Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 512712 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3840 on: March 28, 2018, 01:36:49 pm »

Lets be serious, KittyTac has been an AI this entire time
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: March 28, 2018, 04:02:10 pm »

AIs which play roles for humans to create interesting stories with?
That's pretty DF, heh.

I love Westworld!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: April 07, 2018, 11:53:03 am »

Had a dream in which people were dissappearing. From certain individuals to entire cities at a time. Buildings were left untouched, as were wildlife, but even peoples pets would disappear without a trace if you turned your back on them.

I was with a handful of other people that had taken shelter in a college campus or something that ran off a generator, lots of news channels were off the air because there was nobody to staff them, the internet was down because the servers lost power or didnt have anyone to maintain them, the whole structure of our society was moot, because nobody was left to run their little parts of it. It was pretty freaky.

At some point i was in a farm field gathering produce at night and i kept hearing things around me, i thought i saw something human-like but maybe an alien, and then everything was gone again, and everyone else in my group had vanished when i got back. And i dont know if thats because I was misplaced into an empty world, or they were taken, or what. It was a disturbing dream in retrospect
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: April 07, 2018, 08:59:07 pm »

I was one of the last defenders of Earth against an alien threat.  I was a cyber-amazon, able to access a comprehensive array of weapons by tapping my right temple.  (my shades, and their impression on the side of my head).  It wasn't the greatest bughunt, but I mostly survived (with a couple gory rewinds).

Then I was just standing with all my friends at a glass wall, looking down on a marshy ditch full of corpses.  And the dying.

That was three nights ago.  I haven't slept soundly since, waking up at all hours to forget things.  I'm exhausted.  Tonight I hope to sleep a dreamless sleep...  But there might not be such a thing.  Only dreams we sleep through, and forget.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:52:37 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: April 07, 2018, 09:21:20 pm »

I had an unusually long dream lastnight.  Of course it's fuzzy now, so I can't remember the details.  I just remember that I got really pissed off and spiteful at the world for whatever situation I was in.  I think I was entangled against my will with some sort of terrorist group or gang or something.  I lived in their community compound.  And they had a nuke in their possession.  So I managed to sneak away with the truck this nuke was in.  Drove hundreds of miles away, set it off next to a nuclear power plant, and then went back home.  Fucked up an immense area.  Killed lots of people, and caused a lot of chaos.  I have no clue what the dream logic was behind this action.  I think it was to put pressure on the bad people I was involved with, as they knew their nuke was used to pull this off, had no idea how or why, and internal discord was sewn as they tried to figure it out and stressed out over it getting traced back to and ruining them.

The majority of the dream was feeling a huge amount of remorse about what I'd done while watching the news and hearing people talk about it and stuff, and constant paranoia as I went about my normal daily life wondering if it was ever going to be found out that I did it and replaying the act over and over in my head picking it apart for clues I might have left that could give me away.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: April 07, 2018, 09:35:57 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:53:12 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: April 09, 2018, 11:48:14 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:34:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: April 09, 2018, 11:57:26 pm »

This might not be the place  to ask, but is there any (easy) way to make dreams less stressful?
Eliminate stress from your waking life? Sleep on your side instead of your back?

(that second one may be nonsense, but it seemed to work for me)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: April 10, 2018, 12:06:25 am »

This might not be the place  to ask, but is there any (easy) way to make dreams less stressful?
Eliminate stress from your waking life? Sleep on your side instead of your back?

(that second one may be nonsense, but it seemed to work for me)
It's 100% real if you have sleep apnea. Asphyxiating yourself is surprisingly stressful! (And you're less likely to do that if you're not sleeping on your back.)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: April 10, 2018, 05:37:28 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:34:03 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: April 10, 2018, 06:42:53 am »

I've had some issues with that as well, with night sweats and "waking up from a war", but I have a feeling it's because one of the meds I take in order to actually fall asleep has a potential side effect of "some pretty damn wild dreams", which I can never seem to remember afterwards.

