Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 569079 times)

Hotfire90

Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3900 on: June 13, 2018, 11:32:27 am »

Heh, neither was the case, my dreams just tend to be quite weird. Which incidentally reminds me of another extremely weird dream I had, something about a genocidal cow god AI that kept resetting time whenever I was close to stopping it, I'll definitely post about that once I remember all the details.

Edit: Oh cool, I did keep notes about that dream.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:34:11 am by Hotfire90 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: June 13, 2018, 11:38:20 am »

I recently had a dream where I was in the desert driving a car, then suddenly I was out of the car with the roadrunner form the Looney Tunes, punching him in the face and smashing his head in to the pavement. I'm not really sure what brought on that dream but it was kind of metal.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: June 18, 2018, 09:46:50 am »

What... did I just...

Okay so I dreamed I woke up from cryosleep in an apocalyptic future where biker gangs organized themselves based on either hating or supporting Twilight.  But no one has actually seen the movies at this point, so they're fighting over an incredibly warped word-of-mouth memory.  Basically two opposing cults.  (heh my dreamself forgot the books even exist, or maybe no one can read).

I was found by an anti-Twilight group who were impressed by my comprehensive understanding of how the movies are bad (nevermind that I vaguely enjoy them as an unintentional horror story of abuse, and commentary on fan fiction when pared with 50 shades.  And some of the music and settings are really pretty).  For my pre-apocalyptic knowledge I was given special status as... priest, basically.

But oh no, opposing bikers approached over a long bridge!  With pale gothy makeup and shiny chrome motorcycles.  Apparently they expected a weekly tribute of some kind (heh, blood maybe?) but my presence had inspired the anti-Twilight group to fight back this time.  So our group's leader and I picked up sledgehammers...  And uh...

Let's just say it got really gruesome and uncomfortable.  Why the heck?  I don't even have strong feelings about Twilight, particularly not its fans!  I'm definitely counting this one as another nightmare, because that ending got *weird*.  And why do I keep dreaming about being or killing vampires??

There was an unrelated dream segment where I was bicycling across a bridge made of 2-by-4.  They were placed longways and poorly, such that there were long thin gaps which bicycle wheels would fall through.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: June 19, 2018, 09:16:34 am »

Huh so a dream about hypnotized into playing modded Minecraft became another dream about being dead, and it was kinda neat.  Nice, no horror in this one.

The afterlife was a DMV lobby of sorts.  But the only thing keeping us in the room was ourselves.  We even got to see a line of people "moving on", including various recently dead celebrities.  The thing is, they were reincarnating into new lives.  My first reaction was to just struggle with the cosmic implications of that for a few minutes, that there was no true end to be found.  Was an interesting reaction on my part.

The room was cold and uncomfortable, and I was barefoot, but I noticed some people had shoes.  I spoke with the clerk, who was "happy" to give me warm socks.  And a notebook and pen.  He/she (it was an angel, technically) was like a bored underpaid motel clerk.  Not really hostile, willing to help, but doesn't volunteer anything.

For a while I just sat there and thought about my "life", which had involved scaling mountains and being tricked into playing Minecraft.  I was kicking myself for making certain mistakes yet again.  I wouldn't reincarnate with any memories, but I felt like I could change my "nature" with sufficient contemplation.  So I decided to take as much time as I needed, this time, sitting in that cold room and improving on my life strategies.

But when I tried to write down notes, the letters swam annoyingly.  When asked, the clerk told me it was now night-time, so dream-rules applied.  I realized that the waiting room was empty but for the two of us, most people having reincarnated.  A few stubborn souls like me had retired to side rooms to sleep, so I did so as well.

I had a dream-in-dream that I can't share every detail of, hehe.  It involved a former president and his wife, a bodyguard, and that oddly fun nausea-feeling from doing a triple flip underwater.  Apparently this couple had avoided reincarnation for so long that their "room" was a mansion with a grassy yard.  They even had realistic sunlight, which was treated like a very big deal in purgatory.  They acted like they got all this "contraband" by "pulling strings", but I suspect that it was just a result of building their paradise after years of refusing to move on.

