Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 512690 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3180 on: August 16, 2016, 10:45:45 am »

-special operator program in the far-flung future as a time travelling supersoldiers designed to counter Russia's-
This is literally the plot of Original War (RTS video game).

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: August 17, 2016, 02:08:40 am »

I think I finally had a sequence of dreams worthy of this thread.

First, I was browsing as usual with my family, until I felt a bump at my back and a tweenage boy walked past me, very obviously holding my wallet and someone else's. I immediately started running after him, screaming for others to help, though my family had disappeared for some reason. The pickpocket turned a corner to another aisle, where I catched up to him, being held by my wallet chain by another customer. The thief had a face now, which bore some resemblance to a local real life delinquent, but not enough to call him an expy. I took my wallet and continued on.

Second, I was suddenly walking towards the checkout with my mother, when I hear a woman yell for me to stop someone. I glance behind to see a young child running with a single piece of salty liquorice candy. I move my leg enough to stop him, and the woman, presumably the child's mother, catches up to them. I hear the child explain how they were just going to take the candy to the machine that goes beep i.e. the checkout counter.

Third, I'm in the supermarket's parking lot with all of my family. The supermarket was still in its old building that was demolished a couple years ago in order to make room for a bigger, better one, but that didn't matter much. I wondered for a second where we were going in the parking lot, when suddenly a car drove in. I instantly had the feeling that it was stolen from my father, even though the license plate was blurry and the car's colour shifted between a stock silver and my father's car's colour. I ran after it, and soon it parked for a young couple to get out of it. They started walking towards the supermarket, i.e. past me. They had faces, but not of anybody I could recognize from real life. I complimented the car, and the man thanked me, but when I sarcastically asked him where he got it, he wouldn't answer and walked away. I ran to the car, which was for some reason parked balancing on its right wheels with the left side of the car up at an angle, like in some stunt show. I could now confirm the license plate and my shirt was on a seat in the car, though the paint colour had now settled on the stock silver. The car next to it, which was parked similarly, suddenly fell to all of its wheels and turned on, even though I didn't see anyone get in. It drove away with me thinking how it's way too old a model to be a self-driving car. Then my father's car did the same thing and started driving towards my family with nobody inside it. (My father's car is not a self-driving one.) I ran by it and it stopped next to my family, who started climbing into it, when I saw the couple from before exit the supermarket. I told my family to wait, pulled my phone's camera function up and asked the thief to turn around. He wouldn't, though his apparent girlfriend/wife did give a doubtful glance at me, then her boyfriend/husband and asked him what was going on. He wouldn't answer, and started running away, holding her wrist and keeping his back strictly towards me. I ran after him, and after a block the scene faded away.

I had the feeling someone stole my father's car, installed a self-driving AI into it and repainted it only so he could use it to hit on a girl.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: August 17, 2016, 06:12:47 am »

I'm going to skip the first bits (trains, cars and bicycles were involved, and an impossible-to-use ramp down into a U-haul garage, which is weird given I don't encounter U-haul at all, here in the UK) and get to the end-game where I/we (not sure who I was being first-person for, most of the time) landed in some form of dys/utopia.

Given positions of power (or at least priviledge) our group of three (or more) 'incomers' tried to stick to the social rules but twice did one member drink from a cup previously used by another, to general outrage. Some smart thinking resulted in two rows of white-clad 'medical enforcers' taking up alternate sides and in synchrony to each other* performed ritualistic 'doctorish' arm-sweeps of examination in a contactless ideological civil war of some kind.

My main(?) protagonist, though, is in far more control and goes home to his apartment, and is 'visited' by an individual with some sort of thought-police authority to check that he isn't watching his TV (or the wrong things). Protagonist has fooled him, though. authority figure goes to turn on the TV (an ancient small-screen-in-art-deco-cabinet thing) only to be blasted by air from the air-conditioner (in an art-deco cabinet) that it actually was. Protagonist has been spending his time switchng the functions (often quite improbably, if not impossibly) between items in his home, although I know this mostly from off-camera exclamations (saves on the visual-imagination aspects to the dream) as I follow protagonist round his book-stacks/etc, listening to the antagonist getting more and more surprised and annoyed and inconvenienced by finding the fridge is really a fishtank, the innocuous-looking stack of magazines is very hot to the touch, etc, etc...

* meanwhile, my more lucid thoughts were treating this as a film set, wondering how much rehearsal tbe groups had had in order to move with such synchrony. I was looking out for individuals performing whilst looking 'off camera', perhaps, to the unseen choreographer, although that was nothingnto do with the tale being told, which was 'real'.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: August 17, 2016, 06:53:34 am »

I choked my older brother until he was purple, realising he was dead and I didnt want that, I preformed CPR reviving him.
I told him to never do that again (touch me)

I felt incredibly powerful but I never wanted him dead.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: August 17, 2016, 11:39:54 pm »

