Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 512688 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4125 on: December 12, 2018, 09:28:43 am »

The gig was a lie.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4126 on: December 16, 2018, 06:52:46 am »

Dreamed Winston Churchill was speaking to the House of Commons, persuading, coercing and otherwise forcing them into supporting the war effort after the disastrous opening to WWII. The only difference from the dream and the actual event, was that everyone had sparklers

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: December 16, 2018, 11:31:53 am »

I was strolling through a certain mountain town, and stopped on a hill to take some sunset pictures.  When I pulled out my phone, I noticed a couple of people very unsuspiciously cover their faces and wander away quickly.  The Yakuza!

I walked down the darkening street as clouds filled the sky, much noire.  I found a Japanese restaurant with "Out of beer!" on the chalkboard.  I went to the counter and asked for a beer.  "We're out of beer."  "I'll take the wheat beer"  "Good choice, but it's very sweet."  "That's okay."  "...Perhaps too sweet for you!"
I had apparently not finished the code response.  I don't remember what happened, I think ninjitsu.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: December 16, 2018, 02:21:44 pm »

Just had a dream where I was playing this intense team-based FPS with a bunch of friends.
Like, it had this wonderful balance between realism and playability... like the ridiculous level of detail you'd expect from Arma or some shit but without it requiring its own university degree to play properly. Maybe it was VR or something... more likely such a thing could only exist in a dream.

I actually won the first match I remember playing, where I was on my own, although there was some weirdness where I wasn't top of the leaderboard despite being the last one standing... apparently as a noob I didn't know how to score loads of points? Kinda weird considering it was seemingly some sort of Battle Royale mode. Or maybe it was just a last-man-standing deathmatch without the stupid 'shrinking map' mechanic. Remember when those were a thing?!

Anyway, I didn't let that get me down and joined a new match or two in a small team of friends. I don't remember any map-shrinking shenanigans in this case, in fact we seemed to lurk near the barn-like building where we spawned for the whole time, eventually fleeing back into it when confronted with another team who flooded the whole field we were in with flares, which was apparently a sure sign of a very experienced, well-equipped team indeed.
We fled massacre, but found humiliation... the 'barn' turned out to be some sort of newbie safe-area, with - bizarrely- a large group of children bouncing on trampolines. The newbies. I got the impression that they were actual players, for some reason choosing trampoline bouncy times over the actual shooting. Maybe the physics in this game were just so amazing that it was as good as an actual trampoline? ???

Not sure. Maybe they were just NPCs, designed to make any experienced players choosing to hide in the newb-zone feel like losers. It worked: before long we all shook our heads in disgust and turned to march back out into the night, ready to face whatever lay beyond.
The game was pretty damn realistic; dying felt like a very real threat even though you knew you'd respawn.
Maybe it was VR, and VR gaming is more awesome than my conscious mind would have expected? Who knows. Fun dream, though!   

I had an interesting medieval fantasy dream the night before, but I didn't finish typing it up and I don't really have time right now. I still remember the gist of it, though, hopefully I'll have time (and remember) to do it later on at some point. I think my last attempt at recording it was probably way too long-winded.     
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:24:05 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: December 17, 2018, 03:19:23 am »

I had a dream about playing Super Mario Odyssey on my PC. The things I remember the most from the dream are:
Motorcycle level where Mario fights against some Koopa that controls the Sun, thus bombarding me with sun energy beams.
RPG stats, with "Endurance" being awkwardly called "Preservative".
Me having an absolute joy playing it.
My brain waking me up, with me realizing that the only Mario game available for PC is Mario is Missing.

saddestface.jpg
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: December 17, 2018, 03:27:04 am »

I had another one of those "hold your breath to become positively buoyant* in air" dreams, this time using that ability to go body surfing.

Strange dreams those ones.. very strange.  Slept good though.