I "woke" and immediately wanted to write the dream down.  As I returned to my seat and started writing, I noticed that it was already almost midnight.  The clerk just smirked at my confusion, as if in on some joke.  Perhaps it was always night, here.  I shrugged and reached in an unreal direction to acquire my laptop, to write on that instead, which caused me to wake up.  Next to my laptop.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: June 19, 2018, 10:42:40 am »

Oh, that's pretty cool! I like those kinda meta aspects of dreams.
Reminds me that I never did get around to posting a write-up of that cool dream I had about the afterlife some months ago...

And why do I keep dreaming about being or killing vampires??
Probably all the NWoD you play! :))

I just woke up from a mildly cool little dream. I've been sleeping too much lately, I really need to get my sleeping schedule back on track (I was working on that, but then hung out at a friend's place the past couple of nights which meant staying up real late), but at least it leads to a fair few dreams.
Only remember one from last night, though.
(Went to sleep at around 6pm and woke up after midnight. How disorienting.)

In this dream, I was playing some sort of base-building strategy game (which may have also been an RTS). Unfortunately I remember very little about it, but I think I had just restarted my run - I get the feeling I was still quite new to this game and had no real clue what I was doing.
I figured how to actually select starting skills for my odd-looking characters, which you could seemingly do whenever you wanted for a certain period of time after starting - and presumably tweak them as well, I guess. Interesting mechanic.
I set this one guy, who had a bit of a 'grizzled, elderly samurai wanderer' vibe to him, up with the bulk of the available melee combat skills. Can't remember what skills I gave to anyone else, I think I may have been distracted.

I noticed that a structure I had just started building was being attacked from somewhere, pelted with projectiles coming from over in the direction of a neighbouring, hostile settlement, and after scrolling to the left was bewildered to see this strange, circular structure being built into the (as far as I knew) impassable mountains at the edge of the map.
At least this didn't mean I was being shot at from off the map as I'd feared, which would have meant having to figure out how to send my meagre forces out to attack, but I still didn't know what to do here. How would I even get soldiers over those mountains? Could I build some sort of launcher of my own with which to attack theirs and have any hope of succeeding? Why was this happening so soon after the start of the game, after my last playthrough had lasted considerably longer without having seen any such thing?!

In any case, for the time being I just started constructing the next thing I'd planned to build, this giant (I'm pretty sure it was like, theme park ferris wheel-size, but then the map wasn't really to scale) rotating bubble-blower. I don't know why, either. The enemy launcher (which had what looked like a big light or screen taking up most of the top of it, in a pinkish-red colour, making the whole contraption look like some sort of LED or a giant gameshow buzzer or something) immediately redirected its fire to the new structure.
Frustrated, I quickly dug through the building menus looking for an auto-repairer (which was basically ripped straight from that game, unimaginatively titled Forts, on Steam) and built one or two of those next to my precious bubble wheel.

Then, after fiddling around for a bit setting up some bedrooms in this seemingly pre-existing structure my base was built around (maybe I'd just built it myself before the point that I savescummed to earlier), I woke up.

That was a pretty fun game/dream.
Some aspects were blatantly inspired by various real games, others were more mysterious. Wish I could remember more of it. Alas.
I think the 'being able to change up the skills of your characters early in the game' thing was inspired by D&D AL (which I really ought to get in on...) where you can apparently completely remake your character until level five or so.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: June 20, 2018, 12:54:22 pm »

I had a really, really detailed dream and I remember all of it. I was almost super late to work because of it.

So I woke up (in my dream) and started going through my morning routine. It was raining hard. It's worth noting that this was not in fact my actual home, but an apartment in a colossal complex that had a ridiculous number of stories, but it was nice enough and had open terraces and whatnot. It was apparently large enough to have a Burger King on the 5th floor, and a small toy shop next to that.Most of the exterior was made of a white/light-colored stone or concrete substance.