Also sometimes causes restless leg, which makes falling asleep that much harder again. Durr.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: April 12, 2018, 09:20:22 am »

I've had some issues with that as well, with night sweats and "waking up from a war", but I have a feeling it's because one of the meds I take in order to actually fall asleep has a potential side effect of "some pretty damn wild dreams", which I can never seem to remember afterwards.

Have you tried keeping a dream journal? Writing down what you can remember immediately after you wake up helps dream retention, I've heard. And personally, even when I can't remember much , often the act of writing down the dream uncovers more than I initially remembered.
~~~
I tried this thing called wake-induced lucid dreaming last night. The gist of it is that you go to sleep, but use mental tricks(counting and the like) to stay fully conscious as you fall asleep, and as a result go straight into lucid dreaming. I expected either it wouldn't work(as it's supposedly really hard) or it would(and yay).

Instead, I kinda got stuck in between being awake and asleep. I've read that your body is supposed to go sorta numb as it falls asleep, and I did notice that... in the lower half of my body plus extremities. No matter how long I tried, I couldn't get it past that point. I never quite fell asleep(during those weird two hours, at least, the rest of the night I got a normal night's sleep), but things got weird anyway. Sorta like a bit of dream creativity got lodged in my lucidity. I figured out the secret to making friends, for one thing. The trick is that other people want to make friends with you too. All you have to do is be open to the possibility.
At some point, I decided enough was enough and opened my eyes. Immediately I got hyperactive and felt like I had already slept eight hours... kinda. My first words were reflexively "holy cow".

I don't know what happened last night. I think I'm going to try the method again and see if I can get it right this time. Feedback would be nice, though.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

blazing glory

« Reply #3852 on: April 12, 2018, 04:32:54 pm »

I remember the tail end of my dream where I was in my house talking to my brother, some woman called me, excitedly asked me questions about something I'd written (which was related to the game SS13 in some way). And then informed me that this meant the Second Coming of Jesus was tomorrow because there were two Jesus eggs, one of which that hatched all those years ago (presumably in Mary) and the other which was going to hatch tomorrow.

This was probably related to the fact that I looked up how twins worked before I went to bed, one type of which involves two fertilized eggs in the mother.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:36:16 pm by blazing glory »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: April 12, 2018, 04:59:38 pm »

Also, Easter was, like... Not that long ago. Plenty of Jesus eggs involved then.

RE: FallacyofUrist, for as verbose as I can be on the forum, when it comes to handwriting I am at about the level of a five-year-old. Putting pen to paper is slow, humiliating, and after any particular length of time; painful. I also get physically uncomfortable when just looking at my own wandering, unsteady script, and generally keep such endeavors to matters of utmost necessity.

I'd tried out similarly-inclined journals before, but the idea was somewhat sabotaged when I'd occasionally have trouble falling asleep because I dreaded having to write an update in the morning. So, yeah... probably not going to go for that again any time soon.

I have had some terrifyingly half-conscious experiences as of late, but those instances involved some R-rated content and are as such not really appropriate for forum consumption. The Adeptus Astartes were present, however, so it's all good.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: April 13, 2018, 10:57:03 am »

Hm.

Maybe you could keep a video or audio-based journal?
~~~
My efforts towards lucid dreaming are paying off. Sortakinda. Several attempts at wake-induced lucid dreaming throughout last night failed, but at the very end I had one partially lucid dream. As in, it was very strongly lucid in the very beginning but slipped away quickly as I failed to sustain the state.

Interestingly, this was also the first night I ever had a false awakening in one of my dreams.

I've noticed an interesting pattern in my strongly lucid dreams: a first-person perspective. The less lucid I am, the more my dreams resemble stories that I'm watching from a passive perspective, the more lucid, the more control I have over my own actions, and the more... fuzzy everything looks. I've heard that focusing on details within the dream helps develop improved dream perspective.

Oh. What happened in the dream? Well, for starters, my bedroom got blown the heck down by a giant wind and I got dropped out of the sky. I did kinda ask for the dropping out of the sky part, though, before I fell asleep, so...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 339