(*By this, I  mean like a helium balloon. Not actual flight, just negation of almost all weight.)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: December 17, 2018, 12:12:22 pm »

I had a dream about playing Super Mario Odyssey on my PC. The things I remember the most from the dream are:
Motorcycle level where Mario fights against some Koopa that controls the Sun, thus bombarding me with sun energy beams.
Me having an absolute joy playing it.
Want.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: December 19, 2018, 05:40:27 pm »

Had a bunch o' dreams last night, all of which were probably pretty bizarre. There was one involving this incredibly virile warrior dude with a two-handed sword and the many nubile women who started flocking to him, helping him out in battles by wielding shields and such, and bearing him tonnes of children, many of whom grew up to be warriors themselves.
There was a time skip at some point in the dream (I think previously the main character had been the guy's mother or somethin') and then by that point, the women had kept coming and the rad-tag army was absolutely massive, with chaos reigning in the camp before a battle as all of them competed for the honour of accompanying him into battle, shouting out their merits and equipment like grocery vendors at a market.

There was some other dream of which I remember very little, apart from that there was a scene involving some card game and the etymology of its name and related terms. I think it was called gokkok or something. I don't know.

But by far the funniest, and most horrifying, was an earlier dream that I remembered a while after waking up, where I'd gotten heavily intoxicated and done awful things to my vest. I only realised much later, too, somehow - I looked at it after having been wearing it and realised it had all sorts of utter garbage sewn on there were a backpatch is supposed to go. There was a big yellow Iron Maiden patch sloppily stitched onto it right there, and then the more I looked the more tacky bargain-bin patches I found on it.
I was showing it to a metalhead friend at the time who joined in laughing at me, and then I started frantically casting around the internet for proper patches with which to replace all the drek, finding that most of the ones I'd had my eye on in the past had since sold out.

Perhaps this is my subconscious's way of reminding me that the vest in question is really overdue for an update... :-[   
Booze is Life for Yoink

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: December 19, 2018, 06:38:01 pm »

While lying in bed with a fever a few nights ago, I spent a while trying to shake the waking-dream (hallucination?) that I was a nineteenth century Swiss watchmaker harassed by poltergeists.

The following nights have been mercifully blank.
One wheel short of a wagon

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: December 21, 2018, 03:54:39 pm »

And you know which is the true reality how?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4135 on: December 21, 2018, 07:08:09 pm »

Had a dream that was rather unique in being mostly auditory, a series of morse code bleeps with a background beat, with myself and another person occasionally remarking that it was annoying

*EDIT
Today's dream started off delightful and ended in a surreal nightmare, something rather like Lovely Sweet Dream. In the first part of the dream I was walking home from school or University, I seemed to alternate age every now and then from teenage to adult and back again as the context changed. Walking along the canal during a sunny day, one of my friends manages to push me into the canal (earlier I had pushed them in) - just before I take the plunge I manage to drop the old tome in my hand on the brick floor, but all the ancient texts in my bag were ruined by water. Disappointed that they were ruined, I said I wasn't going to accept that and brought time back 20 seconds. I fell again but was more prepared, however this time while I kept nearly all of my books dry, I hit the back of my head on the side of the embankments and the book in my hand fell in the canal. I said I would go back another 9 seconds, this time when I fell I sheltered my head with my palm, avoiding the worst of the impact. However the book in my hand was still gone - it'd been left behind in the future.

At this point my friend begrudges me for cheating by manipulating time and she calls for help, queue a roster call of about sixty past friends all jovially trying to help chuck me in the canal while I tried my best to explain I didn't mind so long as the books were protected. Things go awry after I clamp myself to the bars of a bridge, clinging for dear life and punching any who dared to approach lest I be overwhelmed and chucked in the canal. One of them grabs my spectacles and throws them in the canal, one of my friends retrieves it and passes it back to me. The person who had thrown the specs was no friend, they were a notorious cunt who was tremendously mean spirited to the world in their day; even to this day, while I can't remember their last name, I remember how they required no motive to pick a fight with quite literally anyone and everyone.