Anyway my wife and I went to visit a neighbor, and I offered to cook lunch and made some shrimp and rice. His APT was very messy. Anyway we went out and it was still raining but part of the terraces were covered so we went on a walk. The building was tall enough that if someone wanted to get a heavy object up to one of the upper floors, you used a sort of zip line pulley thing to raise it up to where you were. For some reason, all of the other residents we met were from Africa. Maybe we were IN Africa? I'm not sure. When we left we picked up Burger King to save for our son for later. They didn't have any toys he liked.

Anyway it was situated on a large lake with a parking lot, and another lake next to that. You needed a small bridge to get to our parking lot/complex, sort of like those artificial islands with the canals you see in the Miami/Florida area. Both lakes overflowed and the parking lot was under like 1-2 feet of water and the wind got really bad so I called in to work, and my boss was like wow yeah I hope you guys are ok. And then we hung out on our balcony watching the storm and my alarm clock went off (IRL too), and I was like heh, don't need to listen to that, I'm not going to work today.

Anyway we chillaxed on the balcony for a bit until I thought WAIT A SECOND. I DON'T LIVE HERE. Then I woke up and apparently my alarm clock had been going off for more than 30m.

My boss found this story highly amusing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: June 21, 2018, 10:58:22 pm »

So I had a dream that was something like the Sonic the Hedgehog crew combined with the nightmarish transformations of Devilman Crybaby, but in the style of a videogame like Charles Barkley: Shut up and slam gaiden. It was honestly a very creepy dream cause I couldn't shut the game off, any method to halt the .exe file, and it would automatically start right back up where it left off, forcing me to continue playing. Kind of like a nightmare, but with a creepypasta storyline.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3907 on: June 24, 2018, 09:07:00 am »

The dream began with myself walking through the City of London, when through a fountain an amalgamation of ochre red flesh burst through a fountain at high pressure. The flesh reformed and remoulded itself, with heads, arms and grasping appendages forming and disappearing into the mass without a seeming intelligence - simply spilling out of the square. I did not need much persuasion to flee from such a threat, but before I left I saw that the amorphous mass was not just spilling out of the fountain, it was spilling out of a tiny aperture in the air. This aperture seemed almost imperceptible, and there was no way to approach it without being enveloped by a horse's head which had split into two grasping maws. Running away from it however, seemed to cause me to run back to it, in some kind of strange loop. I had moved forwards, it was the dimensions of space which were wrong. From the other end of the aperture, the rift was wide, wide enough to allow light through it. The other end was considerably darker, not so much night-time as the total absence of light at all, only illuminated by the light being let in from a grey Summer's day on our end of the world. What was on the other end were flagellating things, semi-liquid, semi-plasma, dancing electricity and twitching muscles. Unable to figure out how to run away from this, I ran forwards, which as it happened allowed me to escape.

The next part of my dream followed my experiences weeks after this event occurred. There was much talk of demons invading our dimension, especially after angelic beings, like disembodied, spectral faces showed up to contain the chaotic blobs of discarded limbs and offal. They weren't angels, nor were the rift spawn demons, but the names nevertheless stuck because there weren't suitable nouns in the English language to describe such unusual figures. Each face refracted light through it, so you could see the face as a distortion through the air, while they each had four "wings" which radiated fractally from each corner of their face (or faces - some had multiple faces in the same sense that dice have six faces).

The angels came from another dimension, one they claimed was above ours while the demons came from one below us. They told us not to hate the demons, because there was no malevolence from them. The fleshy amalgams could hardly even be said to be truly living, being more a reflection of their reality which was simply bleeding out of their ordained place; they were destructive, consumptive, but not moral. In their reality, everything was relative, such that even the rules which defined their reality were entering a state of hyper-relativity which was bleeding into other realities. In the mean time, they opened the door to their reality to us as a safe refuge.

