Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Rawbots - Build robots and fight 'em. Now on Kickstarter.  (Read 13053 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rawbots - Build robots and fight 'em
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 09:00:57 pm »

Yeah. If they did that with modern physics/etc...

Man, that would get my money!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 04:09:40 am »

It looks interesting, but the execution needs to be perfect for this to work. Otherwise it's going to play like a more complex version of toribash or something...

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 09:33:12 am »

And what wrong with toribash now?
actually the walking bots fighting looks a lot like toribash, but i guess if that's not your thing, you can use tracks and guns instead.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 10:56:16 am »

It's the tracks and guns that really made me notice this. Because by now we've all seen a lot of robot fighting games with this premise. The walkers did look super goofy to me, but the tracked and weaponized ones did seem like it'd have legitimate application in the hands of the user.

Whereas "Whacky Inflatable Tubeman" does seem closer to Toribash's brand of "fighting."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PokerVertigo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:49:27 pm »

Rawbots is on Steam Greenlight.

Let's help try to get that game on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92987433

rozgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 12:34:47 am »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/30/construct-em-up-rawbots/

This looks pretty great. It's a robot-building 'n fighting game. Check the article for a video.

I get a strange Spore vibe from it, maybe that's just the robots driving across a planetoid though.

There's nothing else to go on right now as the game's only presence is on a Facebook page, but hopefully after some attention that will change.

We are working on a website, but we ultimately have to admit, we failed miserably trying to bring up a 'quick' website. I gotta give it to web developers, robotics is kids game compared to getting a community website up. We did however get our hands on an IPBoards account, and things are looking good for a website early next week.

Funny thing, we had IK, hardware, core, physics, graphics and gameplay engineers trying to get a CSS3 file to work. We gave up. Now we have a pro on it.

rozgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 12:48:05 am »

What I want to know is how/if walking mechs are possible. Proper mechs, not these fixed animation things in the video. Also, those tiny planet things look awful. But of course it's only an early demo. I'll be watching this game from afar, I think.

Everything in the video is generated, no canned animations. Its signal-based with oscillators, and other type of controllers.

In these videos you can see how far we got with walkers:

Horse-like:
http://youtu.be/uxVujZwqbnE

spider-like:
http://youtu.be/DYtIbzNz_hU

biped-like:
http://youtu.be/3WOSKPjf0bQ

We haven't been able to get walkers to be as efficient as other types of machines, and they didn't look cool. Thats why they didnt make the video.

"`I wonder what makes us build inefficiently-shaped human robots instead of nice streamlined machines?'
`Pride, sir,' said the robot."
Terry Pratchett (The Dark Side of the Sun)

But these segway-like things work surprisingly well, staying up with PID controllers:
http://youtu.be/YpjMm7DzYXU

So we haven't invented anything here. But we are proud of the single most important contribution we are making... which is to make accessible and fun, all these complex constructs.

On planets... I'll talk more about that in another reply. Hopefully this helps.

rozgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 01:08:32 am »

Yeah. If they did that with modern physics/etc...

Man, that would get my money!

We'll take it. Cause we are doing it with modern physics.

In a nutshell, we will run at no less than 60 (we want more, but VR headsets?). Normal games run with 6 physics step per frame, we are doing 100. And we are doubling the Time simulation, so you experience the game at twice the speed. Where others are taking graphics to extremes, we are doing in physics.

We can't stand to see another freaking slow robot game. We want fast, responsive robots. To the point where we are NOT going for realistic, but for fun, almost comical, simulation. In terms of computation, this means... a whole lot of integration.

Physics will not be realistic (human-wise), but will be consistent within this Rawbots universe, because physics will serve fast and responsive gameplay, first and foremost. Without a doubt we are standing on the shoulders of giants (lots of good robot games), but in this specific direction, is where we jump off.

rozgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 01:18:21 am »

Oh yeah, we are on Steam Greenlight, that is if you can find us. Our lead developer coined the greenlight system a Quantum Leap Sort Board. When you think you've seen it, its gone.

But this should always work: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92987433

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 03:16:13 am »

Yay, yet another dev on B12!

All the stuff you described seems extremely taxing for CPU. Are you going to use multiple cores?

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 06:12:14 am »

Oh wow, you decided to visit our corner of the interwebs. Welcome! I hope you didn't trip over the pile of mutilated kitten corpses on your way in.

What I want to know is how/if walking mechs are possible. Proper mechs, not these fixed animation things in the video. Also, those tiny planet things look awful. But of course it's only an early demo. I'll be watching this game from afar, I think.

Everything in the video is generated, no canned animations. Its signal-based with oscillators, and other type of controllers.

I really shouldn't have referred to them as animations. More like... fixed walk cycles. It seems to me that the robots' legs always move in a fixed cycle, no matter what's going on around the robot. I have always despised this way of getting things to walk. It just seems lazy, and it looks ugly. Quite different from watching a quadreped animal walking around and placing their feet deliberately. Although I have to say, getting something realistic working would be extremely challenging.

I have a few questions about the biped-like video. Is it balancing itself realistically? Like, it's not using fake forces or anything, only hinge joint motors? Have you got something like that walking yet?

Thanks for replying, you've definitely made me more interested in the project.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 08:51:55 am »

Yeah, any chance for touch-pressure sensors ala Framsticks? It's not perfect but you'd be able to limit the response of a leg motor, say, if the foot were only just touching the ground. Actually, speaking of, any chance at all down the line of modding in some sort of Framsticks-like evolving carnage? I always thought the little guys could use more flamethrowers. This looks awesome either way, you have my vote.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 04:44:42 pm »

Wow -- the more I read on this game the more I think it will be something groundbreaking -- and the more certain I am that I will need a new computer very soon!

Here's a link to the company Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/rozgok/videos
And here is one to the website. Not much on it yet, but some interesting articles on the "graph-based" design scheme. Sounds pretty cool. http://www.rozgo.com/blog/

Another thing I see that is a good sign is the way the devs just said outright that consistency and belivability are far more important than "realism" in a game. People like fantasy worlds; what they don't like is illogical behaviour. As long as the physics are intuitive, making them "unrealistic" for gameplay reasons is perfectly natural!

rozgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51:46 am »

Our website is up and running Rawbots.net

We are also taking pre-orders for hardcore-early-alpha-build-risk-seeking players.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 01:19:49 am »

As cool as this looks, I can't see many people spending $20 at this point. There's always an associated risk that the game doesn't deliver or just isn't very good, and while promising there's a lot of competition around the $10 price range. If I were you I'd seriously consider offering some kind of free demo.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4