After they realised they were standing alone and everyone was pissed off at them, they backed away and ran into the underpass - one friend (who now resembled Alfred Hitchcock for some reason) and I pursued. The Hitchcock friend said to stop, and look for traps. I thought there was no way he would stoop so low as to deploy traps, but sure enough once I activated my phone torch, I found the tunnel exit blocked off, the wall hanging with nooses spaced throughout the tunnel and tripwires all over the floor - whether to knock us off balance or to activate some unseen mechanism, we weren't keen to find out. Nevertheless I did I find out after one of the tripwires was accidentally activated, causing two of the nooses to start shooting up into the ceiling, and our entrance to begin getting sealed by a sliding brick wall. Grabbing the rope, I managed to pull them down and bring the door open again, though it was proving increasingly arduous to maintain and there was the added issue of how I would eventually have to let go if we ever intended to leave.

Realising that this had gone from "prank" to "serial killer den" in 10 seconds, I called the police only to find my call picked up by the giga-cunt, who then showed up with a whole load of zombies to smugly gloat, with the zombies apparently not attacking the not-Hitchcock because he was the father of the arsehole. This seemed to surprise the not-Hitchcock too!

Being chased by the zombies, I took a stroll through my memories and ended up from southeast London to central London running through scenes in my memory - so I'd open one door and walk into a scene from another part of London, places that shouldn't be connected. The zombies followed at a sprint and were it not for the presence of flimy metal locked doors to slow them down, I'd have been ripped to pieces by them long ago. As it was, once they broke down the door they made a nightmarish slaughterhouse of the amalgamated building of memories, with people being torn, bitten and scratched into shorn limbs and ribbons of bloody bits. From behind a glass fire-window in a locked door I stared stunned, as the various mangled bits on the floor started to reanimate. Disembowled headless bodies rose up from the ground with their entrails dragging, severed heads wiggled their spines in futility, flexing contorted facial muscles in exercise. I nope'd the hell down the stairways as a headless torso opened up its torso to reveal a new maw formed out of its ribcage, this bloody barrel on legs bursting through the door to chase me down followed by a motley entourage of flesh chimeras so grotesque they'd make a Tzimisce blush.

The zombie-victim fleshlings were faster than me, so the only way I could escape was by dropping from floor to floor at the side of the stairwell, which was just barely faster than outrunning the gangly chestmouth leader. I prayed there wasn't any of them or the zombies waiting for me at the bottom of the stairwell, as I burst through... And found bored office workers. I quickly locked the door behind me and tipped a massive set of filing cabinets down on it, and then instructed all of the rest to help me do the same to the other doors at once. They asked why, and in a stroke of genius, instead of wasting valuable seconds explaining the nuances of apocalyptic flesh-constructs, I merely shouted "TERRORISTS!"

As we set about barricading the last two doors on the end of the hallway furthest from our first efforts, I began to wonder if it would be better to try and make the 40m sprint to the Thames river and try and get to a ship which could escape the UK altogether. One of the office workers begins wondering if the Thames could get clogged in waterlogged bodies (as by this point they had seen the real enemy was not terrorism, but the fleshlings), when just as one man was about to lock the door, it burst open and a thing began munching his face.

This thing was much more developed than any of the fleshlings hitherto seen, despite there having been barely an hour's time passed since the first sighting of the first zombie. It was corpse blue all over, with no head and no left arm, and a single long talon ended on its right arm. Its feet had three stubby bone lumps for toes/hooves, and faint scars showed where skin had grown over grevious wounds and torn limbs. Like barrelmouthboi, it had a chest-mouth, but this one wasn't a crude rib-cage thing, it was more like an octopus's beak, a solid streak of bone pliers now cutting through the poor man.

I grabbed this thing and pulled it out the other unbolted door, swinging it around by its talon and chucking it out. At once I took in the sight and realised getting to the river was not only impossible, but pointless. I was greeted by the sight of about a dozen fleshthings in various states of mutation, bloating, turning different shades of colour, one green bulbous thing with a horn on its head gnashed its teeth as it saw me and reached for me - only stopped as its arm was enveloped in a red worm made of its own arteries, its mutations continuing. While one of them got in my way, I somehow managed to split it in half with a fireaxe which was in my hand (in very dreamlike fashion, I never picked one up, it was just there). The body split in two revealed numerous wriggling worms, which seemed to fight with one another to decide whether they should try fixing the body or making two new ones.