Had a dream about a game where I was Cthulhu. When it finished, it asked me if  I wanted to comment on it. I accidentally pressed the okay three times, so it brought me to the "comment" screen, then submitted it immediately, then closed the message that came after it. Doing that unlocked "God Mode" for me in the menu, but I wanted to see what the message was. I tried it again, but there was no message this time. I was kinda annoyed, and I then saw that the option to comment was replaced by the "stay calm" option, the "get angry" option, and the "get really angry option." Then I woke up.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: August 18, 2016, 03:43:49 am »

Then I woke up.
Lies. You hammered that 'GRVA' button and we all know it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: August 21, 2016, 05:02:35 am »

I remember very little, but I do remember being a lake of some kind and my car getting knocked into it, I was rather upset about this but I later got a big truck. My new truck was around the same location that my car was sunken in and I was preparing to go somewhere with a group of people, one of them got too excited and somehow managed to pull the vehicle and accidentally made it go into the water and sink. I felt nothing, I started saying "I'm done." over and over again in a monotone voice as I pull my shoes and socks off and throw them in the water. I don't even acknowledge the one who made it sink, I just continued to say that I was done for a while as I walk away and find a strange robotic suit with many arms, I get inside and take control of it and I went back to the area where my car sank, with the help of the people with me I lift the truck out of the water. It had changed, it looked like a rusty boat with some sort of ancient style to it, I also find some old papers inside of a box, I thought they would be rotten and would be no good to look at.

The scene shifts to a room inside a house and I'm looking and tiny pictures with a rather excited hawk, its rather interested in the pictures and it wants me to show it them. The dream ends shortly after.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: August 21, 2016, 06:43:46 am »

There was that one time a couple months ago, where I dreamt I died in a plane crash. Nothing unusual, except maybe for the fact that the plane was flying over a skiing track.
And then, I had another dream I don't remember too much about, except that it was in a restaurant, and that it was mostly the usual stuff for me - it involved my family and some really illogical stuff that happened in a H2G2-esque manner, with everybody being perfectly OK with it.
So far, nothing too interesting. Except that in the second dream, I still thought I was dead, and I was convinced that I was a ghost, even though I was perfectly tangible, and everything still happened as if I was a normal living person. I guess I somehow managed to make my brain glitch on that one.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: August 21, 2016, 09:39:42 am »

I still thought I was dead, and I was convinced that I was a ghost, even though I was perfectly tangible, and everything still happened as if I was a normal living person.
I think there's some kind of mental disorder where the person believes they're dead, even though they're not.

That sometimes winds up resulting in the person's initial assumptions being correct after they try to fly or do other things ghosts normally can do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: August 21, 2016, 11:57:48 pm »

E: Possible point of personal depression down there and dark notes. :O

I have lucid dreams about everyday, or at least every other day, so the trouble is mostly detailing everything happening :I One major point here is that when lucid dreams happen--I always wake up before my alarm clock, no matter what time it is generally set (although a key point here is that it's usually between 6-8am, and sometimes I hear the alarm sound in the background of my dreams then I go "Ugh, why do I have to wake up now, I'm busy backflipping. :I" ...and the alarm sound is something out of Hello Kitty bells and chimes. Sometimes this leads to hilarity but I digress.)

In recent months however, they've began taking a surreal-real kind of tone. A tone always along the theme of thought.

Imagine a dormitory, one of those with long concrete halls and polished floors, added with a somewhat dilapidated feel (albeit open for tenants) and that's where I can at least track before I wake up. Add in the tone of bad lighting everywhere--the lights spaced 'just enough' that each hallway would be lit with patches of dimness in between, and the walls having doors very far apart. There are no potted plants or other decorations, just a very clear reflection with just enough opacity that you can distinguish the floor from the ceiling. I was walking (or gliding...flying? I usually fly or hover in my dreams because woo, lucid dream powers [alongside teleportation and short time travel :v]) through the halls until I spied a nearby stairwell heading downwards to the side--I was about a few floors up I guess.

Now imagine the scene as if there's a film tone covering the view, as if it was dipped a bit in algae. That was my vision as I went down the stairs. The next two floors below took on a feel as if...something like a train hallway(?) [Like that scene in Harry Potter where the Hogwarts Express passes by, or the one before that? I've never been to a train station in my life.] filled with benches and those old, stylish lanterns -- it was muchly a hallway, sans the train tracks, but with the random person sitting down on benches spaced evenly throughout until the next stairwell. I couldn't see their faces because most were hidden under the newspapers or fabulous hats British or European people wore back 20 or so years ago, and they were all under a lantern themselves. The walls were a plain white, and despite the light around me every floor I went downwards made the ceiling a lot more darker reflected by the floor, as if I every floor was more 'outside' than 'inside' in the tone and lighting. There was always a stairway down, and I never saw a glimpse of the people sitting on the benches. None of them moved.

