILD] tag to it?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 06:25:14 pm »

So wait, you are saying that I can breed dragons if I stick the [CHILD] tag to it?
Yeah. Just put [CHILD:X] (with X being the number of years a dragon is a child) into the dragon creature entry and if you ever manage to get both a male and female dragon they can claim a nestbox and you can have baby dragons.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 06:27:48 pm »

Well snap. Damn. New fortress goal...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 12:22:22 am »

Before you do that, do note that the dragons have a huge gestation period. They need some decent raw modification before they become useful.

There was a pretty recent thread on the topic, so you would be able to get pointers and pictures of success there.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 12:24:10 am »

Before you do that, do note that the dragons have a huge gestation period. They need some decent raw modification before they become useful.
Further testing has shown that all eggs have the same gestation period (6 months or something like that, I don't remember exactly) and that the EGG_SIZE:X token had no effect on the time it took for an egg to hatch.
Pages: [1] 2