The horde of demon mutant fleshlings began sprinting/pondering towards me and I shut the door, bolted it, dropped half a dozen bookshelves and cabinets over it, with more stationary for good measure until I was certain they were not getting through. I then did the same for all the rest. When we realised the dead office guy was still in the room we decided what to do; the solution was to hack his body up and burn it, but as we had no open ventilation anymore we resorted to using a barrel drum full of noxious chemicals. We then mused over our options and they were poor: If we made it to the river, the likelihood of getting on an uninfected boat on the pier was near-zero, while of the uninfected boats still on the river the likelihood they'd take us on if we swam to them was grim, while the chance of them being attacked by anything jumping from a bridge or occupying the floodgates was certain. If in the end any of the boats made it out of the estuary, it was likely there'd be a naval cordon by the remnant UK government, Europe, Ireland & the USA to keep these things from spreading off the island.

We concluded our best bets were to wait for everything to be nuclear bombed (as we were on the ground level of an incredibly sturdy building built to survive WWII, with plenty of supplies, our chances were higher staying put than moving out). As it happens, everything did get bombed to oblivion. In the aftermath most of the demon things were annihilated, and me and my tribe of office workers survived to roam the wastelands, perturbed by the occasional herd of demons that had survived - basically the dream turning into S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Swindon & Call of Peckham. This continued until our surviving tribe made it far west enough to find an Irish fortress outpost set up to research the eastern ruins.

*Editx2
Today's dream was a fairly straightforward obstacle race around what was a smaller London Underground, only the race was done without using your legs. Hauling myself around with my arms, I emerged the victor, with a face and belly blackened with soot.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 05:29:27 am by Loud Whispers »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: December 24, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »

Part of what little I remember was one of those vague mashups of a wide variety of IRL memories, places and experiences, but then there was another part where I think I was playing a game, Red Dead Whatever-style, with a western chase scene that ended in an artillery bombardment just as the main character caught up to some villainous (renegade?) military-type dude and their supporters.

Cue lots of people getting blown up by these explosive shells that were raining down (not sure what time period this was supposed to be) whilst the MC tried to pursue his target whilst not getting blown up himself. I think the baddy's 2IC got gruesomely exploded, then the baddy himself got cleaved in half by another shell, but I could be misremembering.
I know the main character then dove through a window into a little cabin in search of cover.
At first the whole scene seemed gory in the extreme, but as it went on I noticed the violence wasn't as realistic as it had been (seemed to be?) to start with. The people being blown apart had like these weird, leathery layers of muscle inside of them as opposed to guts and gore, and there was rather less blood-splatter than one would expect. Perhaps they were all actually (turned into) zombies or something? I dunno, it was weird. Maybe my subconscious just turned on the gore filter, haha.

Can't remember enough of any other parts of the dream to really comment on.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: December 26, 2018, 07:13:39 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:31:44 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: December 26, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »

I escaped a evil giant baby overlord by air-jumping through a giant cornfield while it chased me. Oh, and the baby was flying. Not air-jumping, just regular flying.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: January 10, 2019, 09:17:25 pm »

Had some crazy-long, action-packed dream last night. I really wanted to remember it as I was waking up, but most of it's gone now.
There was drama, kung-fu, kidnappings, extreme violence... dang I wish I could remember more. I had a much catchier description for it than that in mind when I first woke up, haha. The kung-fu and extreme violence parts were certainly highlights. Also I vaguely remember attacking someone with a pair of drawers I'd yanked out of a nearby piece of furniture... wait, not the underpants kind of drawers, the kind you put stuff in. Goddamn, what a confusing sentence.   

Edit: also I seem to remember the new version of DF being released amidst all the chaos. Just had to go and check if that was real.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:22:43 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 339