Taking up their offer (for who could turn down an opportunity to travel to another dimension, even if there was a high likelihood of deceit and damnation?) I was delighted to find that there was no evil or deceit in the supra-planar entity's offer. Their dimension was conducive to human happiness, but there were things which were distinctly off. The phrase "linear motion" came up often, but everything was perfectly linear to a degree which was disconcerting. It was impossible for example for an object to have non-linear acceleration, time progressed in a perfectly linear fashion everywhere in the world at the same time, I was talking to one of my old Professors who kept charting everything demonstrating how this world obeyed a logic, yet it was a logic which did not operate under any system which should work at all.

Things became even more complicated when it became apparent that people from other lower dimensions could choose to not follow the laws of physics of their host dimension, just as the chaotic amalgams followed their own reality instead of ours when in our dimension. This meant that humans could follow a different set of physics relative to the angel's dimension, which fucked everything up because the angel's dimension had no relativity. As a consequence the angels politely requested humans follow the laws of physics, to which most concurred would be polite.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: June 24, 2018, 10:14:48 am »

why can't I have dreams like that?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: June 24, 2018, 02:34:17 pm »

There are ways to train yourself to dream better. Always writing down everything you remember of your dreams as soon as you wake up, no matter how small, works wonders. It's also good training for getting lucid dreams. I should get back into that.

Alternatively, I've heard that hypnosis can enhance dreams.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3910 on: June 24, 2018, 04:14:40 pm »

Perhaps you need any of more: Stress, reading, vodka, ill life experiences, close death experiences, stoicism, friendship, betrayal, sincerity, seafaring, alienation, determination, spicyness, memory, invention... Writing down your dreams immediately after is a bloody solid start tho

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: June 24, 2018, 05:06:40 pm »

Yes. Though alcohol can also cause oddly dreamless sleep.
There are ways to train yourself to dream better. Always writing down everything you remember of your dreams as soon as you wake up, no matter how small, works wonders. It's also good training for getting lucid dreams. I should get back into that.

Alternatively, I've heard that hypnosis can enhance dreams.
Yeah, that's probably the best way.

I've also caused weird, illogical dreams by eating greasy and/or spicy food before bed. Pepperoni cheese pizza is the commonly known classic.

I also get them from napping during the day, might be a result of unusual lighting. Hasn't happened much this summer since I started sleeping well past dawn.
She/they

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: June 24, 2018, 05:10:03 pm »

Hugging someone, again
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: June 24, 2018, 07:35:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tl;dr: long series of awkward and embarrassing moments culminates in me slipping over in the middle of an increasingly-busy train station and somehow lacking the strength or coordination to pick myself up for a considerable amount of time, much to the amusement of countless passersby.

Gee, thanks, brain. >:(
I guess at least real life isn't quite so embarrassing.
Still, dream pretty much preyed on my worst and most believable fears. Ouch. At least the scenery in the first part I remember was nice.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3914 on: June 25, 2018, 04:15:29 am »

I was in the antarctic, helping one of my friends/colleagues adapt to the testing environment, as they had just arrived. Such basic life tips included not putting strong magnets next to digital equipment ;]
It was fairly spooky, with the howling wind definitely sounding like something horrendous was inside our base, but I told my colleague this was pretty regular and to enjoy some warming cocoa boiled from the kettle. A wise life choice to be sure. The sound of someone sneezing was surely heard, but after not being able to find anyone else, our alertness decreased. Afterwards we went outdoors, where surprisingly there were about a hundred people scattered all over the place, lightly dressed by arctic standards, while the sun was out and there was grass everywhere - it certainly didn't seem like the arctic, were it not for the fact that around this circular oasis of warmth and grass, it all looked very much like the bleak white landscape it had seemed before.
We associated with the people coming thither and that way, talked to political telemarketers keenly amused that they were talking to temporary Antarcticans, before having to return indoors as the circular green was enveloped in a gargantuan thunderstorm/snowstorm, which destroyed or forced cracks in many of the walls, letting the warmth out. To stay warm, we burned the star wars franchise
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 339