Then came the last hallway before I woke up. The big difference was the lack of people and one other thing; there were benches, and the lanterns were now drifting suspended in the air, with the one other thing being that the middle was lined with...sinks, with square mirrors,
with two of them cutting across the hall. They were aligned down the middle, facing the walls, so I could see my reflection in the mirror, along with the dim (and 'grim') tone of the walls. I moved right from the stairwell as it seemed it ended there and (barring silly stuff I forgot), there was a grim specter of a being which drifted upon me. The silly stuff was that the 'point of view' shifted far to the right to show 5 folks...all from the different Starbound races (sans human or Novakid), represented in a realistic style...or better represented in the style of Darkest Dungeon characters. So they were both military-like and fancy, but also darn shady (in the truest sense of shady) ._. and facing down the specter...which was between me and them, in a battle that pretty much screams 'turn-based RPG'. They were buffing each other's stats with something like a haka, since I forgot the term in my language, and somehow it was the specter who moved out of turn and attacked me.

Cue Dementor feelings :v [/ReadTooMuchHarryPotter]
Cue years of self-doubt and otherwise challenging you in dreams, where your words are not purposely in mind, but also purposely of mind. Years of anxiety unspoken, and fears and trauma running through the language of thoughts--too fast to form into words and only glimpsed half in feelings. I should feel cold and other unhealthy feelings, but I felt pretty...normal. This also felt pretty normal since I'm used to not running from nightmares--but this didn't feel like a nightmare.
It asked me a question, while drifting an inch from my face that I could only see its shroud and wrappings. I felt as if questions were being asked, though there were no words at all: I was being questioned to the core of my being. I was questioned if I really did want to die. (context being: I'm depressed :O)

With the answer as if slipping through my lips, I said "No", and felt myself gently waking up at the same time I 'said' it--though it felt more like the word escaping my lips instead. I could say 'as if returned back to my body' but that'd be poetic, although that also feels like a good description.

...Oh, and in the split second before that, I could see in the background those 5 fellows all jumping to attack the spectre from behind. Pretty hard to tell when you've an entity blocking your face, and you only have peripheral vision of a sink mirror. I guess it ran out of AP anyway.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:05:08 am by Tiruin »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: August 22, 2016, 02:08:25 am »

That whole dream seems pretty disturbing, honestly. Like, the sort of dreams that startle me awake.
And I'm sorry to hear that you're depressed. Hope things can get better for you!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: August 22, 2016, 03:20:32 am »

That whole dream seems pretty disturbing, honestly. Like, the sort of dreams that startle me awake.
And I'm sorry to hear that you're depressed. Hope things can get better for you!
It's something I've handled. Thank you for that!
But uh, I forgot to add in that perhaps the dark bits there may also relate to my 'RPG-styled health' since I remember snippets going along health bars :v (although I never had one). Anyway yeah! Thanks :D

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: August 22, 2016, 04:05:12 am »

Going round to a friend's house quickly turned into a budget sort of Zootopia.
One wheel short of a wagon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: August 22, 2016, 08:42:02 pm »

A small epic. Much abridged, here.

An early bit involves trains, but skipping over that as the memories fade too much...

Now some sort of supersoldier units (seem normal, later exhibit superhuman or technomagical abilities) are under attack, in separate locations. Some communicate with each other (work out a big clue as to their location by tallying the identification of weaponry picked up as part of one of their operations) but one set are isolated by jamming and 'earthquake generators' placed on wall-beams. Until they realise this and strike back, whilst another unit hides in a wedding reception..?

I'm seeing this all, of course, 3rd petson tale mostly.  But then suddenly I'm reading it in a magazine (New Scientist, possibly). A magazine that has moving images showing, both as maps and of great hints that the tale is actually Frankenstein: A Modern Prometheus, rewritten. (Complete with monster floating on a miniature iceberg.) And I'm reading this by the light of a TV whilst laying in bed, pretending to be asleep, in a flat that I've never owned whilst at university, together with an ex-colleague (who never went to that university, or any) who starts talking to me and I 'sleepily respond' to his tale until I can fake the bonds of morpheus no longer and 'awake' to talk to him about life.

We depart, but now from my parents' home, a totally different locale. I leave my bicycle in the road, perfectly balanced, and remark upon this infuriatingly dullishly, until we have to keep moving, turn around and up a clone street to my parents'. Oh look! A lobster! (It is a land-lobster, semi-transparent, muddy brown in colour as far as its opacity goes, due to living on street detritus.) And it doesn't like me paying attention to its near-camoflaged appearance, as it hisses and spits smoking-vapour from its tail.

Except that it is quite obviously now mechanical. There's a vicious chainring rotating at high revs, contributing to the smoke and (now) noise, and sense of danger. We think it is a device left by the person we are to visit, to discourage the uninvited. And it is their birthday (two balloons are ambiguously tied up to the shared gatepost betwixt their house and their neighbours.

But then I awake, never learning more about them.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: August 23, 2016, 10:45:30 pm »

I had another "detective dream".

I don't remember enough of the buildup to it to type it down, and I'm sparing a few details, but I ended up catching a serial killer red-handed with an about-to-die victim in his den. He congratulated me for finding him, pointed out a letter hidden under a television (apparently a confession and list of past victims), and then bloodily died of no apparent cause before I could react.

The weird part is, it didn't feel like a nightmare despite all the corpses and gore. I'm not sure if I'm desentisized or something, but death just fails to squick me.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 339